Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Neutral clutch pedal position

frqnt

So after I boot my car and let it warm up a bit the clutch is usually still a fair way toward the rear of the car in relation to the foot rest. BUT sometimes, the peddle sits nicely, almost perfectly, adjacent to the foot rest. Usually after is warmed up proper.

Which is the <i>normal</i> position? And what does this varying play/movement amount to? The clutch has some 20,000km on it. Could it be high/low spots?

I definitely prefer it when it rides right next to the foot rest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Muchas gracias

lachlan said:

sounds like the spring is missing off them slave cylinder /clutch fork .

That makes it stick on the floor so you have to flick it off with your toes but doesnt do it all the time its worse when fangin it. Always run one on the wrx but foz didnt have one when I got it. Took a bit to figure it out.

I was wondering a similar thing the other day, Ive been making a conscious effort to learn the left foot breaking but the clutch pedal sits slightly further out than the brake pedal which inhibits a nice flow between the two, can it be adjusted?

JoKer said:

lol computer generation : boot = start?

Yeah, sorry. Been years since I\'ve messed about with cars :/

The peddle certainly returns to it\'s neutral position every time, but sometimes said position is nearer the front of the car. The amount that it\'s varies by is essentially useless as the actual clutch doesn\'t seem release until the pedal is past the foot rest. If that makes sense.

Strange.

Bugle said:

I was wondering a similar thing the other day, Ive been making a conscious effort to learn the left foot breaking but the clutch pedal sits slightly further out than the brake pedal which inhibits a nice flow between the two, can it be adjusted?

Off topic, but why do you want to left foot break?

Left foot breaking is dumb unless you can cluthless shift every time with proper sync but even then you\'re going to F up your synchromesh at some point no matter how good you are!! Especially on these 4WD\'s, I\'d totally not risk it. Surely the heel toe would be a better technique for aggressive breaking (read: fangin\' the $*** out\'ve your poor car)!?

frqnt']

[quote name='Bugle said:

/quote]

Off topic, but why do you want to left foot break?

Left foot breaking is dumb unless you can cluthless shift every time with proper sync but even then you\'re going to F up your synchromesh at some point no matter how good you are!! Especially on these 4WD\'s, I\'d totally not risk it. Surely the heel toe would be a better technique for aggressive breaking (read: fangin\' the $*** out\'ve your poor car)!?

Left foot braking is usually used for trail braking or to make adjustments to the pitch of the car around corners. It doesn\'t replace your right foot braking. So you might heel n toe when you\'re braking into the corner, then get on the throttle and then as you\'re going around it you might touch the brake with your left foot if you need to make a small adjustment (if for example your car is understeering and you want to transfer some weight to the front wheels). Or, if you\'re going around a higher speed corner where you don\'t need to down change, you might trail brake into the corner to get the back end of the car out a bit because it means you can immediately get on the throttle with your right foot (no need to transition between pedals with the same foot).

In reality, unless you are Colin Mcrae it isn\'t going to help you 99.99999% of the time haha

Flat4']

[quote name='Timmah said:

You boot your car when cold? I would advice against this.

/quote]

Not always easy to warm up the car before you start it Timmy :P

I interpreted boot as in thrash or give the car some beans. Not boot as in start up, like you boot up a computer :D

Flat4']

Left foot braking is usually used for trail braking or to make adjustments to the pitch of the car around corners.

Okay, sweet. That is a good synopsis. And I appreciate you taking the time to explain that further for me. But as you\'ve stipulated...

[quote name='Flat4 said:

In reality, unless you are Colin Mcrae it isn\'t going to help you 99.99999% of the time haha

I rekkin you\'re totally on point there.

I can\'t decide if touching the break to overcome understeer is really viable for a street driven car given the shear loading it\'ll place on all the drivetrain!! If I had a team of mechnaics and works sponsorship backing me I\'d be all over this.

So about my wandering clutch peddle....

JoKer said:

1/ A size 12 steel capped re boot :P

or

2/ in the case of an old school computer restart (reboot) cntrl alt del after getting the msg "abort retry fail" (old school computers PCs - pre windows ms DOS? l think ??? over 20 years ago. ;D

Stodart']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

1/ A size 12 steel capped re boot :P

or

2/ in the case of an old school computer restart (reboot) cntrl alt del after getting the msg "abort retry fail" (old school computers PCs - pre windows ms DOS? l think ??? over 20 years ago. ;D

Yeah apologies too for being silly :P ;D

evowrx']

[quote name='lachlan said:

sounds like the spring is missing off them slave cylinder /clutch fork .

/quote]

That makes it stick on the floor so you have to flick it off with your toes but doesnt do it all the time its worse when fangin it. Always run one on the wrx but foz didnt have one when I got it. Took a bit to figure it out.

Last night I was driving home, I hadn\'t really been spooling up the turbo and I notcied the pedal sunk to it\'s recessed position. I then was able to flick it back out to it\'s normal position.

So a preliminary diagnosis would be a spring missing from the slave cylinder... Can I do something to make it stick near the floor, always? Makes for happy shifting I rekkin.

Ta