Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI engine/gearbox conversion into GC8 Type R - Who has done this?

Hi Guys,

I am getting a V7 Engine/Gearbox package for my GC8 Type R (v3). Just wanted to know who has done this conversion on here. It is a DIY project so i might need some help mostly with the wiring.

Thanks.

doesnt need any wiring, the harness plugs are the same.

If you have dccd in your V3 then unless your box has dccd you will lose the function and have a left over plug in your loom harness - and is no problem.

Im sure some searching under \'6 speed swap\' should net you the results your after. many people have done it.

Apologies. I meant for the gearbox. Didnt see engine as well which is really hard.

dotdog said:

Ive done the gearbox swap into a v4 type r, simple conversion, only took half a day with 3 people and hoist. Just make sure you have the 6 speed center drive shaft as the five speed one wont fit.

Auto one works too unsure if GC/GF one or v7/8 one but can see it being a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks for the update guys.

My major concerns are the AVCS, immobiliser and speedo.

How did you get your speedo to work and how did you remove the immobiliser function. im getting my parts from a 01 Jap Import GDA

• Admin

GDA is WRX, GDB is STI, just so we\'re clear... quite different motors.

Japspec GDB doesn\'t have an immobiliser so no worries there.

If you have the full loom and ECU it will make life a bit easier.

If you don\'t have the ECU or a Link G4 you\'re pushing shit uphill trying to make the AVCS work.

Speedo, my understanding is that you\'ll need to pull the speedo drive unit off your existing gearbox, assuming you still have it, and swap it onto the 6sp. Should work, though I might be thinking of another swap here.

Wish i could. Im in Fiji and there are no dynos here.

i\'ve seen a wiring kit on the net for the avcs. Will see how i go. Start with the mechanical stuff first.

Sorry, it is a GDB Jap import. Im getting the complete wiring, ecu, fpc, etc.

Most of the stuff is coming in on monday. Will post some pics up.

Thanks guys

It\'s good u getting whole wiring loom etc as that way u can wire it all in and it should be ok

Using full gdb loom on a gdb motor will make it a lot easy to setup

U can use the gdb speedo as well because that runs off the same loom

That way there is no issue with speed sensors etc

Things to note will be the drive shaft length and as above use the gdb one or a auto Wrx one or a auto legacy also works

Dont try and patch in ur own loom as will make like a lot harder

Just run the gdb loom on top of the stock loom or remove stock loom in the bits u don\'t need

U will also need a gdb fuel controller as the Ecu will throw a code

Well u can delete the code so that\'s not too bad I think

I wud adv to use a gdb fuel sender unit as unsure if the v3 one is same signal - we used a gdb one so someone can confirm that bit

If u dont use gdb boost solenoid u will get a code but again u can easily remove that

Oh same for the rear o2 sensor not sure If u getting that but it\'s not really important so don\'t worry on that one and just delete the code it throws

I\'m sure the afm will come with the engine as will need that for sure

I wud highly recomend a front mount as hot weather there and a proper cold air intake if u can

May hav to mod ur clutch slave cyl if fitting gdb top mount

Hook up a water spray tank and use the gdb sprayer setup - it\'s a good thing

U can get gdb water tanks easily if not supplied

Jdm Ecu is tuned to 100octane gas and runs 18+ psi depending what exhaust mods u have

Best to retune Ecu to suit ur fuel and keep boost low as it will knock on anything lower than 100

Maybe chuck a tap and put to 14 or even put to wastegate pressure if u can until u can get it tuned

Last thing u wNt is blowing engines due to det etc

Clean ur fuel tank and new fuel filter before fitting engine be a good idea

Thanks for the replies guys.

i just received all the parts today and diff has been fitted. Will fit the gearbox and centre shaft tomorrow. Speedo cable will fit straight into the 6 speed box so no issues there.

Just a question regarding the power steering pump, do i have to use the GC8 pump?

Thanks for that SP00N

I am having some issues with the front cv shaft inners. The V3 gearbox has a outer splined shaft and the GDB box has an inner spline. How do i remove the shaft from the V3 Gearbox.

Hi Ninja 8)

I have removed the pin and taken the cv shaft off but i would like to remove the splined shaft from the gearbox so i can use that on the 6 speed gearbox.

The splined shaft (external) is pressed/locked onto the front diff and the front cv shaft inner joint (Internal) just slides onto this and then we use the locating pin.

Thanks.

wrong. all above ^

what you have is a v9+ onwards gearbox. they run female boxes as you\'ve described.

from Subaru you need to order a set of stubs, circlips and seals, they clip into the gearbox female stubs converting the box to male.

this also makes removing axles at a later date easy as the fluid wont fall out.