Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Blow Off Valve & Exhaust

BINKZ

Looking at getting one for my V7...

Just wanted to hear your thoughts and what not about them?

My understanding is it's best to get a plumb back adjustable variety like the following:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1839

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1793

Aside from drivenperformance which is obvious, what other clubsub sponsors have good BOVs?

Also - what are peoples thoughts on turbo back vs cat back exhausts?

Thanks a bunch guys

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro of a venting BOV: Noise

Thats it. Cons are minor and sometimes not even noticable - average idle (sometimes), backfires on gearshift (ok, that's a pro), looking like a boyracer scumbag (pro or con depending on your personality)

Up to you if you want to spend a couple hundy for some woosh noises - novelty wears off pretty quick. Same as a vented wastegate I guess, each to their own.

As for the exhaust - I don't know the legalities these days but the cat is one of the biggest restrictions in the system, even just removing that and leaving the rest stock will net you gains you can feel (f&!k the environment)

BINKZ said:

My understanding is it's best to get a plumb back adjustable variety like the following:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1839

Aside from drivenperformance which is obvious, what other clubsub sponsors have good BOVs?

Thanks a bunch guys

pro wholsale to GFB bovs... get a 50/50 plumb back... then you can have the best of both worlds... also go TBE! also when you rip your cat out - dont let the exhaust people keep it. you can sell it scrap metal for a bit. Unsure on how much... but still

• Admin

Open up your intake (particularly remove the snorkel/silencer) and the factory plumback makes plenty of noise... from a slight whoosh when you lift off under light throttle to a raspy rushing sound when you're giving it plenty of the right jandal.

ADIKT']

[quote name='BINKZ said:

url]http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1839[/url]

Thanks a bunch guys

pro wholsale to GFB bovs... get a 50/50 plumb back... then you can have the best of both worlds... also go TBE! also when you rip your cat out - dont let the exhaust people keep it. you can sell it scrap metal for a bit. Unsure on how much... but still

TBE = turbo back exhaust?

boon said:

Open up your intake (particularly remove the snorkel/silencer) and the factory plumback makes plenty of noise... from a slight whoosh when you lift off under light throttle to a raspy rushing sound when you're giving it plenty of the right jandal.

air intake? im entirely new to Subarus

Sequence said:

Dude... best bang for your buck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/other/auction-440078369.htm

Dont let the cheaper price put you off! Very nice exhaust system!

HKS SSQV, In my opinion the best (if you like vented or not)

just found out not allowed turbo back exhaust as cat must remain in place for mechanical warranty.

also turns out the car has a 3' cat back pipe that includes 2 resonators most of the way along, which has been cut off and a 2.5' exhaust welded onto it

obviously to get it into the country.

so might just get someone to cut off the 2.5' portion, weld back on a 3' and get a better muffler lol.

BINKZ']

[quote name='Sequence said:

Dude... best bang for your buck

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/other/auction-440078369.htm[/url]

Dont let the cheaper price put you off! Very nice exhaust system!

HKS SSQV, In my opinion the best (if you like vented or not)

just found out not allowed turbo back exhaust as cat must remain in place for mechanical warranty.

also turns out the car has a 3' cat back pipe that includes 2 resonators most of the way along, which has been cut off and a 2.5' exhaust welded onto it

obviously to get it into the country.

so might just get someone to cut off the 2.5' portion, weld back on a 3' and get a better muffler lol.

You could always buy that setup and sell the down pipe, Would be a good option.

boon said:

I'm thinking of doing this, does the intake get affected by any water/rain getting splashed inside the guard?

G-unit said:

ive gone back to stock airbox and bov, bov is loud enough with the snorkel trick done and intake sounds nice, not near as loud as a pod and atmo tho, put a pod on you will love the sound, but no benefits in doing so

yeah im just gonna go stock airbox with a k&n panel in it and a GFB BOV.

just gonna get a cat back exhaust as well.

Factory replacement paper filter

They work

In fact Work well

And cheap

Remove the snorkel from guard or possibly make a cold air duct for better gains

If u need to keep cat in exhaust u can still get aftermarket pipes with hi flow cat

99.9% of BOV's on the market are crap which is great keeps me in business repairing the turbos, it may pay to check the up and coming LTSA laws as such aftermarket valves are going to be band as per aussie and to be honest even thought i commercially made them over 20 years ago they now sound a tad gay and theres a lot better ways to prevent surge without a bov.

vorigan said:

99.9% of BOV's on the market are crap which is great keeps me in business repairing the turbos, it may pay to check the up and coming LTSA laws as such aftermarket valves are going to be band as per aussie and to be honest even thought i commercially made them over 20 years ago they now sound a tad gay and theres a lot better ways to prevent surge without a bov.

Haha.... ::)

Sequence']

[quote name='vorigan said:

/quote]

and you would know better? try using a calculator when buying an aftermarket bov and explain why on a stock setup no issues yet surges backfires etc etc after a so called "better one" is installed.

not hard to see why.

example: a 30mm aftermarket valve has a area of 706.95mm has 6 10mm outlet holes equaling 471.3mm now whats wrong with that picture?

they also fail to fully open when under full vacuum due to non linear springs being used as per factory, a stock 25mm valve has an area of 490.93mm getting the idea?

and how often to we see threads about car stalls all the time wont idle when cold backfire etc so instead of being a smart ass rolling your eyes open them you may learn something and read the ltsa site you may just find NZ is slowly adapting aussie laws the ltsa also says unless the car came factory with a vent to atmosphere valve you cant do it and it cant be over a set db level it must be vent back in as per the catch tank law due to emissions.....and they do sound gay and annoying it was a pleasure to holiday in aussie not that long ago to not hear a single bov anywhere yet tons of turbo cars.

vorigan']

[quote name='vorigan said:

/quote]

and you would know better? try using a calculator when buying an aftermarket bov and explain why on a stock setup no issues yet surges backfires etc etc after a so called "better one" is installed.

not hard to see why.

example: a 30mm aftermarket valve has a area of 706.95mm has 6 10mm outlet holes equaling 471.3mm now whats wrong with that picture?

they also fail to fully open when under full vacuum due to non linear springs being used as per factory, a stock 25mm valve has an area of 490.93mm getting the idea?

and how often to we see threads about car stalls all the time wont idle when cold backfire etc so instead of being a smart ass rolling your eyes open them you may learn something and read the ltsa site you may just find NZ is slowly adapting aussie laws the ltsa also says unless the car came factory with a vent to atmosphere valve you cant do it and it cant be over a set db level it must be vent back in as per the catch tank law due to emissions.....and they do sound gay and annoying it was a pleasure to holiday in aussie not that long ago to not hear a single bov anywhere yet tons of turbo cars.

that change has been in the pipe since 2008 and nothing has yet happened

vorigan said:

ive already had customers fail their wof based on it.....its coming and soon

well that's technically not legal as the legislation is not in effect yet.

i'd be going elsewhere is someone tried to fail me on non-enacted legislation.

well that's technically not legal as the legislation is not in effect yet.

i'd be going elsewhere is someone tried to fail me on non-enacted legislation.

wether you like it or not you dont have say once you fill out the wof form and its in the system you cant go else where for another based on what failed, they are the law regardless what you or anyone else thinks or if its legislation or not.