Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

22B replica? has anyone seen or attempted?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy the 22b wide body replica kits from England. Cant remember the name though. I looked at doing a Type R with the kit and spacers ages ago but decided id do it down the track instead.

It is HUGELY expensive to do. Especially if you want to space the arse end.

It seems to me that most of the fibre glass replica parts on close scrutiny are actually not exact 22 part acurate... The aerosim place seems to make the best match...

I rang subaru the other day and bumper and front guards (authentic 22B) are around $10000NZD... ouch!

If anyone knows of a more EXACT replica design then post some links!

stira said:

I reckon with the cost of buying a decent type r and all the bits to make it a 22b, you would be able to buy the real thing. Waste of money in my opinion.

could start with a retna would be much cheaper chassis ...

Have been asked before if my r was a 22b by a 40year old + was suprised he even knew of such a thing lol

nt_a_foz said:

what i meant was i was suprised some one of that generation knew what a 22b was.

all good, my old man 65+ knows what a 22b is.

he reads the old performance cars i have lying around when he comes over though.

Heh, you have to remember that a 40 year old was only 29 when the 22b came out. I like the 22b, but I see it as a mildly worked Type R that gives a nod to the successes of Subaru in the WRC at the time - which was a car homologated on the Type R chassis. It is a collectors car. Besides, you can buy all the actual S5/ S6 parts and build an actual late nineties WRC car (which would be totally road legal) ... I'd love to know how much it would cost to make a proper 22b replica versus an old WRC car. My guess is that body-wise there wouldn't be a lot in it - assuming you were doing proper rear guard replacement and not just icecream container glue ons.

Guest boostin
 newsuba']

[quote name='boostin said:

That one used to be a 4 door. Check out the join in the rear of the trim at the back lower corner of the rear side window.

/quote]

Sharp eyes !

;)

Also the length of the doors and the proportions of the windows are all wrong.

Fail !

:P

It helps that I disconnected the rear window motors on it a couple of years back!! ;D

better to buy the real thing. i have to agree im 43 and i brought my 22B as it was my dream car back in 1998.

As far as young people go ive had 22B out and young people just think its a normal wrx typer.

Its only people who followed subaru when the gc8 was released that truely know the difference.

well I wont be buying the real thing as I dont have a spare 100K but I do have a spare 10 and already own a track settup retena coupe...

It is however im finding difficult to get "exact" replica parts, most people to the WRC wide body parts with only a few doing something 'very similar' to a 22B.

Possum in auckland qoted over 10k for parts alone when you can have them shipped from the UK for 3k!!!!

anyway ill keep doing my research till Im happy with the replica quality parts that will do it.

the cheapest 22B ive seen is on trademe 3/400 and he wants 49k done 70k and its an import not nz new. You cant import a 22B OUT OF JAPAN ANY MORE AS IT DOESNT COMPLY TO NZ STANDARDS. YOU NOW HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE 20YR RULE and then i doubt you be able to find one as most of them have been imported into the UK.

there were only 5 22B SOLD NZ NEW. and i have the last one sold 395/400.

Some of the guys on this forum need to get their facts right before spouting off.

cornf3 said:

the cheapest 22B ive seen is on trademe 3/400 and he wants 49k done 70k and its an import not nz new. You cant import a 22B OUT OF JAPAN ANY MORE AS IT DOESNT COMPLY TO NZ STANDARDS. YOU NOW HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE 20YR RULE and then i doubt you be able to find one as most of them have been imported into the UK.

there were only 5 22B SOLD NZ NEW. and i have the last one sold 395/400.

Some of the guys on this forum need to get their facts right before spouting off.

Just because it says 49k doesnt mean thats what it would sell for, I bet he hasnt had an offer over 30k.

ive talked to him and he doesnt actually want to sell it, its his wife thats making him sell it. He wont take any less than asking price.

REMEMBER a car is only worth what a buyer and seller agree upon. i doubt a 22B will ever be owned by a young person as most 22b owners are 40+ and usually money is no object. A YOUNG PERSON WILL NEVER BE INSURED WITH A 22B.