Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

how good is a non sti version 7 motor and gearbox

LAZLO

are they any good?

ive been told there just the same as the motor in my forester lol

the reason i ask is because my brother bought me one cos he wrecked my car when i was in oz,but now ive just sold my rex so im gonna sell this motor and box but 1st i wanna know if there any good performance wise and how far behind a sti version 7 they are,and if someone knows,what earlier model wrx would this motor be similar to?

sorry if its a dumb question

LAZLO said:

are they any good?

ive been told there just the same as the motor in my forester lol

the reason i ask is because my brother bought me one cos he wrecked my car when i was in oz,but now ive just sold my rex so im gonna sell this motor and box but 1st i wanna know if there any good performance wise and how far behind a sti version 7 they are,and if someone knows,what earlier model wrx would this motor be similar to?

sorry if its a dumb question

As good as the mileage it has done, along with the maintenance/oil changes it had.

its a stock non forged motor - same as any non sti motor open deck bro

survives 17 psi but after 18 its anyones guess i wud say

have heard v7 5 speeds are pretty good compared to older wrx boxes

certainly lasts - as a mates wrx is doing round the supposed 220kw mark and many track days later the v7 wrx box still sweet...

my old wrx v7 motor was tuned at 18psi with a link ecu by gary caper

and it still blew...

hmm na bro the v7 ones are def the better items as have seen few cars do (still going) between 240-270 kw@w on stock v7 shortblock

i think u must be thinking of the v8 sti pistons ....

• Admin
 WRXONP said:

i will score gear box if its 4.44 ratio . . but pappu you know ver7 STI aren't forged either . the heads and cams will be the difference and oil pump etc

V7 STi has forged pistons, crossdrilled crank and semi-closed block.

pappu said:

and it still blew...

he will only tune what you give him. there would have been a flaw in your setup or your driving/maintainance killed it or you touched the boost after his tune

sultan']

[quote name='pappu said:

and it still blew.../quote]

he will only tune what you give him. there would have been a flaw in your setup or your driving/maintainance killed it or you touched the boost after his tune

could be...

altho car was very well maintained and run

12.5+ afr tune could have been a contributing factor tho..

ah well.. who knows

not much in there now as been replaced with v7 sti short block now

not the jdm v7 sti (00-02) shortblock - they had the proper ones (have seen at least 2 jdm ones opened up which were confirmed by the mechanic - not my own car but mates who have had HG blow that got checked)

i believe the usdm may be different

02 onwards def were eutectic

THEY ARE HYPEREUTECTIC FFS.

Eutectic and hypoeutectic are different alloys of aluminium aswell. Can we try to use the correct terms because it makes no sense otherwise ::)

hyper1.gif

When the composition of an alloy places it to the right of the eutectic point it is called hyper-eutectic. Note, though, that this is merely convention. If the phase diagram had been drawn the other way around, with 100%A on the right and 100%B on the left, then the same alloy would be called hypo-eutectic, as it would be to the left of the eutectic point.

Plus I thought it was the V8 STI's that got the Hypereutectic pistons. Hence why the V7 STI shortblocks are supposedly the more desirable ones.

boon']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

i will score gear box if its 4.44 ratio . . but pappu you know ver7 STI aren't forged either . the heads and cams will be the difference and oil pump etc

/quote]

V7 STi has forged pistons, crossdrilled crank and semi-closed block.

correct i purchased one deff forged (still wont stop a valve tho) :)

forged! well same as other earlier sti forged pistons (the shape changes but you can tell theyr the same material) also all the forged ones have letters and a number on the underside and the cast do not and you can tell they are blatently cast. V8 sti is somting else and dont look like the earlier forged ones and look more like cast ones (only seen one quickly) at PF auto who builds ALOT of subaru rally cars! Inc brand new v10s stripped down when they pop. Know Dave quite well and he confirmed to me that V7 was last of the "forged" piston engines when I was going thru his jiant box of pistons looking for a HF-2 version 4 one for a engine that had a very minor melt down. I was asking whats this to the randm ones id neva seen befor and back then was including a v7 STI one. Have since pulled down several motors that I have pulled myself out of the cars (def Genuine STI sedans) and they have all been of the forged type!

great stuff ! real life stories are hard facts basically :-) but another question . what's the difference between hf1 and hf2 etc. i have a ej20k im waiting for time to strip and am curious as to which piston it has

WRXONP said:

great stuff ! real life stories are hard facts basically :-) but another question . what's the difference between hf1 and hf2 etc. i have a ej20k im waiting for time to strip and am curious as to which piston it has

From what ive figured relates to like the year and slight differences in the pistons. Ring gap, skirt shape, can crown shape. If its genuine STI id say almost garenteed HF-2. Ps ive pushed thoes to 250+ wkw in my old hatchback STI. Good tune and are a gr8 piston!! Dont know how people manage to crack/melt them in std cars...Crap AFM's and too much boost = lots of det for fark all power is my only guess lol

Yep real life facts = no bull far as im concernd unless the cars been tamper b4 u got it but I know when a engines been out usually and 5 is to much to be random luck or result of swapped engines ect!

WRXONP said:

thanks for the info lol. when i build mine i was going to run them with forged rods . . people must run sexy lean to rape the pistons lol

Yep thats what I did in one of my early builds (scat H beam rods). The question is getting a motor with good piston to bore clearence as thats what determins the reliability of them STI sti pistons in hard pushd applications (if tune is right) according to dave. And when theyr out as you know theres NOTHING you can do lol. Ring sets are still $250 so def cheepr then aftermarket forgies but not by a hell of alot when you take that into account (probe, Qite cheep but not bad retail at bout $850 a set so not THAT much difference when pouring money into a build.) Just measure and measure and measure is my only advice :)