Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v5 sti ra. Need help with what motor has been swapped in.

whatshouldiget?

Hey guys so i purchased a car two days ago. It\'s a genuine v5 sti ra, Well the chassis is anyways. REGO and vin plate etc confirm this. The weird thing is the running gear. It seems to have parts from all different Subaru\'s. The only thing that seems to be factory is the J2 ecu.

I need help figuring out what motor and gearbox is in there so i can decide whether or not to keep as a project or flick it off. It also came with a folder of invoices that include a full rebuild from Engine rebuilders ltd in Auckland. i gave them a call to see weather or not they could shed some light on the motor but no luck as it was done last year and the records only show what is on the invoice. They do remember the car though. It also looks like it has been pulled apart and put back together judging by the rocker cover seals etc.

basically what i want to know is whether its an sti motor or not.

okay so it has:

J2 ecu

grey injectors

green afm

either a v3 or 4 IM

v5/6 coilpack which is held on by one bolt as the pattern does not match. also the loom plug only fits v5/6 coilpack. (tried a v3 one)

vf26 from some sort of twin turbo setup

i did some research on the J2 ecu and it states that it runs with orange afm and yellows.

It seems to run fine with the current set up but is not very powerful due to the little turbo and running wastegate pressure.

i need to snap some photos of it later but what are other ways to tell what motor it is? only thing i see stamped on the motor is ej20. The manifold looks like its factory silver and red paint has never been near it.

would you guys be able to tell if i went and counted the head bolts etc?

Thanks in advance

i\'m convinced that it\'s just a standard wrx non sti motor that has been swapped in with an sti top mount. The check engine light is not on but then again they could have just removed the bulb. I\'m waiting for some subaru guru to tell me the good news and say that it actually has an sti motor and all i need to do to get it running like it should is bolt the sti things back on and plug in an afm lol

whatshouldiget? said:

i\'m convinced that it\'s just a standard wrx non sti motor that has been swapped in with an sti top mount. The check engine light is not on but then again they could have just removed the bulb. I\'m waiting for some subaru guru to tell me the good news and say that it actually has an sti motor and all i need to do to get it running like it should is bolt the sti things back on and plug in an afm lol

You can tell if light has been removed - turn key to furthest position (acc) so all dash lights are on but don\'t crank engine - you should see the CEL illuminate

i thought about trying to get a refund but i got the car for quite cheap and the dude did say aiwi in the auction. I was pissed at myself yesterday when i had a proper look over the car and realized i should of looked at the car more thoroughly BEFORE giving the dude money. But hey shit happens and you live and learn. The CEL does not come up so i guess the engine light is still there.

whatshouldiget? said:

okay so it has:

J2 ecu

grey injectors

green afm

either a v3 or 4 IM

v5/6 coilpack which is held on by one bolt as the pattern does not match. also the loom plug only fits v5/6 coilpack. (tried a v3 one)

vf26 from some sort of twin turbo setup

i did some research on the J2 ecu and it states that it runs with orange afm and yellows.

It seems to run fine with the current set up but is not very powerful due to the little turbo and running wastegate pressure.

i need to snap some photos of it later but what are other ways to tell what motor it is? only thing i see stamped on the motor is ej20. The manifold looks like its factory silver and red paint has never been near it.

would you guys be able to tell if i went and counted the head bolts etc?

Thanks in advance

Post up a pic of the turbo, manifold, coil pack, afm, injectors and mainly the engine bay.

Grey phase 2 injectors is way odd even non sti had yellows.

A J2 ecu does not run an orange afm.

VF26 wont even come close to bolting up to stock flanges its waaayyy different.

j2 ecu requires insert type AFM, yellow phase 2 injectors.

v5 doesn\'t work with the older afm\'s

v5/6 insert type AFM is the same across all the models.

have a look at the plugs on the ecu, if yellow plugs, someone\'s swapped the ecu. if grey plugs someone could have swapped a non sti ecu internals into the case.

replace your CEL lamp, retrieve your CEL stored trouble codes (http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ReadingECUCodes#toc3)

do you have a boost gauge? if so, what pressures is it running?

ok so my check engine light works. the ecu has grey plugs but there is one plug off the loom which is not plugged into anything. the injectors are definitely grey and i have a insert type afm so i assume i have the correct one. From what i\'m gathering, it\'s not a 207 but either a 20g or 20k. I\'m having trouble posting pics. WTH is it so difficult lol

So we have phase 1 V3/4 manifold with p1 grey/non sti injectors/rails.

V5/6 afm.

V5/6 coilpack/leads.

V5/6 throttle body/sensors.

V5/6 sti ecu (providing the ecu matches the case).

Wastegate pressure as its linked directly from comp cover to actuator so 9psi give or take.

Sti intercooler and VF## by the look.

My moneys on a V5/6 car running standard loom etc but has had a V3/4 non sti longblock including mani and injectors dropped into it.

That other plug has an unknown purpose dont worry about it its not meant to be connected to anything.

IMG_2265_zps8b16f7ee.jpg

IMG_2260_zpsaf60e1e9.jpg

IMG_2259_zps7d19bef4.jpg

IMG_2258_zpsf966e411.jpg

IMG_2258_zpsf966e411.jpg

IMG_2256_zpsf51269d5.jpg

IMG_2255_zpsf06d1f64.jpg

IMG_2254_zpsbc85fb50.jpg

nah it\'s not blue. factory white. i ran the gearbox codes and it shows that the car has the v5 sti type r gbox. The dccdc doesnt work though and it seems to drive like it\'s in full lock 24/7. Has a slight clunk when doing slow right turns. This car needs a lot of work. will think about what to do with it in the next couple of days. thanks for your help guys

whatshouldiget? said:

nah it\'s not blue. factory white. i ran the gearbox codes and it shows that the car has the v5 sti type r gbox. The dccdc doesnt work though and it seems to drive like it\'s in full lock 24/7. Has a slight clunk when doing slow right turns. This car needs a lot of work. will think about what to do with it in the next couple of days. thanks for your help guys

ill buy the gearbox