Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stripped bolt (need help asap)

Subru

1 minute ago, KwS said:

I have often seen those weird powerbuilt sockets and wondered if they actually worked. I love my rattlegun and 6 sided impact sockets for suspension work.

Depending on how much access you have to the stripped nut, i would try a few things myself. Hammering on a smaller socket, a hammer and chisel to try and turn it (or cut it off), or just plain old cutting it off with a death wheel or dremel.

I see a few of these around too and also wondered if they work for cutting off rounded nuts. Havent really needed one so far.

41au92chKPL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks for the advice, might try a few things.

6 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

You got a pic of how bad it actually is? Powerbuilt make these weird sockets that supposedly still grip on nuts that are up to 85% F***ed. Got a free set myself but haven't yet ruined a nut enough to need them so can't comment on how well they actually work

We have a set of those at work and I have used it with success a couple of times. You typically have to hammer it onto the nut/bolt and use a vice + furious wiggling to get the bolt out afterwards but they do grip the bolt very well.

3 hours ago, slystiguy said:

could also smash on a smaller socket onto it and use a breaker bar

if you can get your grinder in there that would probably be the quickest way

(penetrate spray is your friend) 

Are high tensile nuts and bolts correct for suspension stuff? I also bought ones with a full thread if that makes a difference...

Just now, Andy_Mac said:

I prefer broughted.

Not sure on using full threaded bolts. With how tight they are it shouldn't be an issue. Yours has only a single lower bolt aye?

yea only 1 bolt. I went to pick a part today but and couldn't find many Subarus with the same nut/bolt and all of them had either rusted or seized nuts so I couldn't get any...xD

I dunno what torque the newer ones run but the older ones have a pretty high amount on them. I would hazard a guess any grade 8 bolt would be fine how ever I'm not an engineer :) just put something in there in the mean time and grab a couple new bolts from partsouq (good time to get any other clips/gaskets you might need in the future)

2 minutes ago, slystiguy said:

I dunno what torque the newer ones run but the older ones have a pretty high amount on them. I would hazard a guess any grade 8 bolt would be fine how ever I'm not an engineer :) just put something in there in the mean time and grab a couple new bolts from partsouq (good time to get any other clips/gaskets you might need in the future)

okay sweet :)

After trying everything including welding an old socket onto the bolt, it was still stuck on (look at what it did to this adapter...pic below).

Finally I had to get it grinded off which managed to release the nut from the bolt, the other side of the car came out a little easier, with using breaker bar more carefully.

20161130_201722_1.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, El_Chado said:

Those lower bolts are tighter than a camels arse in a sand storm. I broke two extension bars and a ratchet trying to get mine off last night. Off to repco for a breaker bar and 19mm impact socket today!

My breaker is 550 or 600mm long and from repco. Best investment ever

• Like 1