Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

IAT Sensor location

boon

• Admin

I'm about to chuck a Link G4 in my car and I'm going to add an IAT sensor...

Link says to install it as close to the throttle body as possible, but that on the manifold itself is not ideal due to heat soak.

I'm running a TMIC so I can't really just put a hole in the intake piping. Where do you guys reckon I should chuck the IAT sensor?

I'll be tapping into the AFM's IAT wiring if that makes any difference.

ive seen them tapped into the intake pipe on trademe/net pre turbo is that way off or something different?

link sell bosses for them you weld in with the thread in them. i bought the sensor from elsewhere and just get engineer to make something up. the sensors are gm just like the map sensors.

in both my cars, its been tapped into the factory intercoolers near the TB outlet

you can just see the brass thing left of the TB (drivers side)

IMG_1304.jpg

One was done by dtech, other was previous owner

evowrx said:

so whats the sensor people have pre turbo in the intake pipe.

Air flow meter? However the afm on later (all?) models does have an IAT sensor attached to it.

The guy who developed the carberry rom (the one mattapo is using, afaik?) uses an IAT sensor in that stock location and had no problems tuning (although technically it's not ideal)

the whole point of the IAT is to correct post turbo + i/c intake temps,

turbo heats it and and IC reduces temp - like stoffa said put it in the right position or dont bother.

Boon - you could tap your i/c near the throttle body and plug it if you ever sold it? IF you think about it its a performance upgrade i/c anyway so people that might use it after you might also want it, you could market it as already ready to accept IAT sensor?

• Admin

Latest revised plan is to get a very short length of intercooler piping and put it inside the joiner between the throttle body and the intercooler, then tap that (maybe weld on a small nut if required) and pop the IAT in there...

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

Drilled and tapped the underside of the BOV mount bit... being PW it was like 5mm alloy so no problems... except we did it in exactly the wrong spot so that the sensor hit a little lug on the manifold which we then had to take to with an air-saw.

Could get some pics for you early this week.