Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car Knowledge & Background

my names muhammad and im an engineering student and most of my knowledge is from here and taking things apart :D the best way to learn i may add ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh pick me

I'm 28, started working in the Army, trained there as an electronics/instrument technician for 5 years - worked in retail, a courier, some mechanic work, more retail, and currently working for a large telco while on the waiting list to get some better work stories. I missed being in uniform I guess.

Have owned at last count 31 cars, mostly turbo mitsis but there's been 4 subys in there, all legacies, car knowledge stops at the real technical stuff - like to think I know what I know and aware of what I don't, too poor to pay mechanics so had to learn how to do my own bits & pieces.

To be honest have found this forum to be one of the best I've been a part of / stalker on, any dropkick advice gets weeded out pretty quickly (or subtly abused until people get the point), has def helped convince me these scoobydoo things aren't the unreliable timebombs I always thought them to be, just a little bit erm... misunderstood haha

Outside of work - I run, lots, drag racing priveliges were removed when we bought a legacy :'(

Im 29 and work for the govt doing some phone stuff. Have previously spent some in the army in the RF and TF as a rifleman.

I started out in cars as a boyracer in Palmy and then did the same in Wellington until getting introduced to rallying in 2004 or so. I eventually sold the boyracers cars and built a BC5 rally car with a good friend. We proceeded to spend a couple of years (and 10 engines) learning the hard way what works and what doesn't! After writing that off in Targa last year I have started building a BNR32 track car with my brother while also dabbling in some gravel events in my mates WRX which we have just caged.

My mechanical knowledge is limited and all self taught/picked up from more knowledgable mates. I don't like working on cars as it means the f*cker is broken again! But I do love racing cars and am perhaps over competitive when it comes to racing cars - I have broken a fair few things and had a few accidents due to getting too competitive!

I have been involved in motorsport for a wee while now and regularly work as a scrutineer and CRO on rallies (when not racing in them myself), so I guess I have a pretty good knowledge of motorsport rules as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, its good to see I aint the only rally pig round here ....

Oh oh oh, can I have a turn now?

Im 35 still acting like a teenager althou the body sometimes doesnt quite act like a teenager!

Left school and did auto trade course, I did it with a bunch of my mates from high school so hence I didnt finish evrything i needed to get done! Left town and spend 18 months cruising round down south then came home to finish autotrade quals. Found all my mates had got into fishing and making money so i did that! Fishing gave me money and time off to play with, which led me into auquaculture and diving. Got made redundant when the company i worked for got bought out and now i'm back to sea fishing.

Always been keen on playin round with vehicles and engines. Had an xD Falcon project vehicle that the missus made me get rid of when the kids were born! Now we own our house and it has a REAL 2 car garage so building a GC8 rally car. And I am in the sh*t with HER for getting it! On our 4th Subie.

Been into rally for a few years, started out as a block marshall then running a b/m crew, then into rally organising commitee for an NZRC event. Been to other events helping out with timing gear and also wherever help required.

I will help out anyone who needs it, Im no expert and I admit it. You never stop learning till the day you die.

22, just qualified as a civil engineer after 4 years working & studying

teenage summers working for my uncle stripping cars and changing tyres (not dodgy ;D, hes a mechanic/towie/wrecker)

onto my 7th car, 4 of being subarus - 3 single turbo legacys with links. Done everything myself bar tuning & rebuilding.

Learnt from dyi, helping mates & reading interwebs

21 worked in car/truck/tractor/anything parts for 6 years so see what breaks and normally hear why. Always done my own work dont see the sense in paying anyone to do anything i can do in twice the time. Done various clutches/gearboxes for mates, engine swap a few times in mitzis and easy bolt on mods. Ive had 2 subarus, forester and current wrx and a few other cars. Everytime i do something i research it thoroughly to make sure i get it right first time. I like to understand everything not just get told no.

If i say something and its not from experience or someone who knows, ill say its opinion. If im wrong correct me its how people learn. Ive learned most of the subaru stuff i know from people on this site who have had experience.

...and I hate people who cant use the search function/google...if i can find it in 5 seconds so can you.

Sup guys. Thought I'd put my 10cents worth in

Names Paul, I'm a third of a century old now, Iv'e had a fair few jobs since school but have spent most of my career being a sheetmetal worker.

Being in my trade I've always had mates that have kept me busy working on cars, from evos to a severely modded starlet drag car. Ive also helped out build speedway bikes and built a couple of karts up ( one with my yzf250 engine and current kart has a wankel 250cc rotary) Its only been in the last few years that I have been able to find time to work on my own projects, but only just haha.

I've only owned the 2 subies I have now, My type R I've had for nearly 6 years and the 22b bout 1.5yrs now, but have been around subies since high school days with various mates owning them.

I don't know everything but I have learnt ALOT by having to do it.

Names johnny I'm 31 and am a qualified chef but are currently working in NZ's largest quarry operating heavy machinery 120t diggers and such.

Have driven and owned countless cars in my time from soarers to cefiros to MR2's to wrx's what I know is from learning and asking on the net love my subis the most though thus why I hang around here

Hey Guys.

I'm Dave and I'm a Personal Trainer for fitfitfit studio in Grey Lynn Auckland which won exercise studio of the year last year at the NZ fitness awards.

I've owned 3 cars in my 26 yrs so far most recently whats on my Sig and hoping to turn it into a race car only as its the most fun I have ever had racing around the track.

Don't know much about cars from a technical standpoint but love reading the forums and learning bits here and there from those in the know

Ok, finally remembered to do this,

Well im Grahame, 20. I work for My family company Supreme Painting & Powder Co (34B Dragon Street, Grenada North, Wellington). We have been around for 34 years (Grandfather started it, still works at 78, Then theres my uncle my mum and my brother).

Last time i checked i was the youngest Powder Coater in Nz, Been doing it for 4 years now. But between my Popa, uncle mum, brother and me we have over 100 years experience haha.

We mainly do mass production work, have two overhead conveyor belt lines a 3 Stage iron phosphate pretreatment wash (only ones in the lower north island with one), 3 massive ovens (1 to dry all the work, 2 to cure the powder) and a box oven for smaller jobs (wheels etc) We are QNet certified and registered with Dulux Nz, can do warranties/guarantees on certain kinds of work. We also have a 4 stage Pretreatment area for longer aluminium (up to 6.5m long, things like curtain tracks, window frames, flag poles etc) We can do basically anything..as long as it fits through the oven..

As an example of things, We powder coat all of the Petrol pumps for Shell/Z/Caltex/BP/G.A.S/Gull/Mobil/Challenge etc..Street furniture that you see round Wellington and probably the rest of nz..All the frames and shelving units for Bunnings Warehouse as well as all the street street signs..We were even doing the gun boxes for the police the other week...

I dont know everything about my job yet, but what ever i dont know i can ask my family. Im still learning about what can and cant be done E.g forged wheels..(been doing a bit of research lately)

As for all the things i do for you guys, I call it GMCC (Gm Custom Coating) lol. I do it all in my spare time, i dont have time for it during the week. So usually just do it all over the weekends (good thing i enjoy doing it :P haha)

Im a bit of a paranoid perfectionist, so i wont give things back until there up to my standard.

As for Subaru's, well ive learnt everything i know from people in the club/on the forum. When i got my car i didnt even know about type r's or ra's. i just thought there was sti and non sti and that was it! lol. Now i do all my oil changes my self (probably every 2 months :P hahaha) even managed to do the spark plugs the other week!

Thanks to all you knowledgeable people out there! No doubt i would've blown her up again with out your help! haha :)

*Spelling, lolz

i brad and im only 22

have done my time as a diesel apprentice -done full time engine building -studied advanced engine management - panel beating and the likes at polytec

have now changed to being a full time welder + work the lathe and also install the gym equipment we make at work and also carry out inspections

have owned various cars - most of my experience is with early wrxs (gc8 and gf8) and RWD nissans which is what i love

i dont know shit about twin turbo subys so dont ask me about them LOL

Ah well, here goes.

I'm Harley and I'm 17- still at school, aiming for a career in the forces as a pilot, but a hobbyist computer tinkerer.

I've learned most of everything I know from my dad(who learnt the hard way-mostly), when fixing our subies/converting (hi-lo box from wagon into sedan)them. I'm still learning heaps even from these forums :o and currently curve learning through my ST conversion.

Worked part time as a kitchen hand up until this winter when work closed down.