Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rebuild Options... - Opinions

scooby-wrx

I agree, would much rather a JDM 2.0 I went for a drive it it the other day and I was honestly blown away with how well it handled! Very impressive!

I collected my car from Dtech today and drove it for the first time! Thanks to all involved in the loom swap, its a very tidy job! I didn\'t thrash it as it still has a few loose ends that need to be tidied up, but it ran well (thank goodness)! Just need to get a few additional parts fitted, an ECU flash and the gearbox still has a niggle (jumping out of fourth) then will be back on the road. Hopefully early next week.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car\'s been back at my mechanic\'s (H&N Automotive) and has been sitting around for a week gathering more dust... I\'m starting to get very annoyed and am seriously considering collecting the car and taking it elsewhere...! >:(

The only reason its still there is to sort the gearbox out as its still jumping out of 4th! Its been in and out of the car over 10 times now! This mechanic rebuilt it a couple of years ago and its never been right and I feel he needs to correct his stuff-up! The gearbox is worth over 3k after all of this...!

I\'ve just spoken to my mechanic (again...) and he hasn\'t touched the car! He\'s now said he bought a second hand RA gearbox for my car as he\'s over trying to repair my original one which infuriates me as I\'ve spent over 3k on parts on the original box...! I\'m seriously thinking its time to change mechanics! I was impressed with Dtech (did the wiring loom swap) so i will be going there from now on - assuming I eventually get the car back!

Do you have a deal with the guy that you get a discount or something if he only works on it on certain days etc. if your paying full rate and have to pay for the stuff he\'s doing now I would get the car and take it to someone you trust. If though he\'s fixing under warranty or on the cheap then maybe it\'s worth the wait but there again if it messes up you waste more money.

No, I don\'t have a deal with the guy. He will be discounting the job due to how long it\'s taken him. I trusted him before this, have been going to him for the past 5 years and haven\'t had these issues before (apart from the gearbox).

It\'s beyond a joke now. The only reason I\'ve left it there is for him to fix the gearbox as I\'ve replaced all synchro\'s, bearings etc etc... pretty much the whole thing apart from the gears which appear great. At least I\'ll have a spare, just unfortunate about 4th!

I\'m giving him a week. Taking it on Friday no matter what!

• 1 month later...

Still no car...!

Decided to replace 4th gear which come in a set including 3rd so just waiting on these to arrive from Japan.

I bought a set of front Brembo\'s and was wandering if I fit just the front\'s will this affect my brake balance front to back... ??? I doubt they\'re going to clear my (x4) sets of 17" rims so may need to use spacers (5mm) which I\'m not too happy about but I love my rims and don\'t want 18\'s...

Callipers could do with another coat of paint, so will look into this prior to fitment.

8721907408_6536ed3b23_b.jpg

nice nice! wont affect your brake bias at all dude.

also i think i winski.. my cars running again now.. sux for you though :(

a couple of weeks were you saying originally? ;D

edit:

funkytown said:

hahaha 1 week right... TUI!

hope it progresses along reasonably for you. Im currently also rebuilding.. race ya :P I budget 3 months

oh wow :(

funkytown']

nice nice! wont affect your brake bias at all dude.

also i think i winski.. my cars running again now.. sux for you though :(

a couple of weeks were you saying originally? ;D

edit:

[quote name='funkytown said:

hahaha 1 week right... TUI!

hope it progresses along reasonably for you. Im currently also rebuilding.. race ya :P I budget 3 months

/quote]

oh wow :(

:D Doh...! I should have known... Lucky for some ay! How\'s your car going?

Excellent, thanks for confirming. Would like to get them fitted before I get the car back, but may take a while to get them painted etc... Just trying to decide on a colour. I\'m thinking Red & White.

8891d1124050038-brembo-color-change-br5.

haha sadly xp tells me build allllways go double budget and double time. mine is fuuucking awesome, puts out shred 321wkw.. goes pretty good ;D track weekend 25th cant wait.

red and white looks boss - have also seen Slydogs IRL in greeen!!! with black lettering..

conceptually i thought yuck as... IRL is boss as bother. has black wheels.

Yeah, always the way unfortunately... But well worth it in your case - 321kw! Woah! That\'s madness man! Where\'s the track day as I may try join in assuming my car\'s done by the 25th...

Not sure about Green... but black looks pretty good too! Will Google a few more pics before making my decision.

track will be manfiled - you\'re wwaaay the fark up north right?

yer its all kinds of fun madness. im just crossing fingers and toes my noisy as bother rear diff doesnt assplode, seems an r160 rear end dccd enabled doesnt like to many torques.

google pics are your freind.

Hi guys this is the first time im using this site to post somthing so if i have done it wrong then im sorry about it.

Anyways im posting this as i need a new engine for my v7 sti i have managed to blow the bottom end. Any ideas on where i could get this done in the wellington area and what id be looking to spend?

Also whats a good turbo to put on the car as im thinking to change it. Vf22?? Or a aftermarket.

I would like to know my options as id like to get some good power out of it over the 250kw i hope. And what i would need to do to get this.

Thank you guys for your help.

Manfield... Ah thats a pity! Taupo will be my track of choice, Hampton Downs is probably closer but don\'t run a dry sump yet so will stay clear due to the hills.

bhavin - You can buy a brand new short block from Subaru for a little over 3k. A short block excludes the heads, but has the crank, pistons etc... Depends on what you want out of it. In my opinion a stock V7 STI engine is capable of 250kw with the right mods. As for the turbo, a twin scroll is best (in my opinion) as they have minimal lag. VF36 or VF37 would be my choice. I have a VF22 and it goes really well.

Upgrade the fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, rails) and get a good tune. My mechanic had a Version 8 STI with a frount mount intercooler, flowed factory injectors, 500HP fuel pump, air intake and a Link G4 ECU (with a good tune) and he was getting 280KW at the wheels on 32PSI with factory engine / internals ::)

scooby-wrx said:

My mechanic had a Version 8 STI with a frount mount intercooler, flowed factory injectors, 500HP fuel pump, air intake and a Link G4 ECU (with a good tune) and he was getting 280KW at the wheels on 32PSI with factory engine / internals ::)

What turbo?

He had a VF37 on his V8 STI mate. Its been running antilag and 32 PSI daily ever since I\'ve been taking my car to him which has been over 5 years now. He recently sold it (see pics on Page 4). Probably sold it for a reason hey... ;) Its by far the quickest STI I\'ve ever been in.

funkytown said:

and for how long lol.

might make it back to taupo this year. have to make it to hamptons some time as well.

You could always convoy with me when I bring the car back from welly. Hampton is very close to my place so you have a place to stay.

SP00N said:

bhavin -

get a v7 shortie from wingers and a td06 and retune and uprated fuel system should get u the target power and run in the 11sec bracket...at abt 24psi or so (32 is abit much tbh)

Agree, 32 is very high! I\'ve never been in a car running such high boost and would not have believed it unless I saw it myself (on standard internals).

• Admin
 scooby-wrx said:

He had a VF37 on his V8 STI mate. Its been running antilag and 32 PSI daily ever since I\'ve been taking my car to him which has been over 5 years now. He recently sold it (see pics on Page 4). Probably sold it for a reason hey... ;) Its by far the quickest STI I\'ve ever been in.

32psi from a VF37, I\'m gonna have to say Orly to that. Pretty well established that VF turbos don\'t do much more than hot air at over about 22psi