• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Any ej15 engine mods

Kyleej15turbohelp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no experience with the EJ15 however you could de-cat and fit extractors. it'll be louder, and loose a little low end torque, but be more fun higher in the rev range. worked well on our DOHC NA EJ20

you didn't mention what year. arn't some of the newer 1.5's pretty trick? maybe i'm dreaming

more powerful without needing tune?

Get lighter wheels; lightweight panels- change to lighter brakes, doors. Cut back on the pies. really the best way to get more go from an N/A without tuning or modifying ( hi-comp build with massive cams ftw-if you wanna stay N/A) is to reduce weight and get better tyres. maybe change the exhaust system to something fully titanium/ stainless something really light.

• Admin
 94 Leone said:
more powerful without needing tune?

Get lighter wheels; lightweight panels- change to lighter brakes, doors. Cut back on the pies. really the best way to get more go from an N/A without tuning or modifying ( hi-comp build with massive cams ftw-if you wanna stay N/A) is to reduce weight and get better tyres. maybe change the exhaust system to something fully titanium/ stainless something really light.

Instead of spending HEAPS (lightweight doors, are you high?) on polishing a turd, keep it as an unmolested daily that won't attract crims or the po-po, then wait until you've got the coin to buy something cool.

Not to be a downer on it but there is nothing less cool than a poverty-spec car that wishes and pretends it wasn't one.

I don't have a link, but give Crowesport (CHCH) a call. They fitted ours and would know about any option for 1.5L

converting to DOHC sounds like an interesting idea HOWEVER there is more to it than just slapping on some heads. To be honest any increase would be marginal without a tune, and a wasted effort. Oscar in DN just DOHC'd a 2.2L for fun but he had to get specific headgaskets from the states and I'm not sure it was worthwhile in the end. Have to ask him.

I'm not even sure any DOHC head would physically fit an ej15

• Admin

Ok, ok, I will put it a little more plainly.

I do not want to be the down-buzz guy.

We get it, you have got your first car (and it's actually not a terrible first car at all, I'd have been stoked with it) and you're pretty excited about it.

And you're super keen to get your hands dirty and make it hektikly rapid. Sure, why not.

The problem is that it is fundamentally a poverty-pack grocery-getter. Yes, you could probably find a way to mangle a bunch of EJ20 parts onto it, blah blah, but at the end of the day it would still be a 1.5 and with the amount of money you had spent on it you probably could have bought an STI and had 100 more horsepower without lifting a finger.

Also for insurance sake, please bear in mind that as soon as mainstream insurers get a whiff of modification they will either charge the moon or not cover you. You can't insure a car as a 1.5L, chuck a 2L turbo donk in it and hope the insurance company won't notice, so the whole "I'm young and can't insure a turbo" is completely null and void anyway.

Seriously, get a quote to do pretty much anything to your motor - say, mush some DOHC heads on it - and you'll see that every single time the cheapest option is to buy a EJ20T (EJ205 in this case) and chuck it in. But then to get a cert you would need WRX brakes and a whole lot of other parts - by the time you've got a cert, it's probably cost you more than an STI would have and it would still just be a mongrel 1.5.

Do some little things to it that you'll enjoy - maybe get some WRX seats (as I assume it has plain old passenger car style seats) and put a decent stereo in it. That'll be enough to make it cooler than 99% of your mates cars and it'll be nice to drive around in.

But, much as I hate to say it, you may as well abandon any idea of ever getting more than about 100hp out of the motor that's in it. Maybe put a free-flowing filter on it so it makes a bit more doorpy noise but that's about it.

Save your money, spend it on petrol driving it cool places and learning how not to crash a 100hp car before you try not to crash a 300hp car.

I remember in my younger years when I wanted to slap a turbo on dads 2L NA

it sounds like a simple plan until you understand why it isn't easy/worthwhile/economic. so really there's no harm discussing these things

EDIT ok I just read the EJ15+T thread.. yeah.. nahh.. lol

Edited by kamineko

• Admin
 Kyleej15turbohelp said:
And yea I think my mechanic said it has 115hp after putting the exhaust and filter on but that's a prediction he said he dignity felt some more kick from it after the test drive before the upgrades and it only cost me 500$ So that's pretty good and it's a lot quicker then most 1500s

"Goes hard for a 1.5"

Sorry, I just had to :P

• Admin
 Kyleej15turbohelp said:
Well you drive a this and compare it to other 1500s ??

No need to get defensive, it's just a common sort of thing you see on pages like Hustle Live when people are trying to make a slow car sound fast.

But to answer your question, anything with a D15B VTEC will drive circles around it.