Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FMIC fan?

Anybody ever ran a fan on a fmic? Thinking of something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/radiators-cooling-systems/auction-548451532.htm

The radiator only has the engine fan on it which would suck some air through when stationary I guess but just wondered if anyone had tried it. Sitting at lights/drags whatever would be good to be able to flick it on keep temp down when engine fan isnt going. May not make enough difference? Thoughts?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no . would not achieve anything

the airflow through it before you stopped and the charge air through it as the engine idles are cooling it down . the intercooler doesnt get warm untill you start boosting

not needed .

only time you would want one is a tmic with the engine idling

caldinas benefit from this

loner']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Anybody ever ran a fan on a b]fmic[/b]? Thinking of something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/radiators-cooling-systems/auction-548451532.htm

The radiator only has the engine fan on it which would suck some air through when stationary I guess but just wondered if anyone had tried it. Sitting at lights/drags whatever would be good to be able to flick it on keep temp down when engine fan isnt going. May not make enough difference? Thoughts?

There isn\'t any room for a fan... underside has pipes... on top would ruin air flow through hood scoop.

My pipes get pretty hot sitting there from idle air flow through the intercooler is what keeps it cool thats why you have it. Sitting still you get no airflow hence why radiators have fans. Sure wouldnt get heat soak like tmic but not my point.

TMIC fans been covered.

evowrx']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Anybody ever ran a fan on a b]fmic[/b]? Thinking of something like this:

There isn\'t any room for a fan... underside has pipes... on top would ruin air flow through hood scoop.

My pipes get pretty hot sitting there from idle air flow through the intercooler is what keeps it cool thats why you have it. Sitting still you get no airflow hence why radiators have fans. Sure wouldnt get heat soak like tmic but not my point.

TMIC fans been covered.

I thought the post was about a TMIC... which is why I deleted my reply... I don\'t care about FMICs...

Stoffa said:

you would probably be better to put shrouds btween your FMIC and radiator, then the air the radiator fans pull would be forced through the FMIC while stationary

Ahhh like the zerosport jobbie. The rad fan needs to be on though...

What IAT you seeing on yours chris? Im getting 20deg on cruise and 23deg on a pull takes a bit to come back down. Mind I have a number plate covering a third of the cooler at present.

I haven\'t logged my car lately as im between tunes and dont really care, I also have removed my air seperator so sucking in a bit of hot engine bay air, I\'ll remake it if I end up keeping the FMIC. In winter I was getting between 15-20 degrees, probably 5 degrees hotter at the moment.

I do have my intercooler sprayers mounted in my bumper but dont have the bottle plumbed in.

As for your FMIC shroud, not like a zerosports one, I mean a sheet of aluminium that runs straight off each side of the intercooler so any air that goes through the intercooler gets forced through the radiator and doesnt escape around the side. When stationary it would also force air to get pulled through the intercooler.

Tony and Funky have done this, you can always set your fans to turn on earlier on the link.

Put shroud between IC and radiator

To be blunt not like it will hurt anything having the fan there, more that I can\'t really imagine it would achieve anything... It will just act as a heat sink to a degree, you\'re just kinda stopping that from increasing.

Which then gets heated up by the pipe in the engine bay which has heated up while you sit there anyway. And then the intake manifold which gets scorching hot, so get those spacer things too.

Maybe just heat wrap all the pipework, or just the cold side of it (IC - TB), see if you notice any change. I\'d put money you could sit the car idling for half an hour and the IC would at worst get *slightly* warm to the touch, purely just from engine bay air being cycled through it internally, but anything else will just bleed away like... well like a heat sink would.

• Admin
 evowrx']

[quote name='lachlan said:

fkn lol . click on the link . read the question on the auction and the response then look closely at the picture

/quote]

Doesnt say whether its 80w input or output chap.

My brain asplode....

it says how much you need to run it which is what they ask

when you drive ambient air blows accross the intercooler to cool it down to ambient temp

when you are strationary idling your engine is ingesting ambient air that is also flowing through the intercooler.

you intercooler actually doesnt shed any heat untill your heated charge air(boost) warms it up and creates a temp difference between the inside and the outside

We are borg said:

Have AC turned on the fans run mostly all the time ( or rig fans to run when ignition switch is on )

AC fan went walkabout when fmic was installed and dont have ac either.

My intercooler is pretty much flat to the body as it is a shroud wouldnt change much I think. Wouldnt wrapping the pipe keep heat in once it got hot. Two ways too look at it. Its alu so heat dissipates relatively quickly anyway?

Not terribly stressed either way just a thought not worried if its record breaking tech or not.

I\'m meaning the bit from cooler to TB

It will get hot from engine bay - it will be cooled on the inside from post intercooler air flowing through it. If you insulate it, then it *in theory* won\'t get hot in the first place

WHO WILL WIN THE OUTSIDE OR THE INSIDE ooooh

In practise it equates to 3/5th of f-all difference

evowrx']

[quote name='ODB said:

Totally need a Soopercooler!

/quote]

That would have to be the best idea!...WAIC. Best solution!

How many of your posts are reiterating the same point chap?

Facts are facts.............what can i say?...........LISTEN?............Its common sense!.....Use what works best for your application. Simple really...............The Yanks are onto it! Why try and make the FMIC system work better for your road car when its more suited to track work and the WAIC system works better in this application?

soopersubaru']

[quote name='ODB said:

Totally need a Soopercooler!

/quote]

That would have to be the best idea!...WAIC. Best solution!

How many of your posts are reiterating the same point chap?

Facts are facts.............what can i say?...........LISTEN?............Its common sense!.....Use what works best for your application. Simple really...............The Yanks are onto it! Why try and make the FMIC system work better for your road car when its more suited to track work and the WAIC system works better in this application?

Because it\'s heavier, more complex, more expensive, less reliable and requires maintenance...