Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

magnetic and proma mbl8

misfit

so im changing the oil in my gtb which is a little bit noisey (tapping) with magnatic and ive herd mbl8 works a treat but im wondering is it still worth using mbl8 with magnetic oil ?or will magnatic do the job by itself ? ..im thinking just to chuck the mbl8 in there any way cant cause any harm oh and do suburu just do one geniune oil filter for 2l turbos?h4 i think from memory? cheers

Does the tapping go away when the engine is warm? Could just be piston slap if so.

I'd try some Castrol edge with a higher viscosity myself, don't know if that's the right thing to do though. But watch out for aditives, sometimes it can just be snake oil (bull****).

(edit: woops, gut muddled up)

ReubenH said:

Does the tapping remail while the engine is warm? Could just be piston slap if so.

I'd try some Castrol edge with a higher viscosity myself, don't know if that's the right thing to do though. But watch out for aditives, sometimes it can just be snake oil (bull****).

In fact Proma MBL8 has been widely documented as being very effective on issues such as noisy lifters.

When I worked at Ralliart Proma was used on over 50% of the services for early VR-4, Evo 1-3, & even the early legacy turbos.

Every one know how noice Mitzi tappets can get.

Proma has alot of good additives in it it just looks like sh#t

Dont use synthetic thin oil every its point less. (thin oil = even noiser lifters)

Use semi synthetic thicker oil but change it at 5,000km & let your turbo idle to cool down. eg 20w-40, 25w-40, 25-50

When I was there we used to follow the instructions on the bottle mixing what ever the amount is for a 4-cylinder with the last litre of engine oil.

Now I believe they just use the whole bottle for one car Because there customers are too tight to change the lifters & the Proma is not bad for the engine.

On my old GSR I used half a bottle on each oil change & this fixed the noise sweet.

Also the best oil filter to use for cheep is a Fram from Super Cheep The Subaru model is a PH3593A

We used these as well on every thing before there was a super cheep because the Fram company was across the road. They were used on evry Evo 1-7 STD, Group N & A rally cars etc with no worries

mbl8 is really good on car with hydraulic lifters........But, your GTB won't have, or at least shouldn't have hydraulic lifters.

mbl8 will still be good to clean up the inside of your engine (i used it on my old GTB) I just wouldn't expect it to fix a tap/knock. As already suggested a tap or knock from a GTB is more likely to be piston slap or BEB.

My old GTB made a tapping sound until it warmed up, it never affected performance and I sold it before it **** itself completely.

ok sweet so yeh sounds like its piston knock common on the old gtb from what ive herd its definatly noiesyest when cold and gets better once warm so will proma help this noise or would i just be putting it in for piece of mind really?cheers

Lifters will get quiter as the engine oil warms up too. But yes those legacy get piston knock & sometimes realy bad but the sound is very differnt. You need to get someone who can tell the diference to have a listern to it.

If its Piston knock. I would sell it!

i have use d mbl8 2 oil changes ago and it didnt seem to make tomuch difference to the knocking sound so would this probly sudgest that its not lifter noise and that my car probly dosnt have hydrolic lifters ?? cant really see the point in trying it again if my car doesnt even have hydrolic lifters

You have an auto, auto's have the EJ20H, which is the older engine. I can say for sure that the Manual GTB's with the EJ20R have the newer solid lifters, but i don't know noting bout 20H's, other than they have the embossing on the rocker covers like the good old EJ20G's.

1989 RS leggy........i just did an oil change and dropped some MBL8 in it seems to be working a treat. the ticking of the lifters can't be heard 85% of the time so it's not silencing the lifter noise 100% of the time......the MBL8 stuff just looks like s h i t! when u mix it up with the oil

• 5 months later...

The concentrate is better for two reasons it works out cheaper as you will get 3 services in a 4 cylinder plus you can use it in mineral and synthetic oils the pre-mix can only be used in mineral and you use whole bottle.

Check out my website if you would like to purchase contact me off site if you'd like more infomation.

http://wilkinson.promastore.co.nz/Store/PerformanceProducts/Lubricants.aspx

Thanks Mike.

• 2 years later...

Hi Now have a performance products only website check it out for the magic stuff MBL8 do you realize it dose more than just quite nosiey lifters and the fuel additives do a lot more than save on fuel usage.

One thing quickly the pt5 has a top end lubricant built in so lubricants top end and helps to reduce spark plugs drying out helps espacially with race fuels enough said follow link.

www.promaperformance.co.nz/mawilkinson

Thanks Mike.