Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TD05 vs. VF22?

Ryan

pros and cons for both.

TD05 is rebuildable the vf22 is not.

TD05 is prob a bit more responsive while the vf22 will make more.(much of this will depend on tuning anyhow).

what does the person doing the work on your car recommend? If they have a preference for one over the other its probably wise to go with that.

Rossmnz said:

pros and cons for both.

TD05 is rebuildable the vf22 is not.

TD05 is prob a bit more responsive while the vf22 will make more.(much of this will depend on tuning anyhow).

what does the person doing the work on your car recommend? If they have a preference for one over the other its probably wise to go with that.

TD05 would generally be considered not as responsive as a VF22.

A TD05 with 20g upgrade would have similar CFM as the VF22.

To make the most of either of these turbos then (20psi) a forged engine is recommended.

22 can be rebuilt.. so can a 23 or other ball bearing VF series turbo..

Mines being rebuilt right now.

and people have varying comments on a td05 vs 22, both are similar in terms of performance, the td05 prob less responsive, but capable of similar power, both not liking to much more than 20psi for extended periods.

difference is very opinion based - i.e each to their own (which is fair enough)

I've seen great results on both.

funkytown said:

difference is very opinion based - i.e each to their own (which is fair enough)

I've seen great results on both.

you are pretty much bang on. different strokes for different folks. I suppose if you get the desired result then it doesnt really matter how you get it right?

Ryan said:

Which is 'better'? Broad question I know. I have a WRX STi V2, looking at getting a TD05 with a 20G wheel, but have come across the VF22 which I heard is excellent..your opinions please?

Both are as ancient as each other.

I wouldn't call either excellent at best average. If i had to choose between those 2 go the TD05

VF22 is known to be fragile

TD05 20g from what i have seen can make more power but YMMV.

I agree with Qwerty, the 22 is meant to be brittle. As I understand it they dont like much more than 18 psi or so before shedding some compressor blades. I own one and it wont be getting more than that until it gets a compressor upgrade IF I decide to go that route.

The td05s will take a shit load more and with a 20g comp wheel have the potential to make a lot more power at the cost of some lag....18g might be a better balance for a road car IMHO.

vf22 is a much better turbo, have had both on my car running 16psi and the vf22 went way better. bit more laggy but the extra pull is worth it.

Guest SPANKU

vf22 isnt rebuildible. u can not replace the bearings in it. ur blades are the one that is getting replaced. not the bearings.

ive ran my VF22 all day at 22PSI on my old car. so who ever said they cant get more then 18psi u seem to be a real expert. ive seen alot of JDM WRX running 22psi all day.

dont forget its depending on the age of the turbo and the condition of it.

think of it like this.... IF the TD05H was sooo farken good why did they replace it with the VF series?

right.... old technology... might push the wheel barrow everywhere if u into old tech

Guest SPANKU

correction:

vf22 can be rebuild but its cheaper getting a new one.

i remember asking around while i was in auckland and rang up NZ turbo, and they said it can be replaced but its cheaper or cost the same price to get a new one

Steve M can rebuild the vf turbos and the garrett gt ones, Saying you cant do anything with them is an oldschool of thought, its just most turbo rebuilders are too lazy to think outside the box and just do it. And most spend thier lives only rebuilding truck turbos(just fitting rebuild kits) and don't want to deal with modifying things, Steve is good as he will do things others wont.

Not everyone has a turbo balancer in their shed.

As for vf22 v td05, i like the vf exhaust housings better than the td05 subaru ones but both turbos are far too small.

i have just swaped from a tdo5h on my nz 97 wrx to a vf22,and i tell u this i wont be goin back to a tdo5 anytime soon, as for how much psi they can run easy 20psi not a prob but the i thing they are pron to do when they run big boost is fly to pieces

BC5RA said:

Wow, thanks for that ReubenH ::)

I had written more, i've been told and seen on the net they are right up there with the VF22's. But i checked the facts like everyone should and found that not to be the case. Thanks for the sarcasm btw, you're a champ.

Guest SPANKU

ive seen one car, blue ralley wrx with H6 motor twin vf22 getting 270kw+ this was on one of the nzperformance mag

Ryan said:

Does the VF22 bolt straight on to where the TD05 was? If not, what needs to be changed?

Standard td05's on Wrx's have a 90 degree bend on the compressor cover, if your V2 is a stock setup you'd have to change around your setup a little unless you can use a 90 degree silicon bend on the front of the 22.

sorry i'm not more help but everyone seems to be missing your question