Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EJ20R Big End Bearing Failure

gtlegacy

Heya,

i have an rsb with ej20r and a beb failure lol

im just interested in the reason behind the engine being common to have beb failures

i heard a couple of things like something to do with bearing for something to do with cam belt or cams

and obvious things like bad maintenance tune and revs

and what can be done to help ?

im getting it rebuilt if the crank and rods are useable or another short block

whats the best solutions to the problem

my thoughts are

racing bearings

sticking to 95+octane

split rails

walbro ( old pump anyways so good time to change)

Guest boostcut

race bearing is rather hard and will fcuk a crank in no time, although i have used them in my car and they seem to be fine at 7500rpm

Guest boostcut

when your going to abuse your car... the main cause for beb failure in subarus or any car for that matter is poor maintenance of oil or oil pressure,excessive revs and detonation.

Guest boostcut

genuine subaru ones are more than good enough.... just look after your sh!t good. make sure your not leaning out and have mint oil pressure....

there is no difference between the STI and standard WRX engine bearings on the same model year.

for another opinion on rebuilds try Warren at Innovate autotech 09 273 2911 (ex PBMS). he does a lot of street spec subarus and may even have an exchange engine for you

readosnr said:

there is no difference between the STI and standard WRX engine bearings on the same model year.

for another opinion on rebuilds try Warren at Innovate autotech 09 273 2911 (ex PBMS). he does a lot of street spec subarus and may even have an exchange engine for you

I know Warren from when i lived in Auks.. certainly knows his shit, like all good things tho hes generally busy and things take time.

Seems well prices the only downer is you have to take your car out to HighBrook drive, East Tamaki

ok so i can get some cosworth bearings off another user on here i just want to know if they are really the best option as its a road car may do a couple of track days and i would probably give it death on the road as well

It seems both kevin and murray at PBMS prefer stock bearings of the ACL's. Infact, kevin mainly had bad things to say about the ACL bearings, and generally was un-impressed by them. They have both told me and drunken-monkey-matt to go stock bearings. (Been a year now for me, no regrets)

As for why GTB's love to blow BEB's more than any other subaru... One of my favorite 'reasons' or theories is that they live abused lives. You have to ring the guts out of them to make any power, the only fun range is between 6000 and 7000 rpm in them, on the peak of secondary, unlike the same year STi's which just make power all over the place (pretty much from 3-4000rpm on). I certainly thrashed the shit out of my TT, but after i swapped to single i barely get over 6000 any more.

Hey

got another question this time its about the throttle body

i am thinking about plauing with my intake as i have 3 throttle bodies

it is for 97 rsb tt manual

would there be any benefit in maching the twin turbo throttle body out to the larger size to fit a 2.5"(i think) butterfly from a 90 gt ej20g and then fitting it to my car again

i dont know if this helps but im getting split rails as well and maybe a chiped ecu at some stage (mines, syms or prova)

Guest boostcut

yes it is a good idea but for the cost of it you wont notice alot of difference. and why does everyone like these damn prova chiped computors? theyre sh!t why not get a chip put in your computor that is going to support the mods YOU have done to YOUR car not what some asian cock in japland did. atleast you then know the fuel its tuned for and how much boost etc.

boostcut said:

when your going to abuse your car... the main cause for beb failure in subarus or any car for that matter is poor maintenance of oil or oil pressure,excessive revs and detonation.

Oil temp and detonation are huge cause's

Detonation can be caused from one or 10 differnt things

You must find out WHY your engine ran a bearing, to prevent the same thing happening

just wondering what are the best gauges to get

i am looking at getting some for my rsb i have a set from a v2 sti i think the lamco set with volts intercooler charge and turbo but i really want oil temp oil press and turbo are they the best 3 to get? i like the defi sti guage but i dont have $1500 for that more like $350 lol

is there a standard gauge set with all of them that i can get? and what car are they from i know the 22b has them right?

or any after market ones i have had the autogauge 60mm steppers and they were mud and the cables broke and pulled out

can you post up some pics of what youve got

im not a fan of pillar mounts but may consider the on dash mounts?

autogauge gauges should be fine, if pull on the wires to hard on any gauge it will break lol

i did mine my self, cost all of $2 for sand paper, if you need to buy paint and bog will be abit more,

i would go for boost, oil press & oil temp, you will prolly find someone on trademe selling three as a package, something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Gauges/auction-226209826.htm

had mine set up like this:

93636338_full.jpg

This is second hand information, but from a reliable Clubsub post made many many years (and versions) ago. One of the major causes for beb failure, particularly on the EJ20R, was put down to a design fail by Mr. Fuji and his heavy industries. The open-deck block design caused bad things to occur with the engine harmonics at high speed/load. Although this itself wouldn't always destroy the engine, it definitely laid the foundations for this to occur. Not all of the engines problems can be put down to crappy fuel/detonation/ancillary parts. The predominant reason for this engine being a grenade was just simply its poor design. Note how they went away from open-deck, probably after the increased number of blown engines?

It's a pitty the old post (by Doogs) was lost, it was a great read