Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Automated Rev Matching

By now alot of you would have heard of Nissan's new 370Z and it's automated rev matching or "throttle blip" on down shifting. For those who haven't heard of it, Nissan's new 370Z will automatically "blip" the throttle when you shift down...and this is in a standard manual gearbox! no fancy dual clutch setup or automatic setup! There are still three peddles for your feet to tap dance on and an ordinary gearstick not paddles on the steering wheel.

Well I started to do some research on applying this to my Legacy, which I doubt I'll do to this car but maybe the next one, and to my surprise I found a bunch of guys that have already done extensive setups for both DBW (Drive By Wire) and standard cable throttle setups. The forum is here: http://www.motec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=625&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=f8b8b369b3a168f4f2b0f08baf597fbf

Looks like alot of work to setup correctly but at least it can be done.

If only it was easy to do without all that electronic trickery...... Oh wait. It is.

Best sounding gear change I've heard was my father in laws E36 M3 with the SMG box and AC Schnitzer exhaust.

Um, ive been in the 370z and no it doesnt do it in the manual one it does it in the manual paddle. And it sounds phat. It also sounded phat when we were power sliding down the street in a straight line.... these things are nuts.

Swindog said:

Um, ive been in the 370z and no it doesnt do it in the manual one it does it in the manual paddle.

According to several reputable sources, including Nissan themselves, it does.

http://www.nissanusa.com/370z/#/features/2/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH5ZyuVWbk @ 3:55

@ 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwr-wi-sOKU @ 1:50

Guest loren
 Glen said:

If only it was easy to do without all that electronic trickery...... Oh wait. It is.

easy when you are just cruising and trying to look cool... not easy when braking hard.

loren']

[quote name='Glen said:

/quote]

easy when you are just cruising and trying to look cool... not easy when braking hard.

I guess it depends on your pedal set up and foot size :)

Guest loren
 Glen']

[quote name='Glen said:

/quote]

I guess it depends on your pedal set up and foot size :)

yes, but more so, it's hard to regulate the pressure applied to the brake pedal and

blip a throttle when braking really hard. takes a lot of practise, and you can't really

practise on the road either.

Andrew NR']

[quote name='Swindog said:

Um, ive been in the 370z and no it doesnt do it in the manual one it does it in the manual paddle.

/quote]

According to several reputable sources, including Nissan themselves, it does.

http://www.nissanusa.com/370z/#/features/2/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH5ZyuVWbk @ 3:55

@ 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwr-wi-sOKU @ 1:50

Ill have a look but i tell you we were ringing the nuts off the manual one and it never did it but the auto/paddle shift manual did. In fact the paddle shift went harder and looser than the manual.

More controllable and wanted to go yet you had to push the manual.

I reckon you could buy a standard one and enter in the D1NZ and win in stock form. Its that good. Factory Rays Engineering wheels. Ill put up some pics tonight of them. There were 6. Unreal looking machine in the flesh.

Guest keltik

I find it fairly tricky but i DO have a massive automatic brake pedal. Just seems to suck that cars are doing more of the fun things automatically. Makes driving just that little bit more boring

Guest loren
 keltik said:

I find it fairly tricky but i DO have a massive automatic brake pedal. Just seems to suck that cars are doing more of the fun things automatically. Makes driving just that little bit more boring

yeah, and wait until self driving cars are on the market.

keltik said:

AGREED !

Granted it's useful in an automated/ dual-clutch manuals like VAG's DSG or BMW DCT but in a manual 3-pedal car it's just for posing wankers who can't drive properly.

:P

Andrew NR said:

By now alot of you would have heard of Nissan's new 370Z and it's automated rev matching or "throttle blip" on down shifting. For those who haven't heard of it, Nissan's new 370Z will automatically "blip" the throttle when you shift down...and this is in a standard manual gearbox! no fancy dual clutch setup or automatic setup! There are still three peddles for your feet to tap dance on and an ordinary gearstick not paddles on the steering wheel.

Well I started to do some research on applying this to my Legacy, which I doubt I'll do to this car but maybe the next one, and to my surprise I found a bunch of guys that have already done extensive setups for both DBW (Drive By Wire) and standard cable throttle setups. The forum is here: http://www.motec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=625&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=f8b8b369b3a168f4f2b0f08baf597fbf

Looks like alot of work to setup correctly but at least it can be done.

You are right but apparantly it was turned off when we went skidding. Somethig to do with power assists or something or other. My mates the nissan brand manager down here and it was the press cars we drove.

newsuba']

[quote name='keltik said:

/quote]

AGREED !

Granted it's useful in an automated/ dual-clutch manuals like VAG's DSG or BMW DCT but in a manual 3-pedal car it's just for posing wankers who can't drive properly.

:P

+1

I drove a merc AMG630 v12 supercharged that did the meanest double clutch and exhaust backfires when you lifted the gas! To have it on a nissan would be cool.

Now I'm going to read up on the electronic retrofit so my mrs doesn't keep destroying engine mounts on downshifts. ?

nzkaosnz']

or who have no synchro's :P

That would be a double-declutch, a different procedure to a downshift blip.

;)

[quote name='cpt kernow said:

I drove a merc AMG630 v12 supercharged that did the meanest double clutch and exhaust backfires when you lifted the gas! To have it on a nissan would be cool.

Now I'm going to read up on the electronic retrofit so my mrs doesn't keep destroying engine mounts on downshifts. ?

What model's that ?

Didn't know the SC V12's did the downshift blip.

Guest loren
 newsuba']

[quote name='nzkaosnz said:

or who have no synchro's :P

/quote]

That would be a double-declutch, a different procedure to a downshift blip.

;)

you still blip with a double de-clutch.

Guest keltik
 GC8E2DD said:

If you aren't double de-clutching, what is the blip for?

So you can engage the next gear more smoothly without having to drag the engine rpm up

I'm thinking on the new drive-by-wire Suuby's, you could make a mod which could automatically throttle blip on the downshift.

Would require some electronic trickery, but reckon it could work. You'd have to intercept the drive-by-wire servo mechanism which controls the linkage to the throttle-body and read RPM/speed to calculate how much RPM to blip, but it *could* work.

Just my thoughts anyway :)

keltik']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

If you aren't double de-clutching, what is the blip for?

/quote]

So you can engage the next gear more smoothly without having to drag the engine rpm up

Oh, so don't you actually want to double de-clutch then? Because without re-engaging the clutch in neutral before blipping you are aren't spinning up the input shaft.