Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Real world mileage...

FST4RD

Right looking for some real world mileage figures, I know the "factory" mileage that Subaru quotes, but we all know these aren't always correct.

Just done a long trip to the coast and for 350km I used approx 39L of 98, so about 11.1L per 100K. I have a 95 tt wagon with absolutely no mods, small hole in the very rear of the exhaust (if that makes a difference) and i wasn't pushing it, driving conservatively.

I thought the petrol consumption was quite high... When I purchased the car over a year ago I'm sure I was getting better then 11.1L per 100k around town, so should be better on open roads?

I have been doing regular oil/filter changes, although haven't changed the sparkplugs or filter.

Car is not smoking or anything.

Could any of these things be causing the mileage to be changing?

Also would a completely factory STI/WRX SW be more fuel effecient then a TT Legacy SW? I'm assuming only having 1 turbo and being a smaller car the STI/WRX would have better mileage?

• Admin

from my experence, milage counts on alot of things. My wagon was set up for good milage and i took alot of weight out of it.

But when it comes down to it. on my trips between CHCH and Dunedin back in the day I was poor so never boosted, and keept my revs as low as possable.

If you drive at 80-90ks you will save fuel rather than driving at 110.

*sits back and waits to be flamed

How healthy is your engine? you should be able to get atleast 400-450ks per tank when not thrashing the pants off it all the time.

Engine has done 180k, but no odd sounds, no smoke, boosts healthy etc.

I don't thrash my car, I drive very conservatively.

Like I said the car is completely bog standard and that's the way I intend on keeping it...

I always run 98 octaine in it when i can as well...

There is a big difference in driving your car on the Canterbury plains to drivnig over to the West Coast. I was lucky to see 450km from a tank of gas in my old 98 TT wagon when coming through the hills. Where as as I did one trip from Christchurch to Fairlie and back and clocked up around 550km and still had a 1/6th of a tank remaining.

FST4RD said:

Doesn't matter where I drive, I still can't get over 400k's out of a tank :-[

And that's being super careful...

+1.

so apart from the usual, air in tyres and not use aircon windows up etc etc..

there must be something mechanical that we can do to use less fuel? tune?

fwiw i reckon i use more gas on 98 than 95 octane. and thats with same driving style.

lol not sure

never smoked before

asoon as the afm packs a shity it cant idel,sounds like its running on 3 cylinders,and abit of smoke out the exhaust

crc afm usually fixes it for a couple days,but mines fully packed a shitty now haha

yeh have your car running.unplug the afm and if your car still runs then your afm is faulty

if the car starts ideling funny then dies.your afm is doing its job

Open road I get like 580 km to a tank. But driving in Auckland I am lucky to get 300km to a tank. Sitting in traffic everyday. My left leg must be much stronger than the right though from holding the clutch.

Servicing car soon, how much of a difference should I expect. I'm just doing oil and oil filter, plugs and coolant.

When I first bought my car I was getting around 9L per 100K, now it's more then 11.1K, this in the space of a year.

Could it have something to do with all the silt and dust floating around Christchurch? I haven't even opened up the air filter box...

FST4RD said:

When I first bought my car I was getting around 9L per 100K, now it's more then 11.1K, this in the space of a year.

Could it have something to do with all the silt and dust floating around Christchurch? I haven't even opened up the air filter box...

quite possibly but thats a bit of a long shot.

Have you changed anything major on the car during this period?

ODB']

[quote name='FST4RD said:

/quote]

quite possibly but thats a bit of a long shot.

Have you changed anything major on the car during this period?

Absolutely nothing... Engine is still 100% original. Oh I did put a new battery and alternator in it... But I could imagine they wouldn't do anything?

Just had a look at the filter. Seems to be nice and clean, although the hose clamps on the pipe between the AFM and intake, and the intercooler and turbos weren't particualry tight. Tightened them up nice and tight, so here's hoping that might be some of the issue...

Anyone have any pointers about doing the sparkplags?

Divine said:

First full tank of gas got me 400ks. And thats driving in 5th doing 50km/h due to short ratio gearbox. (1500rpm)

Wouldn't this give you worse milage, engine struggling to pull at that rpm etc.

I always found i could get 5-600 k's if i tried to keep it between 2.5-4k from a type R.

[table]

[tr]

[td]Date Litres Kms Cost Km/l l/100km mpg

11/10/2010 51.2 540 $101.33 10.5 9.5 24.8

3/11/2010 51 510 $100.00 10.0 10.0 23.5

23/11/2010 56.41 500 $112.76 8.9 11.3 20.9

20/12/2010 54 454 $106.00 8.4 11.9 19.8

1/01/2011 54.08 493 $116.23 9.1 11.0 21.4

3/01/2011 38.19 291 $81.69 7.6 13.1 17.9

17/01/2011 53.31 530 $114.04 9.9 10.1 23.4

17/02/2011 45.75 380 $99.68 8.3 12.0 19.5

23/03/2011 52.14 480 $119.87 9.2 10.9 21.7

15/04/2011 50.85 424 $118.95 8.3 12.0 19.6

22/04/2011 20.33 174 $47.77 8.6 11.7 20.1

4/07/2011 55.4 450 $111.30 8.1 12.3 19.1

6/08/2011 53.64 394 $117.40 7.3 13.6 17.3

[/td][/tr][/table]

If you can make sense of that, these are my records for my 2001 BH GTB. The better milages were open rd driving, auckland to mt ruapehu. I generally do not care much for my consumtion so while I do not hoon around like an idiot I don't drive like a nana either.

I have been having worse results the last one or two fills as O2 sensor heater has died so appears to be running rich.

Hope this helps someone.