Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track hack/project car build cost?

SpeedySub

1 minute ago, Munkvy said:

To be honest if your budget is only $6k. Buy a Honda.

Yes, you will have to adjust to no boost and may feel inadequate... But you will have much more reliability, and happiness when driving hard and beating WRX's.

Don't know if I could do Honda! I feel inadequate enough as it isO.o

The idea is over the next year or 2 I will slowly work on it to a entry level type track car, but start with pretty stock and do some autocross events. At this point Im not worried about beating people as I won't be entering actual races till further down the track.

I have become a bit of a Subaru fanboy and want  to stick with the brand.

I know there are better and possibly cheaper trackday cars out there for sale.

• General Member
1 hour ago, loner said:

How are you going to accomplish that?

Use oem Belts and seats for the odd fun Playday and as assumed Paddock and gravel Stuff

so NOT a race car but yea a Track hack / project car

If I wanna get back into racing a new set of belts in the Avenger & its a RSCup car aka 2k cup

Get a bc legacy, I know that everyone will say gc body is better but they are seriously underrated cars. 

They are dirt cheap generally which leaves cash for serious upgrades(link/engine/suspension)

The mods are cheap and simple for someone learning out and offer great bang for buck (4pots,alloy arms,sway bars,shocks ect)

They are basically a gc8 so everything bolts up and after market parts are readily available 

They are easy to tidy up by doing little things(replacing broken trim/door cards ect)

They have very strong factory engine base (ej20g CDB, although the heads don't flow high boost but you shouldn't need that for starters and there are head  swap options like ej20k)

They are mostly very easy to diagnose and fix

They are a future classic in stockish condition so they won't depreciate like a wrx(ra/sti being exception sort of)

They are much better to drive than a sti wagon or a legacy wagon even in stock form (trust me I've owned a few of both and they don't even compare)

They are very rewarding cars and I guarantee you will fall in love with it!

If you are even remotely keen you should go for a test drive in one because they are cool wee cars.

This all coming from a die hard wrx fan who still owns a wrx coupe build. 

You could pick one up from anything like $1000-5000 in varying conditions of course which leaves a good budget for repairs and mods. 

P.S did someone really suggest you get a honda? GTFO here lol!

• Like 1

From what ive seen people think bc are worth gc money these days. The gc/gf parts are easier to find and chassis arent rusty. The only bc worth money are the rs-ra everything else has little value unless you find a specific buyer who likes what he sees. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

They are heavier and have a longer wheelbase as well so not as agile. The Honda suggestion was probably the most sensible thing said in this whole thread... but racing is not sensible and people are not sensible when it comes to cars.

Edited by loner
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, evowrx said:

From what ive seen people think bc are worth gc money these days. The gc/gf parts are easier to find and chassis arent rusty. The only bc worth money are the rs-ra everything else has little value unless you find a specific buyer who likes what he sees. Just my opinion.

Yea true some of the tidier ones are a little unrealistic though. Imo a stock one for 1500-3500 is pretty reasonable depending on condition, less for one with a stuffed engine or the likes. I see cheap ones all the time. Heck saw a non turbo spec one in immaculate condition for $650, grab a turbo wreck and swap some bits over with a refreshed engine/suspension/link for under 6.5k easy... Brilliant track car with $$ to spare for maintenance. 
Also True have seen a few with rust issue, the gc stuff gets it too though so really just something to look out for in general. The later model stuff is going to be much better for rust prevention than any older car but I wouldn't say rust was a massive issue with the average bc. Rust free bc's do exist and aren't uncommon by any means(they rust in the same places as gc guards and sills).

Bar an RA or Shim under STI, most gc have the same value... Gc are definitely easier to find though.

I love the RSRA but they're kinda meh spec wise, still hydraulic heads and 5speed r160, no 4 pots ect. Just a badge/novelty from a fast/track car perspective. RSRA will hold it's value as any RA spec subaru car would. But you're basically paying 2-3k more for the same car.

1 hour ago, loner said:

They are heavier and have a longer wheelbase as well so not as agile. The Honda suggestion was probably the most sensible thing said in this whole thread... but racing is not sensible and people are not sensible when it comes to cars.

Barely heavier tho, and certainly just as agile. They really have a nice balance as a car. It's hard to explain over a forum lol. I've driven and owned both.  But yea the agreement is for a competitive full race/rally car you go with the GC because they come out the factory with better bits and perform better in respect to serious competition (talking r180 spec cars), but for a basic track car/hack the BC is definitely a legitimate candidate as any gc would be. Assuming that you're happy to do the work to get it updated to STI spec they perform as you would expect of an STI spec car. 

22 hours ago, slystiguy said:

Get a bc legacy, I know that everyone will say gc body is better but they are seriously underrated cars. 

They are dirt cheap generally which leaves cash for serious upgrades(link/engine/suspension)

P.S did someone really suggest you get a honda? GTFO here lol!

So you laugh at me saying get a cheap, reliable car. And in the same paragraph suggest he buy the car that is the oldest and has the worst engine/drivetrain combo in the Subaru range?

Having raced a caged BC5 and 3x caged GC/F8s, the BC5 is more stable on gravel, but definitely more of a boat in general. And harder to find in tidy condition as generally everything is flogged to hell. The BC5 also comes with far worse brakes, suspension and wheels than say a V3/4 STi which is probably the best value for money Subaru option.

If you are serious about racing, Honda is the value for money option. Subaru is the heart option. But your heart will bleed when you start to push the car and things go sour...

• Like 1

V3/4 sti is definitely best bang for buck. Very competitive in club sport and a lot of fun on a sunday drive. Then when you want more power you just link/exhaust and 3k later you have 200-220wkw and its still safe as a church. Also means you can spend time driving it rather than building it buying brakes, struts etc then fitting them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Just dont pay the money until youve checked it out.

I've had someone from here take it for a test drive.they didn't seem to have any issues with it mechanically wise, will talk with the guy tomorrow about checking it out in person first. 

1 hour ago, SpeedySub said:

I've had someone from here take it for a test drive.they didn't seem to have any issues with it mechanically wise, will talk with the guy tomorrow about checking it out in person first. 

Some guy from here taking it for a test drive means nothing. Get a comprehensive mechanical check. Cars can go very well even when they are rooted.

Edited by loner
  • Like 1

I have had a night to think about it, looks like I could be spending a lot of money on this car before I even work on it, i.e mechanical check, flying to Rotorua, ferry and petrol.

Im thinking I might have had a litlle bit of a rush of blood to the head, and wanted to buy something straight away. It would be a good project, but maybe not for me at this point

7 minutes ago, AdamOst said:

I sold my mildly modified v6 sti daily/track car and bought an mx5, no regrets, especially not financially :P 

Especially now with the boosted one.

Did think of that, but need to fit 4 people in the weekends if needed.

Buy 2? lol. I have my 3.0r legacy for weekend passenger duties, though my partner has driven it more times in the 6 weeks shes had it, than the last 6 months ive had it.

I sold my sti for 10k, then bought the first mx5 and legacy for a little over that.

Ive just brought my outback, and want to keep that as tidy as possible and keep it as my grown up car, and one that looks professional for site visits, client meetings etc. (and is much better for my partner who needs something comfy to travel in at the moment). I don't want my dogs in it messing it up, so a weekend wagon I can take to Track days, autocross, hill climb events or throw the dogs in the back and go for a spirited drive somewhere.