Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Having your cake and eating it as well...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea well i love the mid range the vf23 brings... is awesome for getting up and going instantly... but i would love some more top end for sure...

would be great to overlay some plots of other turbos with a td05 20g on top :) :) :P

I have a TD05 18g and compared to a 23 or 22 both of which I have had its a lag monster, really good once it spools but rubbish for street driving, really needs avcs or the bin lol. I did lots of research before I got it and the 18g was meant to be one of the best turbos to get, after driving it Id never get one again, in fact Ill be going to Garrett later in the year which has been proven to be very very good.

sr40vsvf22vsvf23vstd051.jpg

I have overlayed the 22 (red) and the 23 (orange) that I did have, the 23 was on a std ecu, the 22 was on wastegate boost but tuned. The other 2 are the 18g (blue line) and the bolt on Garrett that I will be going to (green line, graph was from another car with fairly similar mods to mine)

so just a bit of a question... i want the same if not better mid range but i want some killer up top power to go with it... do u recomend the gt3071r like what you have? is there anything else that would do the trick... whats a GT35R go like??

why do all the chinese turbos seem to lag so bad for?? poor design?

for street driving honestly the vf34 is fastest, easily best kw for $$. Id bet my arse the vf34 graph qwerty posted up would skin me on the street. There is no stuffing round with twisting it and making new water oil lines etc, so the costs is MILES less.

for track work mines faster.

there are the likes of AVO and HKS that do gt2871 and gt3071r turbos, then there are genuine garretts like mine, all are the goods, Simon C has a td05 18g from a Apexi or HKS or something, and he thinks its the goods.

A gt35 is the next frame size up from a gt30 turbo so it will make more up top - but is very very laggy on a ej20. GT35s are suited to ej25's and make 350kw fairly easily.

Chinese ones just copy the R&D all the real companies do and they dont have as strict build standards and quality so they a) dont usually last as long and b) dont perform as well.

yeah i know the cheap ones suck have had a few chinese t04es on other cars ive owned and well the oil seals??? what oil seals haha they just spill the oil out man haha

vf34 seems pretty ultimate aye...

i dont intend on doing this but just a random thought...a VF34 with p20 exhaust housing? would this just lag alot more and not much gain as the exhaust isnt the limiting factor?

to quote qwerty from earlier somewhere, the p18 and p20 housing seem to have no affect on the vf30/34 and its top end performance. Thus = the p18 housing is not the restriction on the top end.

I think his results showed it to be more laggy with the p20 however.

conclusion = leave it p18 like god intended. Its a damm good turbo

funkytown said:

there are the likes of AVO and HKS that do gt2871 and gt3071r turbos, then there are genuine garretts like mine, all are the goods, Simon C has a td05 18g from a Apexi or HKS or something, and he thinks its the goods.

Simon C's turbo was a GReddy one.

If u find a 34 get that as funky mentioned as it's very good mid range and punch - i have had that personally and it's good street turbo

Get the 22 if u can stand a bit more lag and bit more top end - that's ur personal choice but in sayin thT I prefer the 22 over the 34 simply as I find it does no lag as much cos of the 6 speed and ability to chop thru the short ratios

I thnk the 34 is better on the 5 speed

Get the td05 if u Wana get dyno honors/ drag time slips as it will be better than the other 2 for sure - as long as its some quality unit and not copied sh!t

I know of this other members cat that did 12.1 I think on a copy unit tho so perhaps depends which copy u buy as it seems some copies are better than others lol

And if u got the money to spend get a sr50 from avo - know a few guys in Aussie who use that with very good numbers and reason it's not thT laggy but perhaps someone on here will confirm more on them

Nope, single scoll.

I still want to see someone bung a p18 housing on a vf22, should make all the power that it normally does and cut down the "lag" which it doesnt really have anyway.

Simons 18g is the same specs as mine although mine is built here but he has AVCS and a 6 speed which will help spool, I still think that a 34, 36, 37, 22 are all better turbos just not rebuildable and cant take as much boost (they dont need to tho).

wait - so a vf30 has a p18 yes?

i have my old vf30

and have a vf22 as well

so what u guys say is that with a p18 housing off the 30, the 22 will have less lag and same top end??

really??

cos if thats the case than its something i could look at trying..

just dont wana sacrifice the potential top end

(as said before - lag is not bad on the 22 as 6 speed and avcs probably help a lot)

yes the vf30 has the p18.

pappu said:

so what u guys say is that with a p18 housing off the 30, the 22 will have less lag and same top end??

no what was said was that in relation to the vf30 there seems to be no difference in top end with relation to p18 or p20.

AND

that it would be interesting to see the results of a p18 on the vf22 so we have actual results of its behavior rather than just guessing. It may or may not have the same top end.

pappu']

wait - so a vf30 has a p18 yes?

i have my old vf30

and have a vf22 as well

really??

cos if thats the case than its something i could look at trying..

just dont wana sacrifice the potential top end

(as said before - lag is not bad on the 22 as 6 speed and avcs probably help a lot)

You cant put the 30 housing on the 22 as the 30 is plain bearing and the housings arent interchangable with the BB cartridges. I have a p18 BB housing if you wanna try it tho?

Everyone says the 22 is laggy for some reason, I found it to be really quick spooling, better than my 23 as my graphs prove. No avcs, std RSB gearing but no harm in making it better still.....more area under the curve!!!!

yes the vf30 has the p18.

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

no what was said was that in relation to the vf30 there seems to be no difference in top end with relation to p18 or p20.

AND

that it would be interesting to see the results of a p18 on the vf22 so we have actual results of its behavior rather than just guessing. It may or may not have the same top end.

It has been done in OZ and they like the results only made 2kw less with a p18 housing which could be put down to weather conditions or margin of error. The spool was reported to be 2-300rpm better.

Most tests have been done on bolt on variants of Garretts (MD321 turbos mainly) and they gained nothing but more lag from the p20 over the p18. Note the housings were machined to fit the garrett cartridges so not perfectly standard. (they now cast their own housings but basically the same shizzle)