Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

bug eye versus blob eye (2000-2002 Versus 2003-2005 wrx sti)

slystiguy

Could someone let me know what the differences are between these models JDM an NZ models? The bug eye sti seems to be on average 5k cheaper than the blob eye so just curious as to what makes them worth the extra coin? I do know they have twin scroll on the newer models but what else? Maybe I should just forget about it and get a 2door coupe?

• Admin

V8 gets twinscroll, DCCD, slightly updated interior (dash, console, seats)

Slight revision to taillights

Slightly changed cam profile

NZ new vs JDM, NZ ones get an immobilizer and possibly a slightly different dash. Other than that, not sure of the differences.

newsuba']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

V8\'s also have DCCD which was only available In a few non-ABS version 7\'s

/quote]

Yep.

Like v7, v8 buyers could have ABS or DCCD but not both in the same car.

That revolution didn\'t happen until the v9.

Incorrect. Ver8 had both. Mine does from factory along with every other ver8 I\'ve seen.

Minaj said:

V7 sti is one of the strongest subaru engine\'s from what I\'ve heard and seen.

Yeah I have heard this too. v8 went to hypercast or something

v7sti is probably the best value performance car on sale right now.

Its safe,, 4/5 star, not that old either

Its reliable

Fast, easy to handle, easy to mod, practical, dailyable

All for 12k

I hate the v8 for one reason... its stupid looking steering wheel.

I wonder if you can swap on the legacy or v7 one?

Ver8 had dccd and abs in the jdm stuff for sure only the Singapore (sometimes the cheep ones but not aways lol) had no dccd in the ve8 STI to my knowledge. You can swap the steering wheel but I think the 8 one is nicer then the 7 and also better then the 9/10. Personal preference tho :D.

7s are cheep and bang for buck with 100+ to choose from at any point in time... Not so much the same with the 8s if your looking for a specific colour etc makes things harder and can blow the "5k" difference into "8k" in no time if you get what I mean

Partner and I have had ours coming up 6 years as well as v7 sti\'s at the same time and really like both but all day the dash and bigger seats in the 8 are nice and more modern look especially the tail lights with partial clear lense etc.

Yes the 7 engines are tough but its not all in the pistons, the ver8 has a better crank then 99% of the v7 sits out there and proven the 8 pistons are tough as just don\'t like sloppy maps with any det.

Just comes down to budget mainly as u could do a fair amount with 5+k elsewhere (not necessarily on the car hahaha ::)) and then yeah what YOU like the look of the best etc.

The 8 is a lot more lively to drive from stock I will say that tho

marc said:

Ver8 had dccd and abs in the jdm stuff for sure only the Singapore (sometimes the cheep ones but not aways lol) had no dccd in the ve8 STI to my knowledge. You can swap the steering wheel but I think the 8 one is nicer then the 7 and also better then the 9/10. Personal preference tho :D.

7s are cheep and bang for buck with 100+ to choose from at any point in time... Not so much the same with the 8s if your looking for a specific colour etc makes things harder and can blow the "5k" difference into "8k" in no time if you get what I mean

Partner and I have had ours coming up 6 years as well as v7 sti\'s at the same time and really like both but all day the dash and bigger seats in the 8 are nice and more modern look especially the tail lights with partial clear lense etc.

Yes the 7 engines are tough but its not all in the pistons, the ver8 has a better crank then 99% of the v7 sits out there and proven the 8 pistons are tough as just don\'t like sloppy maps with any det.

Just comes down to budget mainly as u could do a fair amount with 5+k elsewhere (not necessarily on the car hahaha ::)) and then yeah what YOU like the look of the best etc.

The 8 is a lot more lively to drive from stock I will say that tho

Yeah, a stock v8 would blow away a stock v7 but in the same way a 12k v7sti with 5 spent on it would destroy a stock 17k v8 sti.

I mean 5k would get you an a v7sti with a full remap, exhaust, intake, 3 port boost solenoid, front and rear sway bars and better brake pads and fluid and ZeroSport springs

= 200+ kw atw in car that stops and go\'s and rips around corners.

Anyway, that is just my opinion but there it is.