• Raised $0.00

Rebuild Options... - Opinions

scooby-wrx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funkytown said:

first thing i did when i lunched mine was a 4 month hold on rego. i learnt from last time... ;)

wish i did it in november but stupidly thought it would be fixed but plans change and now i have to pay the government for a car i haven't used in 10 months. no way around it either. Live and learn, next time i am taking straight off the road.

• 1 month later...
 scooby-wrx']

[quote name='hijacka said:

Tell your mechanic to pull his finger out!!..*print this off and give to him*

/quote]

:D ;D Its madness hey! My cars been there for just under 3 months now (just for an engine swap...)!

thats pretty slow for just a straight engine swap, my builder would easily get that done in a few days, if its just a swap. if its a full rebuild then 3 months aint so bad.

ballsrburning']

[quote name='hijacka said:

Tell your mechanic to pull his finger out!!..*print this off and give to him*

/quote]

:D ;D Its madness hey! My cars been there for just under 3 months now (just for an engine swap...)!

thats pretty slow for just a straight engine swap, my builder would easily get that done in a few days, if its just a swap. if its a full rebuild then 3 months aint so bad.

Slow is a understatement ::)

Bet ya he is just milking it again! Hey heres a example: I bought a pos $500 bf5 gt wag that need another engine. Last labour weekend i whipped out the old engine and stripped it back, had a ej20H sitting there complete with subframe turbos mani etc Stripped that back and replace rear and front seal cambelt etc etc all the things required for a twin turbo ej to run properly in a single turbo, put it back in the car and started it now its my daily. took me 12 hours and thats outside with engine crane only, no hoist. now i have a good running wof and reg car for $650. You should find another mechanic that will get the job done

Mates rates... I wish :D I think it has a bit to do with the fact that I\'ve had a courtesy car the whole time. Was about to pick the car up and tow it to another garage, but when I got there the engine was finally out.

I\'ve had my eye on the VF\'s on trademe, but not too keen on one that\'s been removed from a rally car. Hopefully something comes up soon. I didn\'t get a chance to check on the progress last week, so will stop in today to see how things are going. I\'m not looking forward to the wiring...

• 2 months later...

Hasn\'t been much progress on the engine / loom swap... The new engine is in the car, but still waiting on 3rd synchro for the gearbox and the loom to be fitted...! >:( I really think we need to agree on a completion date and if its not done I need to go around with a trailer and take the car to another garage! Car\'s officially been of the road for a year now...

I\'ve been fitting a few additional parts while my car\'s been off the road and was wandering if anyone\'s fitted aftermarket control arms? I have (x2) sets and am contemplating on which set to fit...

STI control arms (with nolethane bushes) - not adjustable.

IMG_1251.jpg

Or a set of heavy duty looking arms (not sure on brand) but they\'re adjustable. Chances are once an alignment\'s done I won\'t play around with these perhaps until a track day so don\'t see much point in fitting them... ???

KTA108.jpg

the grey arms look like whiteline to me but could be knock offs, I would fit them at least then you have the choice of adjustment if needed.

i use the adjustable control arms from redline, seen graph somewhere comparing them all and the sti are better than standard but not as good as the adjustable heavier duty arms.

ballsrburning said:

the grey arms look like whiteline to me but could be knock offs, I would fit them at least then you have the choice of adjustment if needed.

i use the adjustable control arms from redline, seen graph somewhere comparing them all and the sti are better than standard but not as good as the adjustable heavier duty arms.

Very true, thanks. Got the adjustable arms for $140 so couldn\'t resist!

• 3 weeks later...

;D There\'s one on trademe at the moment for 50k but its been modified... One day ;)

Finally made some progress on the engine swap. Its funny how the work has been done in a week after me telling the mechanic I\'m giving him 2 weeks and if its not done I\'m towing the car elsewhere! ::)

Had a few snychro\'s and a broken hub replaced (in the gearbox) and fitted engine components. There\'s still a bit of tidying up to do and a few more parts to fit, but the car is on its way to an auto electrician to swap the wiring loom over (D-Tec - as they\'ve done this conversion before).

8490508954_fa8c9fb569_b.jpg

8490507424_fe72dc55cd_b.jpg

8490505702_d775bb7a9d_b.jpg

My mechanic traded his very nice extremely quick V8 STI in for a new sedan - the V8 was the quickest STI I\'ve ever been in and I definitely preferred it to the new sedan!

8490557814_9e492d6e2f_b.jpg

8490558420_b0a4b88252_b.jpg

8489410343_86633655b4_b.jpg

8489410029_346fdf5b53_b.jpg