Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

your opinion

Im not looking for a super fast beast. Im looking for something that wont be in and out of the shop getting fixed.

Once its home I only want to be putting money towards the everyday running costs.

There hasnt been the "screw mitsi\'s" reaction that I was expecting to hear here on the forums. To be honest Im leaning towards the evo. I guess having owned a few subies Im just looking for something different.

I mean doesnt this look nice to you? - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo/auction-597075260.htm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

legacy666 said:

Im not looking for a super fast beast. Im looking for something that wont be in and out of the shop getting fixed.

Once its home I only want to be putting money towards the everyday running costs.

There hasnt been the "screw mitsi\'s" reaction that I was expecting to hear here on the forums. To be honest Im leaning towards the evo. I guess having owned a few subies Im just looking for something different.

I mean doesnt this look nice to you? - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo/auction-597075260.htm

yea mines sounds perfct not to fast an nothing left to spend on it.

legacy666 said:

Im a big fan of the look of that with the custom bonnet but damn its got some km\'s. The bushes/door hinges etc start to suffer. With all the evo 3 wannabe kits running around Ive lost interest in them. My libero had a full plastic evo 3 kit along with the guards/wider lower control arms and it looked sick not like the skinny body gsr guards with fibreglass body.

That particular ones been on there ages high km\'s being the turn off Id say.

evowrx']

[quote name='ra555 said:

Haha just buy mine.

/quote]

7-9k? lol

haha u selling yours for that much

Thats his budget lol.

haha im not too sure how much id sell mine for.hahha if u came to me with that in cash I probly would sell for 9k hahaha

lunchie said:

this is nice for the money

Just FYI other than the rust issues evo 1-3 are not known for any significant really bad faults, just the usual issues of replacing worn out parts on an older car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/evolution/auction-599319419.htm

Does it have wof/reg? Scary thing is the boost tap and has that raped car look about it. Needs a top timing cover - any 4g6# dohc cover will fit. Amazing it still has the console lid too.

Gearboxes get crunchy in them with quick shifting but evo boxes arent as expensive as gsr boxes. Still 3-4x the coin than a sti 5sp lol. They are pretty bullet proof you just have to live with the shitty built interior and the window regs that always fuck out. That example has a tidy looking interior especially for the kms.

p/plate put on and taken off = new rego

Some people just change them for kicks - I did with my current car cause the original plate said "FAJ" on it and wife hated it haha

Re; interior side of things - make up your own mind I guess - it\'s not like an old legacy or a first gen impreza is anything to get excited about either - these are all 20 year old cars we\'re talking bear in mind.

Bang for buck - evo, hands down - there are some niggly bits (some had the roof rust issue, minor parts which die i.e window regs / idle stepper motors etc) but the 4G is a bulletproof motor, ditto for the gearbox in them. They can get tired but they will take a world of punishment where the suby stuff falls over (early stuff mind you - late model it\'s pretty equal)

If your budget can stretch to finding one, an E5 is the pick of the bunch - you get the widebody look, brembos, reflashable ECU and so on out of the box - an E4 will always be the budget equivalent. The early models (evo 1&2) are the more stripped down / less creature comforts option I guess? E3 is for a lot of folks still their ultimate choice - and commands a big price tag for that reason - no real world benefits other than saying "its genuine" and a touch less weight

Or get a GTS4 skidrine and put a big motor in it :D

Evo 3 is slightly quicker again. they got quicker everytime 1-3. Slightly better turbo/cams/moar powar/shit I cbf remembering since I changed marques. Wider control arms in the front too. I busted one of mine and it was only the same as evo 3 so finding a replacement was fuckin difficult as theres not many being wrecked.

If buying a 3 buy it original and keep it that way. Worth a few bob if you sit on it so you could call it an investment. Evo 5 for the win as far as getting everything in one hit. Even gsrs are firecracker quick if you can find one with a forged engine.

Part of me would love an early evo to thrash the shit out of on a daily basis but I love my car too much now...I think.

I would look out for a nice Numbers matching EVO 3. They are a little more looked after than most other EVO\'s as they are a littler rarer and price higher to reflect that. GSR is pretty high spec interior and engine is best of First Gen EVO\'s

• Admin
 evowrx said:

Now that\'s a curious beast.

Somewhere between a WRX and an STI.

It has the wrong seats and most tellingly, it has non-brembos and WRX rims. But the engine bay looks kosher and they say it\'s 6speed... I wonder if it\'s had some sort of conversion done?

EDIT: How confusing, it checks out as a GDB STI... so why does it have the wrong brakes?

boon']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Now that\'s a curious beast.

Somewhere between a WRX and an STI.

It has the wrong seats and most tellingly, it has non-brembos and WRX rims. But the engine bay looks kosher and they say it\'s 6speed... I wonder if it\'s had some sort of conversion done?

EDIT: How confusing, it checks out as a GDB STI... so why does it have the wrong brakes?

Yip saw that. Maybe stripped the good bits for a hatch or quick buck? Not an RA?

legacy666 said:

An evo 3 would be great but Im not really wanting to spend quite that much. Plenty of 1 and 2 out there ( which is the shape im liking) and plenty of 4 and 5\'s ( not a big fan of the shape) all around the same price.

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/600170565

4&5 = resale and more potential down the track (more bolt-on stuff available)

Like comparing say a V6 to a V7 I suppose - similar $$ for either, later model has all the nice gear, but the looks are quite a change

Marky']

[quote name='legacy666 said:

An evo 3 would be great but Im not really wanting to spend quite that much. Plenty of 1 and 2 out there ( which is the shape im liking) and plenty of 4 and 5\'s ( not a big fan of the shape) all around the same price.

url=https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/600170565]https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/600170565[/url]

4&5 = resale and more potential down the track (more bolt-on stuff available)

Like comparing say a V6 to a V7 I suppose - similar $$ for either, later model has all the nice gear, but the looks are quite a change

The EVO went backwards during the 4, slowly got better with the 5. It wasnt untill the EVO 6 that the performance really overtook the EVO 3. Wouldnt tounch an EVO 4. EVO 5 at least you get brembo\'s and better looking car.

There\'s an original unmolested Evo I GSR i know of, totally factory and car still looks like it just came out of the factory couple years ago not 20!

However, i don\'t think the owner would sell for cheap but it\'s probably the best condition evo of that era you\'ll find!

• 1 month later...