Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

"Oil changers NZ"

bmc

Hi all,

Have not been on here since I sold my Forester WR Ltd early last year.

I have just purchased a 97 Legacy GTB wagon as my daily, it is located in Auckland and I am traveling up on Thursday to pick it up.

I got a VTNZ check on it and it came up with dirty oil in the report - this is no surprise as its due for a service in about 2.5k.

Question time:

I want to change the oil prior to driving back to Wellington and are by passing Tauranga on the way back. My only option is to go to oil changers as they can do it unbooked and I can\'t really waste a day waiting on a random garage I don\'t know to do my change.

Here is my dilemma:

At oil changers you have the choice of the following oils only:

* Caltex Havoline 10w30 or Delo 15w40

* Caltex Havoline fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40

Was also going to pay for an engine flush.

What are your guys thoughts - I don\'t really have many options and are not driving to Wellington on dirty oil. :)

It is also running a little rough on idle according the report but inspector was not concerned and mentioned it prob needs a tune up (due for service remember), I assume it prob needs a good tune up i.e spark plugs, leads, AFM, new filter or something similar.

Any input would be great.

Drop past my place in the weekend mate and ill do it for you. Prob needs the tps adjusted if its slightly funny on idle.

Failing that, plugs and afm and air filter for luck.

You could pick up a subaru filter and oil on the way in.

Ive got all the trays and stuff. I wouldnt worry about the flush until youve had a a couple thou on fresh oil. Im not a believer in flushing with dirty oil....run clean through and then flush it afterwards.

But each to their own i guess.

i was at the warehouse the other day and was getting something with the misses and a woman asked me what she should use in her car since her husband wasnt there, and yes she had red stamp in her trolley. Response was "Well centainly not that shit that you have there, have you thought about going to repco across the road?"

Swindog said:

Drop past my place in the weekend mate and ill do it for you. Prob needs the tps adjusted if its slightly funny on idle.

Failing that, plugs and afm and air filter for luck.

You could pick up a subaru filter and oil on the way in.

Ive got all the trays and stuff. I wouldnt worry about the flush until youve had a a couple thou on fresh oil. Im not a believer in flushing with dirty oil....run clean through and then flush it afterwards.

But each to their own i guess.

Dam it - I am heading back on Friday :\'(

Thank you for the kind offer of the century!

resurrection.inc said:

If u passing by hamilton i can do your oil change if you like and plugs

Not passing through the mighty tron - but, once again thank you so much for the offer. Understand spark plugs can be a pain to do if you don\'t know what you\'re doing.

More help on here than from NZHonda counterparts - I have a honda euro r as well.

They just like reminding me it\'s a subaru and will blow a bottom end know matter what I do to it ;D.

paulngui said:

Is an engine flush simply running clean oil through once or twice to essentially dilute out the old, dirty oil? And hence why you can use cheap stuff before putting in the good stuff?

Something to this effect - I have heard diesel oil is a good flusher.

any oil with a high detergent level, you can also get an engine flush additive that strips out a whole lot of crap too. unfortunately i\'m working mental hours atm, i\'m in auckland and have all the stuff to do oil and plugs, but no daylight hours off work... stupid people wanting s**t done before xmas.

pour in the flush fluid, leave it a few minutes idling, (read the bottle, they are all different) turn it off and flush it out. last change in mine, oil was a dark gold before the flush, after running a flush it was nearly black, very murky with like, very very fine carbon grit.

car runs nicer post flush... i guess it needed one :P