Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Which is the real Spec C ?

B4 2000']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

Your stating things you know NOTHING about

I too questioned this but,I asked my FHI engineer friend about these 2pot calipers (refered to as fist type caliper)

Brake performance data he produced showed that the 2 pots stopped a GR wrx faster than 4 pots did ! - one off stop

And they are obviously cheaper to produce

However continual braking the 4 pots are better (but only slightly over the 2 pots)

And for whats its worth 2.0 for me any day over 2.5

Reasons witheld for opion on this , as this thread has already gone pear shaped

/quote]

does that mean there's no real need to go form the normal 2 pots (294mm) to 4 pots (294mm) as there won't be much gain?

P.S car is 2000 B4 (one heavy beast)

im asking as im considering goin to 4 pots as everyone saying they perform better -more stopping power-

On the road probably not. Braking is more about the pads and fluid IMO, and 2 pot brakes on a road car can perform the same as a 4 pot system. You only have to speak to Race Brakes in Auckland for them to tell you this. Your often not braking hard to the limit of the brakes continually on the road, so apart from looks, there really is no point.

The difference when it comes to the track. The bigger rotors and pads will dissipate the heat better, and when coupled with good high-temp fluid and pads will not fade like conventional road brakes. Hence why you see massive rotors and calipers on race cars, and lots of ducting to get the air flow for cooling.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='newsuba said:

The cars without Brembos would be JDM motorsport imports.

All GR WRX's went back to 2-pot fronts, part of the reason why they are so crap.

/quote]

I too questioned this but,I asked my FHI engineer friend about these 2pot calipers (refered to as fist type caliper)

Brake performance data he produced showed that the 2 pots stopped a GR wrx faster than 4 pots did ! - one off stop

However continual braking the 4 pots are better (but only slightly over the 2 pots)

You really do BS sometimes.

You have just cemented my argument.

:P

One-off stop performance is next to useless in real life, continual braking is what is important.

In the case of the GR WRX, not one single magazine roadtest has complimented its braking (in)abilities, in a recent MOTOR test, a WRX had toasted it's brakes after just one hot lap.

Davebro']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

/quote]

does that mean there's no real need to go form the normal 2 pots (294mm) to 4 pots (294mm) as there won't be much gain?

P.S car is 2000 B4 (one heavy beast)

im asking as im considering goin to 4 pots as everyone saying they perform better -more stopping power-

On the road probably not. Braking is more about the pads and fluid IMO, and 2 pot brakes on a road car can perform the same as a 4 pot system. You only have to speak to Race Brakes in Auckland for them to tell you this. Your often not braking hard to the limit of the brakes continually on the road, so apart from looks, there really is no point.

The difference when it comes to the track. The bigger rotors and pads will dissipate the heat better, and when coupled with good high-temp fluid and pads will not fade like conventional road brakes. Hence why you see massive rotors and calipers on race cars, and lots of ducting to get the air flow for cooling.

i'll word that better.

is it worth it goin form 2 pot 294mm > 4 pot 294mm (same rotor size) on a 1500+ kg car with bout 280+ wkw (hopefully) that will be put on track whenever there's a chance/time/money??? or instead just get better pads/fluids and save for bigger brakes/rotors?

All about budget mate.

On my old RS race car it just had the standard 2 pot's with 275mm front rotors, and I never used to get brake fade because I had good pads and fluid.

If it were me, I'd just wait until I could afford something bigger, like the STI Brembo's or something. Bigger pads and rotors.

And SOOOOOOOOO much more sexy........

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Davebro said:

All about budget mate.

On my old RS race car it just had the standard 2 pot's with 275mm front rotors, and I never used to get brake fade because I had good pads and fluid.

If it were me, I'd just wait until I could afford something bigger, like the STI Brembo's or something. Bigger pads and rotors.

And SOOOOOOOOO much more sexy........

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

haha, don't think ill go for STi brembos (don't think they clear my wheels and there's no way im changing wheels for breaks) also i missed on a fairly cheap set and don't think ill find another set with the same price.

so plans is to save for a set of wilwood which will cost bout the same as brembos but instead i know they will clear my wheels

newsuba']

All GR WRX's went back to 2-pot fronts, part of the reason why they are so crap.

/quote]

You really do BS sometimes.

You have just cemented my argument.

:P

One-off stop performance is next to useless in real life, continual braking is what is important.

In the case of the GR WRX, not one single magazine roadtest has complimented its braking (in)abilities, in a recent MOTOR test, a WRX had toasted it's brakes after just one hot lap.

Hey idiot, how many time does the average road car do an emergency stop !

The FHI test was from memory 120km/h - 0

And how many pads fitted for everyday use last more than one lap on a track !

For the magazine writers it wont be fluid nor rotors nor calipers after one lap will it !

Same compound pads in 4pots wont last much than one lap will it !

Track - street two different scenarios !

Are Subaru selling a GR Wrx as a track car --- NO.

If you want a racer then buy something with Brembos and high end pads

Let me guess everyone who is reading this WONT have OEM pads fitted as replacement will they

HOW IS IT THAT I CAN STATE A FACT, AND YOU GET ALL CRY BABY ! -

REALITY IS THAT I COULD GET AND POST THAT BRAKE SPEC SHEET AND YOU'D STILL NOT BELIEVE IT

D-Style']

/quote]

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

??

To reinforce what Dave said:

From my user perspective I used 2-pot calipers and 270mm discs on my Legacy on the track for 5 years and they worked extremely well provided I put in fresh good fluid before each day and had lots of meat on the aftermarket pads. I got overheating on all track days by the end of the day and the fluid boiled.

And now I use 4-pot calipers and 290mm discs on my Impreza on the track for another 5 years and they also work extremely well as long as I put in fresh good fluid before each day and have lots of meat on the aftermarket pads. I get overheating on all track days by the end of the day and the fluid still boils, but I'm a casual driver so don't really care so much as long as I get through the day.

Short summary: Both work really well if you care for them.

Ichi Ban said:

Hey idiot,

Well hello to you Number One Douche my friend.

;D

And how many pads fitted for everyday use last more than one lap on a track !

For the magazine writers it wont be fluid nor rotors nor calipers after one lap will it !

Same compound pads in 4pots wont last much than one lap will it !

Other cars tested at the same time were the MY11 STI auto, EVO X SST, Golf R.

None suffered from brake problems after several laps.

Plenty of cars will do more than one lap on stock pads, not super-pricey exotics either (eg. BMW 123d, 330d, Golf GTI/TDI, Renaultsport Clio, Megane, Focus RS etc.).

The point is that for a car with the WRX's performance (and the latest MY11 WRX has a lot), it's brakes are woeful.

End of story.

Now spare the exclaimation marks and fu ck off Have a good day.

:)

CLEANED !

what a waste of time reading this shit the point is not to argue but to share opinions this place is gettin fucked up more and more.... No wonder people call subaru owners wankers this thread just gives proof to it you all need to quit actin like girls and get over your big opinionated asses

newsuba said:

Plenty of cars will do more than one lap on stock pads, not super-pricey exotics either (eg. BMW 123d, 330d, Golf GTI/TDI, Renaultsport Clio, Megane, Focus RS etc.).

You might need to add Faclon XR6 to that list ;)

+1 on johnny5's comment

and a warning to the few who ruin it

IF you have no real evidence of your claims other than hearsay DONT argue the point, because u will be proved wrong

IF you have real evidence POST it up to as to shut the haters up

If i dont get time to clean this up today some one else will and it will be cleaned

TURTLE']

/quote]

You might need to add Faclon XR6 to that list ;)

That was a Hertz/Avis special ?

We'll have to do that again one day.

;D