Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrx Sti V6 2000 Blown engine

Hey guys

I have a wrx sti v6 year 2000 thats blown up

Still runs but have a loud deep clicking sound

Just wondering if you guys think its worth putting a rebuilt motor in ?

Or sell as it is? What would it be worth?

Crowe sport here in christchurch quoted 5k all up to rebuild it but not looking to pay that much

532879_3201322748858_1139740188_32200402

535689_3201322308847_1139740188_32200401

427775_3201320708807_1139740188_32200400

hate-evoz said:

Buy second hand long block off trademe. Put it in yourself or ask someone on here from CHCH do a cashie and it will be fixed in no time and cheaper then rebuilding

The downside is you have no real idea if the second hand block is in good condition. However, Jap Spears on Trademe have low K longblocks for alright prices.

I do suggest giving Stu @ Stubaru and Tony @ RDL for their opinion's and quotes for rebuilds.

Have to ask yourself, are you willing to gamble a few K for a second hand long block, which may blow up a week later, or suck it up, spend the money on a rebuild where the engine will be rock solid.

you can get a new SHORT BLOCK EJ207 (same as the one on your car and same as V7 too) from subaru for $2300, add couple hundreds for head gasket, thats $2500

all you need then is someone to get old engine out and swap heads over and put engine in car :)

Jonovarty12 said:

oh yeah.

Dum question #2

do other version engines fit other version cars?

Not quite that simple.

Your inlet manifold will only bolt to V5-onwards heads. You can only use the inlet manifolds from V5/6 WRX or STi. You have to retain your current wiring loom.

V7-onwards STi engines are VVT, you cannot use this function without a computer upgrade (a major).

Yhe shortblocks on the other hand are almost universally interchangeable.

Ive got a V7 sti shortblock in my v6...goes good ;D

Also those PBMS blocks have an sti option both short and long...makes the second hand uneconomical to buy. New gaskets as stated, new AFM...bolt all your stuff back on ...go hard.

If you want a cost I can send you a print out of the receipt for mine. Then youll know whats involved too.

In the long run, its cheaper (although its bugger all more than second hand engine - see the last thread about a motor from Partsworld!) You ll have peace of mind and a brand new engine.

And im sure that green wrx is ex-invercargill

I got a reconditioned short block for $1800 off trademe. But to get it all put in, and everything else replaced at s subbie shop was another $4K+.

bugger of a decision to make, part out, sell as 'non runner' (urs still goes), or rebuild.

I figure i'm just going to have to keep it for a long time now, I just tell myself its effectively a 'new engine', and therefore 'new car'. (despite the myriad of other niggly mech and elec issues)

evowrx said:

id get a few opinions before i pulled an engine and spent 4k...but thats just me :D

+1000000

I've stripped down 3 engines that the owners thought had run bearings, bought them real cheap or free. nek minnit im selling mint cranks for $250 each