Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What is the most Kelvins I can have in my Headlights?

matty231

Hey everyone, I searched for posts like this but couldn't find one :(

Uhhh okay, anyone know what the MAX amount of Kelvins in to pass a WOF?

I heard it was 4000k but i'm not certain of that, I want to get some new H1 NARVA Ultra Blue's tomorrow to accomodate my new blue bulbs.

Thanks,

Matt ;D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dynofiend

K refers to the 'colour' temperature, so it would depend entirely on the testers opinion as to whether your bulbs appeared to be too blue/purple for their liking. I dont think there would actually be a definative answer.

You could always, retain the original part of the bulb wiring loom, and just slot in the old bulbs for wof time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • General Member

any one got recommendations? I am driving minus 1x low beam and keen to a retro fit into my BG5 ( PIAA hid 6500K are top of list)

is it worth it?

TM link http://shrunklink.com/crid

seems to an option?

anything wrong with the 1$ reserve ones?

http://shrunklink.com/crie (another TM link) search TM for HID lowest price

http://forum.altezzaclub.org.au/index.php?showtopic=696

good info here

Once again I must make the comment that these are illegal

cannot have hid unless it a factory unit

BUT

The light out put of HID low beam would be awesome

they dont work as well in a highbeam application in NZ(unless u can have them on for extended periods)

I have spent a bit of time on the altezza site as my son has just brought one(catsoup on here)

he has a altezza gita wagon 3 litre straight 6

very very nice no AWD though

I expected to really like HID headlights but strangely, they're not as great as I was expecting.

They're fantastic when it is actually dark but they don't seem to do the business when other cars are around or under street lighting and the highbeam is rather disappointing as the highbeam bulbs are regular bulbs.

And that is the issue with most headlight upgrades

u either have good dip and crap highs

or good highs and crap dips

Unless u have like what I have on my landcruiser

P1000124.JPG

I have upgraded the complete setup

the Main units have been upgraded to Hella inserts and 130/90 bulbs

the Cibie Spotties have 130 bulbs in them

the Cibie Fogs have 55s in them(kept on blowing the 100s)

All are run thru independent relays and a flasher Unit

it has AWESOME lights :)

I just finished reading the entire wof requirements vehicle lighting on the land transport website.

I could not find any requirements saying HID lights could not be used on cars that did not receive them from factory.

And the only reference to colour I could find said that it needed to be mostly white in colour. So if there is a visible blue hue then they probably won't pass.

Do they make a big difference in light on a Subaru?

Guest boostin

Performance

15. When switched on, a headlamp emits a light that is:

a) not substantially white or amber, or

b) different in colour or intensity from the other lamp in a pair, or

c) not steady, or

d) not bright enough to illuminate the road ahead, eg due to modification, deterioration or an incorrect light source, or

e) too bright, eg due to the fitment of an HID conversion kit (Note 9) or other incorrect light source.

Thats the killer there. They're too bright and dazzle oncoming drivers. Supposedly.

GC8E2DD said:

What sort of bulbs are people running in their gen one Imprezas? Currently my headlights are akin to half dead penlight torches - even on high beam.

i have a weird problem where my v2 ra has different 100/90W H4's - rally spec headlamps :P

'normal' H4 bulbs dont fit, the tags dont match up

one has since blown and have a 'good' price of about $95 to replace one genuine bulb... ouch..

Guest boostin
 kamineko']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

What sort of bulbs are people running in their gen one Imprezas? Currently my headlights are akin to half dead penlight torches - even on high beam.

/quote]

i have a weird problem where my v2 ra has different 100/90W H4's - rally spec headlamps :P

one has since blown and have a 'good' price of about $95 to replace one genuine bulb... ouch..

All V2 RA's have those lamps. Try modifying a standard H4 to suit.

i got blue head lights and spotlights like stated above the 8500k ones are bright as day now after saying that of course one of the spot lights blew and when i went to buy some more the guy said he's not allowed to sell them anymore as there illegal so what is the legal limit for looking at these one as there cheap compared to when i bought the 8500k ones

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=227724667

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=227511750

shouldn't be an issue aye?

kamineko']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

/quote]

They are not an H4 :)

they have a different designation but i am not sure what they are