Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help me buy a Legacy with your experiences (BC or BG)

Hey guys, i'm seriously considering selling my Skyline to get a Legacy. I've had 7 Skylines of all types, r31-34 turbo non-turbo, and although i love them to bits i want to 'taste' a bit of Subaru.. problem is i dislike the styling of ALL wrx's and foresters which leaves me with the Legacy. I would prefer a B4 but can't afford so that's right off the list, so am looking to get a BC RS Turbo sedan or a BG TT (either in manual).

What can you tell me / warn me about these cars? I've heard nothing but terrible things about the twin-turbo engines with the VOD and pathetic reliability, so i was thinking i may get a BC RS but i've been told they're slow (about 150kw factory - same as my non-turbo Skyline?!). And, does the gen 1 Legacy wagon (GT) have the same engine as the sedan (RS)? Because i have been in a stock GT wagon 1991 and that was disgustingly slow.

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you're interested in a Subaru? Seems you have nothing good to say about them. A Legacy of that era (and most newer/unmodified ones too), will never compare to a Skyline, they were never built to. Legacy's are more aimed towards being a business and sports car.. comfortable but with a bit of go.

As for reliability, you'll find many on here that will attest to the fact that they're reliable just so long as you look after and maintain them properly. I've owned 3 so far, ranging from '95 - '05, and never had any major problems.

As for what's good, nothing like a few test drives to sort that out

haha well that's why im looking to get one of these relatively cheap subaru's just so i can see what it's like to own, i've always wanted a subaru (not as much as a skyline) but i never liked WRX's, only just had the idea the other day to get a legacy...

haha i'm sure some legacy's could give Skyline's a decent run, however i personally believe the Skyline is much more reliable and built tough. That's not to say i dislike Subaru because i do like something about them. I think at this stage i will go and test drive some BC RS Sedan's and let you guys know how i felt about it after.

I have a BG5 TT Wagon and it's completly factory apart from the muffler. It's almost at 190,000k's, still running smooth, gearbox is good, no smoke, no leaking oil.

Everyone seems to go on about the VOD, but if you get it high enough in the rev range in first or second and can change fast enough it doesn't really effect the car at all, it'll stay boosting on the primary (primary is the bigger second turbo right? i always get confused! :P).

X']

[quote name='VADZTER said:

bro, u know u not allow to park on the beach aye? hahahah!!!

looks nice and tidy bro

whoopsies :P there werent any signs or anything and there was a ramp and i just happened to have a 4wd car that wouldnt get stuck :P lol haha but point taken

If your getting a Legacy, definitely get a BC5 RS. They maybe rated at 150kw factory (R32 GTSt was only 160kw factory I might add). But with filter, exhaust and a bit more boost they go reasonably well. And they will always get off the line and out of corners quicker than a 2WD Skyline will.

However, get one in good condition and get someone who knows Subarus to check it out first - as they definitely aren't the most reliable of cars if they aren't looked after. Also don't expect to be able to launch them all day, things do break as they are an old car. But on the plus side, parts are cheap and plentiful and pretty much all WRX engine/drivetrain parts fit them.

Thanks for the advice, upon further research i am more and more keen on a BC RS,

@VADZTER i saw your RS on trademe, looks exactly like what i want but the high km's and your recent posts about coolant leaking and big end bearing noises has put me off. There is also a tidy looking RS RA on trademe at the moment but it's unregistered...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/legacy/auction-438058290.htm

rorz said:

Thanks for the advice, upon further research i am more and more keen on a BC RS,

@VADZTER i saw your RS on trademe, looks exactly like what i want but the high km's and your recent posts about coolant leaking and big end bearing noises has put me off. There is also a tidy looking RS RA on trademe at the moment but it's unregistered...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/legacy/auction-438058290.htm

coolant issues were for a mates RSB. ive had no cooling issues and the big end bearing noise one is from my old motor on my old bc. ive sold that motor to a memebr on here. this motor is running perfectly. you will notice that those were posted quite a while ago. ur welcome to come and see it :D

and that RS RA is deregd?

For those interested i ended up getting a BC5. it's stock except it has an external wastegate which i plan on removing and a boost tap running 10psi. Everything else stock. It's quite slow but its an ok car. Still feels better than those horrid TT's (no offence to TT owners)

Got myself an RSK B4, I love sleepers, fun to drive, can give me a blast when I need, just perfect combo for me, economical too when running low/under boost. I have 2.5" Straight through, HID's and HID fog as well good for night life cruise and SSQV BOV, perfect for weekend cruise too. I suggest you get it and you'd love it :).

• 2 weeks later...

me and my mates bg5 both run 14 psi on factory boost(6500rpm) and 18 with a cheap boost controller isolating the factory solenoid. BC and BG both run mint tho BG's are way better if you wanted a weekend car to go on a road trip with. There not fast to begin with but after a few mods they hold there own.