Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car check - STI genuine or not?

ADIKT

Hi people,

Can someone find out if a car is a genuine STI or not?

Car has STI everything... but car jam doesn\'t say anything about STI at all

Car is a 1998 v4 gf8 in silver

Have receipts for a brand new v7 sti shortblock mated to a ej20k

Plate: EPL844

VIN: 7A8GF090707040640

Chassis: GF8-040640

Let me know if you need more info

my cars a sti type r and it just comes back as a wrx on carjam but is definitely a genuine sti.has guard badges,sti speedo etc.think it just depends on how the person filled out the paper work when it was first registered.same goes for evo\'s.some are registered as just lancers but are genuine evo\'s

GC8E2DD said:

People don\'t usually go to the trouble of changing the FHI plate. Probably still your best bet for identification if you have access to the car.

engine number is ej20-030026. Where would I find that plate? Will ask him to send me a pic

Edit: is it the one on passenger strut tower?

sobanoodle said:

GF8040640

DOB: 02/09/1997

Model: Impreza

Model code: G10

Chassis code: GF8

Colour code: 406(???????????)

Trim code: 830(DARK GRAY)

Submodel: WRXSTI

Engine: EJ20K(2.0L EMPI DOHC TURBO)

Transmission: MT(????)

Where did you get that info?

So its safe to say its a genuine?

Its off a mate, I just want to be triple sure

rslegy said:

check with the dealership

Just spoke to the winger service team,

Car is a genuine sti ! sweet!

Checked the part number for the short block also. Its a genuine brand new ej207 from a v7 sti

Thanks for everyones help!

kamineko']

If the engine code is Ej20k i would say its a genuine sti.

negative, K designation is not STI specific

Because it\'s a hatch, I\'m more inclined to agree it\'s an STi as the hatches of that time (or at least 1997) had the EJ20G engine. Not sure if \'98 went 20K though.

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

Oh really?! Thought ej20k was a v3/4 sti engine?!?

Maybe im wrong! As always haha!

Getting a wagon are we Andrew?

STi and non-STi sedans of v3/4 had the 20K. But the STi had the stronger internals.

Timmah']

If the engine code is Ej20k i would say its a genuine sti.

negative, K designation is not STI specific

Because it\'s a hatch, I\'m more inclined to agree it\'s an STi as the hatches of that time (or at least 1997) had the EJ20G engine. Not sure if \'98 went 20K though.

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

Oh really?! Thought ej20k was a v3/4 sti engine?!?

Maybe im wrong! As always haha!

Getting a wagon are we Andrew?

/quote]

STi and non-STi sedans of v3/4 had the 20K. But the STi had the stronger internals.

Mines had a new ej207 short block installed and apparently rest of the engine is stock standard

v2 sti is ej20g (this has the td05 turbo with 90 degree angle on it) 95/96

v3 sti is ej20k (this has the vf23 turbo that has the under manifold intake) 96/97

Best place to search your subaru plate and the only true way of finding out what it was originally sold as (not taking into account the mods/replacement parts someone has chucked in)

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html

just putting my two cents worth here on carjam itself, i queried carjam about a car and the rego as they did not match, the response i received is often car jam does not have a picture or proper details of a car, therefore it just puts in the information close enough, if you look at car regos on there you will notice there are a tonne of cars (for example) where it says 1999 wrx v5 and its a bugeye pictured

so car jam acknowledge their database is not completely accurate over details

subysnax said:

just putting my two cents worth here on carjam itself, i queried carjam about a car and the rego as they did not match, the response i received is often car jam does not have a picture or proper details of a car, therefore it just puts in the information close enough, if you look at car regos on there you will notice there are a tonne of cars (for example) where it says 1999 wrx v5 and its a bugeye pictured

so car jam acknowledge their database is not completely accurate over details

The pics are not accurate they are pics people load up of their own cars to get free searches.

The actual details of the car are accurate like VIN/chassis/engine/model/km. It is exactly what a warrant shop sees. So if its inaccurate there for example HD7C instead of H07C thats noonoo who vinned it upon arrival.