Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Just broke down

Just broken down on the motorway.

Head unit started glitching, instrument gauges went crazy, boost gauge lost illumination.

Was running fine. Won\'t start.

Ideas?

I\'m thinking alternator? Or battery?

Plenty of oil.

Recently serviced + new alternator.

Could be faulty alternator?

No it just ticks, battery has charge but not enough to start the engine I\'m thinking. Was driving fine for 15 mins after my electronics actually died, so definitely electrical.

Tried to get her home but got like 2 km\'s off haha bugger!

We are borg']

[quote name='funkytown said:

your battery has gone flat from lack of charge from altenator, or battery not connected well enough

ive had that before

/quote]

this

quick fix get another battery, will get you home

Thanks guys. Just saw this but that\'s exactly what I did.

Got her in the driveway now safe and sound + battery is on charge. Will diagnose completely & fix tomorrow.

Thanks for your input lads, much appreciated :)

Starter solenoid if the battery is good and it just ticks.

Though doesn\'t explain why it broke down that does sound like alternator. Could be a mix of issues, check all your connections earths, fuses etc.

Make sure contacts are clean.

Demon alternator connections?

Recent replacement alternator, make sure the belts tight. If it\'s still there ;)

When you get it going tomorrow put a multi meter on it and see what volts the Alt is putting out. If it seems fine (13-14v), give it a rev and make sure it doesn\'t go over 14.7v ish. If it goes higher your Alternators Voltage Regulator is stuffed, causes over charge (wonky dash lights, then fried battery).

Rosssub said:

Recent replacement alternator, make sure the belts tight. If it\'s still there ;)

When you get it going tomorrow put a multi meter on it and see what volts the Alt is putting out. If it seems fine (13-14v), give it a rev and make sure it doesn\'t go over 14.7v ish. If it goes higher your Alternators Voltage Regulator is stuffed, causes over charge (wonky dash lights, then fried battery).

yes probably the alternator. Also a good check is to look for AC voltage with the multimeter. If there is any voltage over 1/2 (half) a volt AC then its a dead one! Had a similar issue last year... Cheeeeepy,Chinese one...Lasted just over 8000k...GRRRR 36V ac detected!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Diagnosed as alternator not charging.

Due to it being replaced a week ago, is it more likely to be the connections as opposed to the actual alternator unit itself? They\'re showing their age but at the same time are fairly tight & clean.

Was the alt second hand or what?

Super simple to diagnose, just measure voltage at battery when off then when running.

Could be you got given a dud... the connection to it is pretty hard to not be secure - it has that big screw on fitting right?

Marky said:

Was the alt second hand or what?

Super simple to diagnose, just measure voltage at battery when off then when running.

Could be you got given a dud... the connection to it is pretty hard to not be secure - it has that big screw on fitting right?

Was brand new.

Was the stator. Pretty damn rare for it to happen to a brand new alt within 9 days apparently.

Cheers for all the help guys! :)

Roo said:

My money says dasko was the supplier

Unipoint stuff normally ok but their earlier stuff was shit. Lot of it still is but thats what happens when you buy from shitty suppliers and market it as a premium product. A lot of ignition is genuine just bought in quantity like pans etc do. Good luck shaking the bad rep tho its everywhere. Trust me on this I know dasko very well.