Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track hack/project car build cost?

SpeedySub

11 minutes ago, boon said:

Devil's advocate: That's a shitload of money to spend on a flogged-out RA.

Everything in the suspension will be rooted.

Even with the rebuild of engine and gearbox all the various stuff that attaches to them will probably also be rooted.

Theres always one to poop on my parade! O.o

It was a thought I did have, but was brushed aside by all the other thoughts of having a new car!

Is there any benefit of buying it being a Ltd RA? is it more rare than a standard RA? I don't know the ins and outs of the STIs and such.

20 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

And at the end of October (hopefully) I'll have a PBMS sump for sale if you're interested ;]

Need to buy a car first!:P

Could add it to the list of bits to buy, depends on how much  I spend on the car, and how much I have left over. Still want to upgrade the surf board as well as buy the car.

Edited by SpeedySub
Need to learn to spell and proof read!

possibility i may go and have a look at this car out of interest. Not sure that i would end up buying it tho cos i don"t really need two cars. If kept mint i can"t see it going down in value. 

4 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

It was a thought I did have, but was brushed aside by all the other thoughts of having a new car!

Is there any benefit of buying it being a Ltd RA? is it more rare than a standard RA? I don't know the ins and outs of the STIs and such.

just as to boons comment about another bits being stuffed. That comes down to how the cars been cared for not totally how many km's it has done. oh and also try find a GC8 that isn't worn out?!?! i mean if you wanna be fussy, in all reality what bushes don't need replacing on any GC8, if anything they are 16yrs old so even if they have been in the shed they would be a little bit brittle etc. the fact is the car won't just fall to bits for no reason.

you would pay $5500 for a standard STI these days, for an extra $1000 this ra is a far better car! 

• Like 1

I don't trust the factory ecu's, is it just me or?

I wouldn't look at any without a tunable ecu unless they are fully stock mod wise. And even then a link and an array of sensors would be one of the first things in my track car budget.

and are you limited to wrx's? Some cheap legacy's around but i'd be in two minds about starting with a less than ideal platform depending on how far you are going to take it in terms of a track car.

My old b4 went for something like 3.8 on trade me last month - single turbo, walbro, link g4, adjustable's, bride seats, refreshed bearings & rings. Add a sump, sway bars and a diet and it would have been a good track car.

I thought this would be a bit easier. I was going to go for a legacy wagon, but then thought about it and decided to go for a WRX wagon, then saw the RA and thought it might be a good project. The idea would be to build the car up to a decent track day car, but also a fun weekend driver. I can swing on a wrench not to bad, but the electrical/ecu side is not my strong point.

To be honest Im not that knowledgeable on the Turbo engines. Hence the reason to buy something and build it up and learn.

Im still keen on a white wagon down south that is completely stock and looks like it would make a project car (might be able to get cheaper than asking price).

I may be rushing into buying a car too, I think this weekend I might have to put a list together of what I want out of the car and what I want to do to it and time frames for doing things.

When the misses said about buying a new car I think all the blood rushed to my head and the impulse to buy something kicked in and commonsense may have gone out the window!

• Like 2

• Admin
21 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

When the misses said about buying a new car I think all the blood rushed to my head and the impulse to buy something kicked in and commonsense may have gone out the window!

This happens to the best of us haha

Hopefully you'll find something that you like and go from there ! :)

• Like 1

Just now, Dairusire said:

This happens to the best of us haha

Hopefully you'll find something that you like and go from there ! :)

I think thats the best thing, find something that I like the look of  and runs well (as unmolested as possible). Maybe something iin the same Island would be easier, don't mid driving a few hours to view.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

I think thats the best thing, find something that I like the look of  and runs well (as unmolested as possible). Maybe something iin the same Island would be easier, don't mid driving a few hours to view.

I know a person who may be selling A V2 STi Type RA number 420/555 btw. Literally just got told.

• Admin
18 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

RA vs normal... you get the R180 diff, DCCD, bigger brakes than some of them, no sound deadening, quick steering rack.

None of these mean much to an entry-level track car/weekend fun car, you would have just as much fun in a $3500 GF8.

This one has been optioned with electric windows so you don't even get the windy-up window weight saving.

Oh and you get the roof scoop.

• Like 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, boon said:

RA vs normal... you get the R180 diff, DCCD, bigger brakes than some of them, no sound deadening, quick steering rack.

None of these mean much to an entry-level track car/weekend fun car, you would have just as much fun in a $3500 GF8.

This one has been optioned with electric windows so you don't even get the windy-up window weight saving.

Oh and you get the roof scoop.

Should've lead with "get the roof scoop", it's obviously the most important part :P

Yes a proper plated rear diff is great as well... but the stock r180 needs modifying to work properly unfortunately... it's way too loose in stock form... well after 20 years of use they are anyway.

Edited by loner

So im really trying to decided between the RA ($6.5k at the moment) or this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1148838067

Which Im hoping I could get for less, and can travel to look at.

As a first car to play with Im quite keen on the white one, as is a bit more practical for general use, But the RA does have the cool factor. but is more expensive (and looks like it could be a bit of a money pit if things went wrong, ie drive train -DCCD box and diffs)

You are potentially going to have trouble with any WRX that's 20 years old... whether it be a WRX, an STi or an R or RA... the RA drivetrain is not stronger... apart from the rear diff, but no one ever breaks the rear diff on a 4wd WRX. 

Edited by loner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pl0x said:

RA drivetrain will be more reliable than the wrx, and won't break at factory power.

You won't regret spending the extra 1k at the beginning, so much more car for the money.

Its the price that I can get the car for will be a big factor, if I could ge it for 6.5k then probably would go for it , but once it starts to go higher then would have to rreconsider value for money

Would he not sell it for $6.5k or less? I didn't think it would be worth $6.5k but when comparing it to the wrx for $5.5k it's a better deal.

I must be out of the market because both of those seem expensive unless you are offering below asking price.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pl0x said:

Would he not sell it for $6.5k or less? I didn't think it would be worth $6.5k but when comparing it to the wrx for $5.5k it's a better deal.

I must be out of the market because both of those seem expensive unless you are offering below asking price.

Ive never been in the market so not sure on prices. Im hoping to get someone to look at the RA and give me their impression. Will wait and see if it sells and if it doesnt will offer a lower price, also have to factor in the cost of flights and ferry to bring it back.

If I went for the 5.5k car I would defiantly offer lower than asking price.

• General Member

How to make a Smal Fortune : buy a race car :P

I'm the other end of the scale Avenger with Cage was $500

rebuilt motor was $1500

New belts & tires $500

Trailer cost me bout $5k

mucho funo

but now I have a $800 dereg TT Sedan to thrash without the hassle of expired belts and safety equipment

• Admin
17 minutes ago, loner said:

How are you going to accomplish that?

I'm assuming paddock-bashes/motorkhanas don't care if your belts are 3 weeks outside their use-by-date?

But this is from a position of relative ignorance...

• Like 1

To be honest if your budget is only $6k. Buy a Honda.

Yes, you will have to adjust to no boost and may feel inadequate... But you will have much more reliability, and happiness when driving hard and beating WRX's.

An average condition ITR can be had for that money, and they have virtually no reliability issues, are cheaper to insure and are designed to be raced. Unlike a Subaru where you will spend a few kay just to make it reliable enough to beat on.

If your budget was more like $10-15k, sure race a WRX. Buy cheap and replace/upgrade everything, then it might be reliable. But if your budget is small, Subaru is not your friend. (highlighted in bold so that Sam can finally change his signature to be a more recent quote from me!).

Edited by Munkvy
  • Like 3