Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Heater not blowing hot air after overheat

If they do just the gasket im looking at 1k-1.5 according to the internet, some places charge around 2k. However I think when they go in to do this they will do other things including a service. atleast I hope. Im prepared to pay 2.5k but I will make sure if they ask for that much they better do more than 2 hour block pull and gasket swap.

Id do it my self but I dont have the tools or room and diff not the confidence or exp to do it. But from the amount of videos and research I have watched I would really love to be present when they do it. So I can make sure all the little things I know of are done right. And learn a little bit more watching it firsthand haha :D

ACL main and rod bearings, ARP head studs, water pump, tensioners/idlers, and timing belt, Head gaskets

Head bolts (12)

valve cover gaskets

spark plug tube seals

valve cover grommets

camshaft seals (4)

exhaust manifold gaskets

intake manifold gaskets

RTV grey for corners of valve covers.

Marky said:

Or option b of throwing in a known good engine - maybe 1k tops - in and out in an afternoon

Pros and cons either way I suppose

Yea but I have GREAT diffaculty finding an engine for it. Theres many ej20\'s but the car that broke is not an sti. It has sti written on it so I suspect it may be a jdm. here are the stats:

Launch Date: 7/10/1994 Price: 2,498,000 yen

Applied model code: GC8C48D

SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE

Engine Type ....................... 1994cc, water cooled, DOHC 16V, Open Deck block.

Engine Code ...................... EJ20GDW4HE

Rev Limit ........................... 7000rpm

Turbo .................................. TDO5H

Injectors .............................. 470cc

Bore/Stroke ........................ 92.0x75.0

Compression Ratio ............. 8.5

Max. Power Output ........... 260ps/6500rpm

Max Torque ....................... 31.5Kgm/5000rpm

0-60

Max Speed ........................ 180 km h (restricted)

SUSPENSION & STEERING

Front Axle ......................... McPherson Strut

Rear Axle .......................... Strut

Steering ............................. Power assisted rack and pinion.

Front Brakes ..................... 15” 2 pot Ventilated Disks

Rotor Size ........................ 277x24

Rear Brakes ...................... 14” 1 pot Ventilated Disks

Rotor Size ......................... 266x18

ABS .................................. Optional

Wheel Size ........................ 15x6.5JJ

Tyre Size ........................... 205/50R16

DRIVE TRAIN

Type................................... Full time AWD, Viscous Coupling

Transmission Type ............ 5MT

Transmission Code ........... TY752VB3FA

Transmission Ratios.......... 1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.825

Reverse 3.416

Final drive 4.111

Overall Length .................. 4340mm

Overall Width .................... 1690mm

Overall Height ................... 1405mm

Wheelbase .......................... 2520mm

Front Track ........................ 1465mm

Rear Track ......................... 1455mm

Weight ................................ 1230kg

Would any turbo ej20 block simply fit in it\'s place i wonder?

• Admin

Have you actually confirmed its a HG yet? Considering you said earlier that overheating it could damage the clutch plate I\'m not sure you\'re in a great position to diagnose it yourself.

And why would you do the main and big ends? And do you really genuinely believe a headgasket job on a Subaru is a 2 hour job?

boon said:

Have you actually confirmed its a HG yet? Considering you said earlier that overheating it could damage the clutch plate I\'m not sure you\'re in a great position to diagnose it yourself.

And why would you do the main and big ends? And do you really genuinely believe a headgasket job on a Subaru is a 2 hour job?

Where the gearbox meats the engine I saw damage caused by engine overheating and leaking burnt resadues all over it. It was in a youtube video. I have not confirmed it but According to the internet and my Limited amount of knowledge all signs point to gasket. And Yer I was watching videos of people replacing headgaskets on youtube, they did not show them puting the engine block backtogether again but I cant imagine it would take much longer than the hour long video of them pulling it apart and replacing gaskets.

Okay dude... Time for you to put down the internets.....

Headgasket job is an easy 8 hour job when you include removing and refitting the engine....

Let alone stripping the block to remove the heads.

Do yourself a huge favour and stop trying to research this...

Take it to a decent workshop and get them to fix it..

• Admin

If anyone short of a works rally team could even get the downpipe off a car it\'s never been removed from before in less than an hour I\'d consider them a damn good mechanic.

And thats with a hoist and a big box of air tools.

It\'s booked into the mechanic and I told them I suspect a HGbut they will figure the problem out forsure.

8 hours job. I must be missing somthing but Ill post a link of a guy who did filmed himself doing it. this video was 40mins long.

• Admin
 Zach said:

It\'s booked into the mechanic and I told them I suspect a HGbut they will figure the problem out forsure.

8 hours job. I must be missing somthing but Ill post a link of a guy who did filmed himself doing it. this video was 40mins long.

Yes, you\'re missing the part where that\'s a SOHC naturally aspirated motor that he doesn\'t pull out of the engine bay. So I don\'t know how well he would have gone with surfacing the block if it required it. Never mind how with editting and cutting it\'s still 40 minutes

Edit: I skipped to the end and he\'s got 1 head off it. That\'s all. Bear in mind that putting anything back together takes 3-4 times longer, you don\'t have to loosen head bolts to a specific torque or anything like that.

madmike said:

I can tell you funky and I both have first hand experience of blown HG...

Mine was fine until you boosted. Then it blew coolant out.

I know of a least three other motors that have done the exact same thing.

The last one was only three weeks ago.

So before you FFS me you better have got your s*** all in a nice little row...

as i said its not the boost . you have a marginal cooling system and it can cool the marginal power out put of putting around . get some load up it and its going to boil straight away . being that more energy than goes to the wheels is converted straight to heat in the cooling system . the boost is irrelevant .

lachlan']

[quote name='madmike said:

I can tell you funky and I both have first hand experience of blown HG...

Mine was fine until you boosted. Then it blew coolant out.

I know of a least three other motors that have done the exact same thing.

The last one was only three weeks ago.

So before you FFS me you better have got your s*** all in a nice little row...

/quote]

as i said its not the boost . you have a marginal cooling system and it can cool the marginal power out put of putting around . get some load up it and its going to boil straight away . being that more energy than goes to the wheels is converted straight to heat in the cooling system . the boost is irrelevant .

holy s***! were did you paste that from haha

the boost is completely relevant . as mike and jon ive had the same happen and have pics to prove .

back your facts up. because if you dont know might be better to just not say anything at all

either that or stop trolling

"IF YOU LIKE I COULD WALK ACROSS THE SECTION TOMORROW AFTER WORK & HAVE A LOOK" yes cap\'s lock\'s is \'shouting\' because i can open my front door & see the car parked up :D nothing wrong with a honda either

must be safe out here cos mine have been sitting on the lawn with the keys in them awaiting some garage space, \'key has just been removed since that comment\'

CUDDAS :)

aww dude! it\'s you! Yea man I been wanting to come over and ask if your the owner of that mythical RS I have seen floating around Facebook hahaha. I\'m working from 7am to 10pm until sunday lol. I might not be working saturday daytime if im lucky, would I be able to come around and see you then? I could bring the car round if you want to check it out. :D

Hey yeah mate that might be me haha...

& that\'d be all right aye, i don\'t work weekends if i have too & there\'s not a lot here i can do until they finish off their building work, so ill be around :)

Hit up f.f.sltd if youre after an engine rebuild, thdy have good prices and great quality builds. Thats only if you decide youre engines toast and want to upgrade it. Good luck with issues though

jazza said:

Hit up f.f.sltd if youre after an engine rebuild, thdy have good prices and great quality builds. Thats only if you decide youre engines toast and want to upgrade it. Good luck with issues though

Yea thanks man. I have hit him up and I\'ll be contacting him again soon about an engine rebuild. Turns out I had air in the radiator pipes,Shes running good now. Hoping the air did not get in there via the HG but atleast I can drive her to a mechanic instead of towing lol ;D