Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V8 Wrx Sti

Ben

Not that i mind people knocking my headlights, i couldn't realy give a toss...but...

If anyone on here is seriously considering/advising buying a performance car based on the shape of the headlights, then i think they may need to rethink their car choice... ???

V7 is the lightest of the GDB shape, V8 V9 and V10 just get fatter by the model.

I'm with Simon C, if ya can find a Spec C, get one...

Anyone who tells you their stock (or mildly modded) V8 V9 or V10 STI is better simply hasn't been for a ride in one... ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest STiEVO

GDA V7?

oh yeah imy first subby was a my01 wrx (bugeye) it was a great car but towards the end i couldnt stop comparing the front to a late 1990s toyota corolla. sorry

The way I got around the bugeye issues was:

Get a picture of an S202.

Make it your desktop for the next few weeks.

Realise that it's not ugly, it's just character.

The S202 is regarded as one of the best driver's cars in existence, both for driving dynamics and the flat four boxer aural experience. It's not hard or expensive to get a V7 Spec C up to and beyond S202 spec.

If you're ever in Wellington, PM me. V7 is a grossly underestimated car purely because people don't like the headlight shape. It's like the model agencies who used to try to tell Cindy Crawford that she needed plastic surgery to get that mole removed....

just alittle off topic but i was wondering what the weight figures of the sti spec c were, also the if anyone knew the v8,9,10 to , reason im asking is i got a sti v3 in my bd legacy sedan and weighed it for the second time and as twin turbo it was 1380kg now as sti its 1276kg and i havent done any weight reduction yet though its on the cards,itll be a long road to get the legacy to handle like spec c but can it be done

if you ask me it depends on what your main use for the car is

but if its main use is a daily driver then i see no need to have a spec c version of any as i understand it has less weight to give you more performance

and i would rather have carped boot, electric windows, more sound deadening etc for every day use plus i wouldnt miss or notice the extra performance on the road but i would miss the electrics etc!

as for everybodys comment on the ver7's looks, to me its a personal taste thing some will like it and some wont so stop trying to defend it

agreed with djr03 :) it depends on what you are going to use your car for i.e daily driving or track days... it is best you test drive all of them to get a feel of which one you like...

it is definitely a huge difference coming from a forester (n/a), you might find sti had a harsher ride due to the harder suspension but better handling

reliability wise imo... if keeping it stock shouldnt give you any problems unless you neglected the services just like any other car but since it is an sti (no maintenence is definitely going to break down a lot more earlier and easier compare with the average corolla which seems to go forever with neglected maintenence)

the standard sti is better equipped (air con, power windows, carpet in the boot, better sound deadnening, HID, speakers at the rear etc..)

the spec c is more lightweight and less equipped (stiffer suspension, spec c turbi,thinner glass, no carpet in the boot, no speakers in the rear(i think) only the front, aluminium boot, power windows, air con and HID headlights not standard, brembo is an option too). SPEC C is basically scarifies comfort for performance unless you wont mind the harsher ride and less option.

v8 or v9 really depends on you, does have a few differences but they are mostly technical difference, average person wont know any differences apart from the wheels, interior(centre console and steering wheel) and wheels arches when you put v8 and v9 side to side.

had driven my brother v4 sti and just recently got my v9 sti.. would really have to say they are really good cars (more towards performance than comfort)

Solja said:

just alittle off topic but i was wondering what the weight figures of the sti spec c were, also the if anyone knew the v8,9,10 to , reason im asking is i got a sti v3 in my bd legacy sedan and weighed it for the second time and as twin turbo it was 1380kg now as sti its 1276kg and i havent done any weight reduction yet though its on the cards,itll be a long road to get the legacy to handle like spec c but can it be done

Stock STi kerb weights, from Subaru NZ;

v7 1430kg sedan & hatch

v8 1440kg

v9 1440kg

v10 1495kg

v11 1505kg

Spec C's were 90-120kg lighter depending on model.

Spec C's were approx 120kg lighter, RA Spec C's were 180-200kg lighter... :P

I love the way non Spec C owners are so good at telling me what a spec c is like to drive eveyday and how they wouldn't want one because of the lack of this and that ;D

I guess most of you arn't old enough to remember when 99% of cars came with wind up windows and no carpet in the trunk... :P

I've driven a few GDA/GDB STI's and i am very glad the Spec C is soooo much more car, i couldn't live with the STI's bulk, bad handling and lack of acceleration...even with electric windows :D

DPI said:

I love the way non Spec C owners are so good at telling me what a spec c is like to drive eveyday and how they wouldn't want one because of the lack of this and that ;D

I guess most of you arn't old enough to remember when 99% of cars came with wind up windows and no carpet in the trunk... :P

I've driven a few GDA/GDB STI's and i am very glad the Spec C is soooo much more car, i couldn't live with the STI's bulk, bad handling and lack of acceleration...even with electric windows :D

well i rather move with the times and have electrics and carpet in the boot

so what your saying is that a ver7 and ver8 have bad handling and lack acceleration! interesting :-\

so how often do you race it? which to me is the only time all this is really noticed as im sure most would agree the sti has enough performance for the road

i also think they made spec c's for people to use or turn into race cars and the sti's for a every day car hence the electric windows and carpet lined boot (mod cons as you would call it) etc

but everyone has there own taste!

Guest STiEVO

in order to prevent this thread becoming a shit fight change the title to V8/V9/V7 to appease the masses.

hmmm ??? now lets wait till the gc8 crew put their suggestions in to why they are better again.

Guest STiEVO
 newsuba said:

Stock STi kerb weights, from Subaru NZ;

v7 1430kg sedan & hatch

v8 1440kg

v9 1440kg

v10 1495kg

v11 1505kg

Spec C's were 90-120kg lighter depending on model.

no car drives it self so instantlt add atleast 50 odd kilos to any figure , so at the end of the day

does this mean much as fat people drive performance cars aswell.and only having a drivers seat would also help. but if you have friends add 250 plus kilos also

I quite happily live with my Spec C as a daily driver. It's not particularly noisy to be inside. It was not particularly harsh on its stock suspension. I found a set of boot carpet for seventy bucks. The wank factor of having a Spec C sounds, well, wanky, but as a Spec C owner it does give me a good feeling knowing I drive something a bit special.

I was worried that the Spec C was going to be too harsh until I took a couple for a drive (I've driven both V7 and V8 Spec C). The only thing that takes getting used to is actually the quick rack steering. But once you're used to it, you won't go back.

I agree, it's all a matter of personal taste. You HAVE to drive them back to back before you make any decision. Don't make any decisions based on what people here tell you unless they own one and drive it daily. Yes, DPI and I both own V7 RA Spec Cs so of course you can expect us to be biased, downplaying the bugeye look and extolling the driving virtues of Spec C. But we can both say with complete authority that they're perfectly fine cars to drive everyday, that you barely miss the stuff Subaru have stripped out, and you're missing out on a wonderful experience if you discount them without test driving them just because other people who don't own one say you shouldn't bother.

TURTLE']

Newsuba, have you forgoten dpi's spec c is more c spec than others lol. Bugeye has really grown on my lately far more so than the 8 and 9 which i liked from the begining.

Thanks for the reminder.

;)

[quote name='STiEVO said:

no car drives it self so instantlt add atleast 50 odd kilos to any figure , so at the end of the day

does this mean much as fat people drive performance cars aswell.and only having a drivers seat would also help. but if you have friends add 250 plus kilos also

b]Kerb weight[/b] removes that variable

:P

Guest STiEVO
 Simon C said:

I quite happily live with my Spec C as a daily driver. It's not particularly noisy to be inside. It was not particularly harsh on its stock suspension. I found a set of boot carpet for seventy bucks. The wank factor of having a Spec C sounds, well, wanky, but as a Spec C owner it does give me a good feeling knowing I drive something a bit special.

I was worried that the Spec C was going to be too harsh until I took a couple for a drive (I've driven both V7 and V8 Spec C). The only thing that takes getting used to is actually the quick rack steering. But once you're used to it, you won't go back.

I agree, it's all a matter of personal taste. You HAVE to drive them back to back before you make any decision. Don't make any decisions based on what people here tell you unless they own one and drive it daily. Yes, DPI and I both own V7 RA Spec Cs so of course you can expect us to be biased, downplaying the bugeye look and extolling the driving virtues of Spec C. But we can both say with complete authority that they're perfectly fine cars to drive everyday, that you barely miss the stuff Subaru have stripped out, and you're missing out on a wonderful experience if you discount them without test driving them just because other people who don't own one say you shouldn't bother.

DITTO for a non spec C sti v8 onwards

newsuba said:

According to Brian Long (author of Subaru Impreza) the MY02 Type RA Spec C was 90kg (~200lb) lighter.

;)

Than an RA...

"The WRX Type RA STi was dropped for a new WRX STi Spec C. This model was much lighter than the WRX Type RA as it received lighter glass and body panels."

Even given a weight by subaru of 1440kg for an STI, then the 1290kg RA Spec c is a minimum of 150kg lighter...

djr03']

[quote name='DPI said:

/quote]

well i rather move with the times and have electrics and carpet in the boot

so what your saying is that a ver7 and ver8 have bad handling and lack acceleration! interesting :-\

so how often do you race it? which to me is the only time all this is really noticed as im sure most would agree the sti has enough performance for the road

i also think they made spec c's for people to use or turn into race cars and the sti's for a every day car hence the electric windows and carpet lined boot (mod cons as you would call it) etc

but everyone has there own taste!

I also love, how people who dont own a spec c are so good at telling me i should race mine as it's not really for the road...

As to the weight, lack of acceleration and handling in a STI, yeah, compaired to a spec c they are like driving a low spec wrx compared to an sti.

You see, everyone can have their own opinion, and i am even happy to hear them, but...

Unless you have owned one, and driven it daily for at least 6 months, your opinion will be lacking in any meaningfull factual basis...

pappu said:

v7 - purely coz of the sound ;D

although the v9 would be the one to go for if u ok with getting the silly non-suby sound

(hahah im biased as personally the sound is way more important or i would have gotten a evo7...)

Agreed! V7's all the way ;D ;D ;D

Ive got one and theyre awesome.

newsuba said:

NZ new (good) 2.5L (bad).

I'd also be wary of any seller who can't even list his car properly.

2457cc, Automatic ?

Just scrolled to bottom, it's at Wingers.

:P

Sometimes bad dealer may selling good car you never know. :P