Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

OBD2 plug doowopthingymawho

Ok I wanna get a plug not necessarily for tuning purposes (but I will try get amongst that at some stage) but for diagnostics and Logging and to learn more.

So where do I buy one from that is guaranteed to work? I have heard some stories and seen some that worked only in certain models or only for logging and not for diagnostics.

So I'm in the frame of mind do it once do it right the whole right tool for the right job kinda thing

chulozumo said:
Following this.

Also, whats apps are good/compatible for andrioid Phone/tablet? wouldn't mind a cheeky set of gauges through em

On my last car I had a Bluetooth ODB2 reader with the Torque app. It was less than $15 if i remember correctly. You could set up what gauges and read outs you wanted on each page. The guages were pretty good and you could change the look of them as well as colour and backgrounds.

kwi_fozze said:
Unfortunately that torque app only works with international spec cars, not jdm imports....

Tbh, save yourself spending the cash twice, just get a tactrix cable

I brought a ~$6 OBDII dongle from Aliexpress and it work fine with my JDM 2011 Sti and the Torque App. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Hottest-ELM-327-V1-5-Interface-Works-On-Android-Torque-Elm327-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBD-II/511196209.html

I also just purchased a Tractx from Aliexpress, only last night ~$60 will have to let you know the quality of that later. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good-price-Tactrix-Openport-2-0-ECUFLASH-Tactrix-Openport-2-0-ECU-Chip-Tunning-Free-Shipping/32323156603.html

• 2 weeks later...

i purchased a bluetooth elm327 obd2 adaptor off trademe, my android device can see and i put the code 1234 in, shows obd2 as a paired device but then torque cant connect to it, could this because im using the free version of the app or could i have a faulty device,

RAYDEO said:
Yup, even when the car is off as far as I know

hmm did ya have to change any settings

just connect to obd through bt, then go into torque and select the obd2 bt adaptor and should be away all fine right, i have a 99 be5 n/a,,a/t

• Admin

Vaguely remember there being something about rev c and older not supporting those kind of dongles. Looked into it when i had my rev c and the story was they had the obd2 socket under the dash but it wasn't a full obd2 supported system so certain things could be done but not most.

That was the reason i went for a cable adaptor to laptop rather than bluetooth one. It supported obd and obd2 so it worked fine.

No problem. I was a bit bummed when I went to try it myself only to find out my particular version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 doesn't support USB OTG, though it is supposed to and seems to if it's the S2 that was sold by any other cellular carrier. I guess it's time for a new phone :)

I'm not sure what you mean by generic OBD2, but from the hardware page on his site:

Source your own Tactrix OP 2.0 or KKL cable, along with a USB/OTG adapter for your Android device

Works great for permanent tablet installations

You can always purchase the Bluetooth adapter later if you decide to go wireless

Please note that this is a DIY option and has the following limitations:

-Not all Android devices support USB/OTG adapters - you can check your device with free app "OTG?"

-Not all KKL cables work properly with Subarus