Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Testing EGBP

Andy_Mac

• Admin

By 2:1 you're meaning backpressure will be essentially half the boost pressure, or is it the other way around? This is one area i've never really put any research into in the past so pretty green on the whole idea of it :/

So derived from AFM readings mines getting just under 32lb/min.

Alright well in that case i might as well just take off the downpipe and headers and get a new port welded into both and go from there. Its alot easier for me to just drop parts in than taking the car in since its not driven daily.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw u wrote post turbo and assumed u wrote the wrong word . U wont be able to read the pressure post turbo on a boost gauge . Need a manometer or somethin .

Have u really never seen exhaust pressure lower than booat in our realm ?im not arguing I just figured it was achievable . I might check mine . Vf22 . 197kw on 11 psi boost .

A member once measured 3psi across a specific resonator so yep possible to measure on boost guage if it doesnt show thats mint.

Our realm being clubsub noone on here has a dedicate drag car with that bigger hot side.

Why only 11psi?

• Admin

Yea as I said, only really even started looking into this stuff a few days ago so pretty clueless right now. I know the obvious one to do is pre turbo but with the number of people saying i've got to go for a much bigger exhaust to get more power i'm intrigued to see what results the stock one gets.

Got a couple of digital differential pressure sensors at work that'd probably do the job, apparently they're calibrated to be accurate at single digit kpa values so should pick up almost anything. Guessing just one side tucked up somewhere to get atmospheric pressure and the other in the gas flow? Thats how i'd do it atleast

Edited by Andy_Mac

• Admin

Basically a gauge with two hoses/vac hoses. One positive, one negative. Doesn't particularily matter for digital ones what direction they go but you'd usually have the positive side as the side expected to have the higher positive pressure.

We use them for checking pressure drops across filter banks and condensers/evaps for fan efficiencies

Edited by Andy_Mac

• Admin

Measures the difference between the two sides, not sure how the digital ones calculate it though. Maybe just two highly sensitive pressure sensors.

If one has no movement, pushing/pulling, then it is essentially just measuring the pressure the one side see's and can typically be more sensitive towards small changes than other methods.

Say if you hooked both sides up to the intake manifold it would always in theory read zero since its only picking up the difference between the two, regardless of what pressure is being applied to both sides.

Thats the basic method they use to calculate the pressure difference

• Admin

Thinking those two spots for getting the ports welded into. The twinscroll headers are extremely small so not sure how welding a full size bung onto one will work out. With my rather crude measurements the external diameter is about 1.5" for each on the headers just before the uppipe flange.

And short of going to the other side of the cat chamber thats seems to be the only spot it'll fit on the downpipe since the stock heatshield gets in the way of the opposite side of it. Don't think there's any chance it'd mess up the o2 sensor readings at all

E65919F3-AE55-43F3-8EFD-BF2C5DC1F98C_zps

3FD43FDD-7184-42B5-9679-7B9FDCAFF8D3_zps

• Admin

Yea true. Well i'll see what the exhaust guys have sitting around.

None of the places i've been to have any plugs for metric size threads and claim no one else will off the shelf either so thinking about just seeing if the guys i'm taking it to have plugs and i'll just drill a hole through them and easy flow some copper to it.

• Admin

Sweet, i'll give them a go. Could have been speaking chinese and the Repco guys would have had no less of a clue what I was on about.

Depending on how they've joined it exhaust temps could be an issue too, i'm thinking. The one you showed looks like its just copper brazed to brass. Unless they have used some strange composition silfos i haven't come across yet then the exhaust temp at full noise will surely be within the melting range of it.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Sweet, i'll give them a go. Could have been speaking chinese and the Repco guys would have had no less of a clue what I was on about.

Depending on how they've joined it exhaust temps could be an issue to i'm thinking. The one you showed looks like its just copper brazed to brass. Unless they have used some strange composition silfos i haven't come across yet then the exhaust temp at full noise will surely be within the melting range of it.

Worked on mine for over an hour before coming apart. Didnt leak just pulled out of socket.