• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loren
 RAYDEO']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

15psi snds about right for a stock classic sti

/quote]

what do you mean by "classic"

how long have you hanging around on here for ray? he means a GC8. my v6 STi was 1 bar stock boost.

RAYDEO']

/quote]

Yep yous have a classic...

Heck even my GTB is now nudging 10 years...

PS after doing all that other stuff, I still vote for the split fuel rail Ray!!!!!! ;D

• Admin
 subieboy']

/quote]

Yep yous have a classic...

Heck even my GTB is now nudging 10 years...

PS after doing all that other stuff, I still vote for the split fuel rail Ray!!!!!! ;D

wanna come over and do it for me?

v5 afms are cheap.

I had rebuild, car ran semi well, then started running bad again, new afm and all fixed :) $300 is cheap piece of mind, try finding a v3 afm :S

Koom - whats that about breather systems? what will not having one do?

Just if its breathing rather heavily due to track use and the vapour is routed back through the intake "could possibly maybe" cause issues by lowering the det resistance of the stuff going into the motor.

More of a long shot than anything really, especially if the motor has been rebuilt properly.

Maybe the fuel pumps on it's last legs?

Causes of det can include lean mixtures, and hight temps. Running lean will causes high temp also. Hight boost also helps things run lean and heats things up if you're maxing out your fueling.

I'd get a new filter and get someone to look at your fuel pump. Maybe upgrade it if you're planning on modding down the line.

Koom said:

Just if its breathing rather heavily due to track use and the vapour is routed back through the intake "could possibly maybe" cause issues by lowering the det resistance of the stuff going into the motor.

More of a long shot than anything really, especially if the motor has been rebuilt properly.

+1 Certainly does cause Detonation, but as stated usually heavily modified or tired engines will do this.

Both of which this is not.

Fuel pump is also a good idea; something to look at.

• Admin

have talked to a few people, first thing im going to do is invest in a "KnockLINK" aparently these are very good at detection det.

next on the list is a new fuel filter and pump... probibly a walbro 500HP on, then will gingerly hit the track and push the limites untill i find exactly where its detonating...

aparently this is the easiest way of sorting it and as i cant hear the det while driving the LED display of the "knockLINK" will help me...

thoughts?

I probably have everything you need to sort your problem or at least try diagnose it, I can check your AF ratio and also have the knockblock which is what is used when tuning to listen for detonation. I also have two good and near new afm's for your model, now that I am running a possumlink. I would recommend replacing fuel filter anyway though.

RAYDEO said:

have talked to a few people, first thing im going to do is invest in a "KnockLINK" aparently these are very good at detection det.

next on the list is a new fuel filter and pump... probibly a walbro 500HP on, then will gingerly hit the track and push the limites untill i find exactly where its detonating...

aparently this is the easiest way of sorting it and as i cant hear the det while driving the LED display of the "knockLINK" will help me...

thoughts?

To be honest, the Knocklink probably isn't going to help you much and is just going to be a waste of your money. You'd be better off taking it somewhere like NZEFI and getting them to put it on the dyno for an A/F ratio check. They also have a proper setup for listening to Det in headphones so they will be able to load the engine up and listen for the onset of any Det. They will also be pretty skilled at diagnosing what your issue may be and all up will probably cost you a similar amount to buying a KnockLink and then blowing your motor up again trying to find the Det while racing.

• Admin
 TURTLE said:

But the knocklink has some flashing LED's. It must be worth it.

hey im just going on what people like Stu Webber and the like are telling me.. while trying to keep what you guys are telling me in mind too...

Wanna check for det on the cheap? If you have some spare unwanted headphones, a small capacitor (0.47uF from tricky dickies), 2 pins, and a recording device you could just record the noise from your knock sensor input while giving it a good fang (reproducing the environment you think knock is happening). Put the recording up here for us to take a listen to. Of course if it is det this wont fix it..

• Admin
 99GTB said:

I have the link knockblock and Innovate LM-2, if you were wondering what I use.

yeah that would be great mate...

was thinking last night... the last owner said and i quote...

we used what ever fuel was cheap at the time

so assuming they didnt care about the car the probibly never changed the fuel filter eather...

150,000khs with crap fuel could be the reason for a buggered filter? and/or pump???

Guest loren
 RAYDEO said:

we used what ever fuel was cheap at the time

so assuming they didnt care about the car the probibly never changed the fuel filter eather...

150,000khs with crap fuel could be the reason for a buggered filter? and/or pump???

no. buggered engine maybe :)

Guest keltik

Crap fuel from where? The warehouse gas station? Running on 91 isnt going to clog your filter or break your pump. 150,000kms will wear things out however.

Check the voltage to the pump, then get your afr's checked.