Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gc vs bc

Gator

boon']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Do you actually know the kerb weight of each vehicle?

/quote]

From a quick dig around the internets, it\'s around 200kg in the Impreza\'s favour.

Perhaps you should look through official Subaru brochures.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC5RA']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Do you actually know the kerb weight of each vehicle?

/quote]

From a quick dig around the internets, it\'s around 200kg in the Impreza\'s favour.

Perhaps you should look through official Subaru brochures.

perhaps you could ... you asked the question :D

id rather a bc as a road car but thats just me

rex-leggy']

[quote name='rex-leggy said:

perhaps you could ... you asked the question :D

/quote]

It was rhetorical.

my bad hard to pick that up with text :P

Fair enough, point is the weight difference is hardly a yawning chasm.

Anyway, Marky hit the nail.

I\'d buy a tidy v4 ish sti or even a wrx ra around the same age and keep it pretty stock. It took far too many dollars and hours to make my bc as fun as my parents v2 wrx ra that they had at the same time.

And on the weight argument, mine barely breaks through 1300kg with me and fuel in it. No side intrusion and factory bracing/crumple structures to weigh it down....

I\'ve driven and owned 3 early wrx\'s and a bg legacy. Happy to say the bc legacy I have now is my preference. But all my wrx were cheap as chips thrashed to bits and worse when I sold them haha. I think it really would come down to the age and condition of either car. A mint bc will out perform a thrashed and trashed wrx especially if it\'s had work done to the suspension...

Not saying I\'m converted but I wouldn\'t buy a gc unless it was v5/6. V3 would make the best track hack if I was going down that road. Even those early bug eye STI are getting cheap nowdays .. But you still look like a dick driving one so there\'s that.

A 30 sec trademe search theres a shitload of wrxs under 5k, half are boganed up and half are untouched stockers

Kms are reasonable too

If it were me, id take a newer car... but thats just me. If you want an old bc you can do better than that one, just keep an eye out

Hell if you want a more comfy cruiser than a wrx maybe a bd converted to single could be an option?

When looking at a bc, check the bottom of the rear window for rust. Especially if the spoiler has been removed. The rust starts along the bottom of the window where the trim is screwed to the body and also starts where the rubber bumpers on the boot lifting arms hit underneath the parcel shelf.

Not difficult to fix but not super cheap either. Some chassis\'s get it and some don\'t.

If it\'s got rust, it\'ll leak into the boot once it starts getting bad and eventually it\'s a wof fail once it gets near the seatbelt mounts.

Also, suspension bushes will change the character of the car from skanky to tight as.

Koom said:

When looking at a bc, check the bottom of the rear window for rust. Especially if the spoiler has been removed. The rust starts along the bottom of the window where the trim is screwed to the body and also starts where the rubber bumpers on the boot lifting arms hit underneath the parcel shelf.

Not difficult to fix but not super cheap either. Some chassis\'s get it and some don\'t.

If it\'s got rust, it\'ll leak into the boot once it starts getting bad and eventually it\'s a wof fail once it gets near the seatbelt mounts.

Also, suspension bushes will change the character of the car from skanky to tight as.

This is right on the money. If you\'re going BC head over to dirtyole bc and start a new topic they\'ll help you out. An in reply to that trademe ad keep looking. Much better out there at a much more reasonable price if you don\'t mind waiting a month or 2... Picked up mine for just over $1000 and it is in similar shape. Spent about another 2500 on it since then but it full twisted with computer system and intercooler ect ect... Just to give you an idea of what they\'re worth.

An RS will goes reasonably well if you put a v4 sti into it, but as mentioned they bc5 is getting abit old now. The weight of a gc vs a bc is reason alone to go for the wrx. Along with better seats, better safety features there really is no choice but the wrx.

But.... saying all that it really does depend on what you plan to do with it. There are plenty of nice RS out there. My advice is test drive as many as you can, and if you can get a pre purchase inspection.

In my experience both cars have their benefits. I found a GC8 to be more nimble, but also more likely to swap ends on me on gravel. Weight is neither here nor there in a road car, only really relevant when you are pushing the car hard - ie track, rally or sprint etc.

I once managed to come 2nd in a national tarmac rally in a Legacy (nothing to do with skill, just a reliable car back then). Third was also a Legacy. So they have ability if you want to race them, just expect to be starting off with a disadvantage over a lighter/more nimble GC8. Marty Smith has done very well at beating a variety of Evo\'s and WRX\'s on gravel over the years in his Legacy, however it is a well setup car.

If all you want is a road car to enjoy, buy the car that fits your budget, makes you grin when you drive it and is in mechanically the best condition, then enjoy it. Who cares which is technically better, it doesn\'t matter when you aren\'t normally comparing it to the other car anyway does it?