Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STi's vs Evos throughout the Versions.

subypower

dimin said:

Where the Evo 9 beats out the V9 though is grip and handling, the steering is more responsive, it doesnt understeer as bad, feels more nimble, in my opinion. Havent driven far in it yet but thats my first impression so far. Dont get me wrong though I found the V9 to be very good in the handling stakes, the best of all the Sti\'s Ive owned in fact. Just the Evo feels another step up thanks to the AYC trickery, etc.

Through the generations, I think both breeds have their pros and cons, both are excellent performance cars !

Just the fact that the engine is mounted transversally between the front wheels will account for sharper handling. The basic layout of the boxer with the weight of the engine in front of the wheels is Subaru\'s Achilles heel. They make it work well but it\'ll never work as well and always be that tad bit understeerey. Guess they\'re spent too much time hanging out with Porsche.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Porsche\'s elec steering but the BRZ/GT86 system feels awesome. Subaru\'s steering was often too light and vague and Toyota\'s often felt like it was using old rubber bands. But, between the two of them they have nailed the elec system on the new car and it\'s direct, perfectly weighted, "feels" connected and lively.

Now if Subaru could borrow some of Porche\'s active mount technology to help tame that under steer.

All depends on what you want, id pick stis over evos for purely unmodified road cars, for cars with decent engine mods evo over sti up to ver 8 from then on pretty even. Evo has more power potential on the standard hardware, sti is much more user friendly out of the box

Here\'s my 2 cents having owned a stock Evo 2 GSR for 10 years. I had friends with WRX & STi\'s of similar vintage which I got to drive extensively so had good opportunity for compro and out of the box the Evo was the better performance car.

Key highlights, less understeer, quicker acceleration from standing, far less lag, quicker steering rack, sweeter gearbox. Easier to induce oversteer and 4wd drifts on the evo - more playful. Acceleration over 100km wasn\'t better though, perhaps a function of gearing and the turbo setup. Obviously once you start modding comparos become a little pointless.

Reliability I\'d give to the WRX, the evo was generally pretty bullet proof in that you could thrash it all day without something breaking but things did seem to wear out quicker (is that a contradiction?)

Interior fairly average but on par for its day. But where the Evo kicked the WRX was that GSR spec came with Recaro\'s as standard (the absolute best seats I\'ve ever sat in), the steering wheel didn\'t come from a bus and I reckon overall quality was slightly better than the Soob. The soob was definitely more refined. Doing your own servicing was obviously much easier on the Evo (sparkplugs anyone?). Today I\'d buy an STi hatch over an evo10 just cos they look better...

mitSUBishi-guy said:

Here\'s my 2 cents having owned a stock Evo 2 GSR for 10 years. I had friends with WRX & STi\'s of similar vintage which I got to drive extensively so had good opportunity for compro and out of the box the Evo was the better performance car.

Key highlights, less understeer, quicker acceleration from standing, far less lag, quicker steering rack, sweeter gearbox. Easier to induce oversteer and 4wd drifts on the evo - more playful. Acceleration over 100km wasn\'t better though, perhaps a function of gearing and the turbo setup. Obviously once you start modding comparos become a little pointless.

Reliability I\'d give to the WRX, the evo was generally pretty bullet proof in that you could thrash it all day without something breaking but things did seem to wear out quicker (is that a contradiction?)

Interior fairly average but on par for its day. But where the Evo kicked the WRX was that GSR spec came with Recaro\'s as standard (the absolute best seats I\'ve ever sat in), the steering wheel didn\'t come from a bus and I reckon overall quality was slightly better than the Soob. The soob was definitely more refined. Doing your own servicing was obviously much easier on the Evo (sparkplugs anyone?). Today I\'d buy an STi hatch over an evo10 just cos they look better...

Spark plugs on sub are not the mission everyone says they are. Probably takes more time on an evo coz they have the plastic lead cover and thats 10 or so bolts...

evowrx']

[quote name='mitSUBishi-guy said:

Doing your own servicing was obviously much easier on the Evo (sparkplugs anyone?). Today I\'d buy an STi hatch over an evo10 just cos they look better...

/quote]

Spark plugs on sub are not the mission everyone says they are. Probably takes more time on an evo coz they have the plastic lead cover and thats 10 or so bolts...

Basic servicing may be easier but the next level up it\'s much worse on an evo. Rear suspension is a mess of arms, getting the box out to swap a clutch is a huge prick of a job etc etc.

But then we really shouldn\'t be buying cars with ease of big services in mind....

In terms of service its not to different, ive worked at both a mitsubishi amd subaru dealer, evo 456 gearboxes are easy, 123 isn\'t to bad but 789 are dogs of things as the transfer goes over the front sub frame, you have to really push the engine forward to get the box out. Anyone that says evo spark plugs take as long as a subaru are on some good shit, share some with me!. Also ayc isnt a driving aid, it helps prevent mid corner understeer. Such a good idea that audi have taken the concept and applied it to rs models with the optional sports diff. Rs4s go sideways in the wet haha

Err, yeah, how can something that actively adjusts rear wheel torque to reduce understeer, not be a driving aid?

Here\'s a list of things on a car that could conceivably termed driving aids:

Wheels, Brakes, Bucket Seat, Engine, Gearbox, Computers that control the rear torque.

Here\'s a list of things on a car that can not be called driving aids:

Stereo, Fluffy Dice, Rear Seats, Spare Wheel, Glove box.

A aid is something that actively overrides the drivers input, usually to keep the car from yawing or sliding. your actions dictate what ayc does, not the other way around. Vdc, traction control, abs, ebd are aids, would you consider dccd an aid?

I could do spark plugs on my EVO in less than 10 minutes.. There is no way in hell I could do that on my B4.

It took me 10 minutes just to change one of the rear coils on the bastard.

This is an age old argument and both brands have certain aspects that appeal to differenet people. I love driving them both but have always felt that the Mitsi was a stronger car mechanically.

All Im saying is if youre bitching about doing plugs on a sub you shouldnt work on your own cars. Helps when you work out exactly what tools you need. Ive seen many workshops quote 2 hours to change plugs and seen some weird ways of doing it but you dont even need to jack the engine.

I think the point is its a bastard of a job on most *stock* subarus where you need to pull out batteries, airbox and whatever else, compared to just unbolting a coil on a lancer or almost any other car

Any car related job is as easy as you have experience on it. Im sure if asked most mechanics the time to do sparkplugs on a legnum they\'d saying 3 hours, but I can do it in 10 or 15 mins simply cause ive done it so often, ditto for guys who can swap a clutch out between races when its a full weekend job for most (and a million other jobs)

I see an evo gearbox as far simpler than a subaru one simply cause ive replaced a dozen of them, same goes back the other way

I do lol at how people go on about how the subaru is the more refined car /evo is harder edged, 90% of the guys on here immediately ruin that refined aspect with big exhausts and stiff suspension anyway so its not reeeeally a benefit so to speak

Bit like that debate about bc vs gc, you can argue technical points all day but end of the day people will still get swayed by emotion and opinion regardless

Roo said:

I could do plugs on my old sti in under 5min

I get sick of the plugs argument, not like you need to pull them out every day lol?

Starion 87 is a mechanic, it took 10mins to do a rear coil be5, im a subaru dealer mechanic, even the easiest ej plug set takes 10mins. If you can actually do the full set open bonnet to close bonnet in 5mins you should open your own shop

loner said:

Manual DCCD no. DCCD that monitors what the car is doing, and makes changes accordingly, yes.

ABS is no different to AYC or auto/programmed DCCD to my mind.

So a gearbox can be a driving aid, but dccd isnt as long as its lock up clutch is at a set duty controlled by the thumb wheel?