Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

2001 BH5 Etune - Front diff noise...?

dtech72

Hi all, first time posting on here - im massively stuck on an issue i’ve had with the legacy for quite a while now

basically it sounds like a front wheel bearing knackered - but ive changed both and also both cv axles (driveshafts)

not only is there a crazy rumbling noise, something is also causing the car to wander when at expressway speeds (like a steering joint is worn...)

HELP!!! Surely there is someone on here that has experienced a similar issue

Really appreicate any response or suggestions - thanks!!

I’ve literally changed everything that turns - new discs, tyres, wheel bearings and cv axles

I let one place have it for a morning and they thought it was power steering related - that could explain the wandering but certainly not the noise...

• Like 1

could be two unrelated  things.

pop it up on stands and idle it in gear - poke around with a mechanics stethoscope (broom handle or similar) to work out where the noise is coming from.  Maybe its gearbox or centre diff bearings.

Wandering could be rear-end.  Rear trailing arm front bushes shot, for example.

Edited by duncanm
  • Like 1

one other thought about steering which is easy to check - inspect your steering rack bushes.  A few years of oil splatter can make them go to mush and fall apart, then the rack slides about.

You'll typically feel this on turn-in, though. Feels like steering slips as it loads up.

So, i've figured out - the rumble noise is coming from the front right tyre/rim (but its a fairly new tyre which is odd)

As for the wandering steering - i'm going to swap out the steering rack bushes as they're quite cheap and see if it makes much difference

watch this space....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kamineko
      In lieu of a new Technical board structure being implemented soon, here are the workings for the new FAQ posts to replace all technical stickies, and hopefully most of your searches.
      This is a temporary post because it isn't helping anyone locked away while I'm too busy to finish it.
      Please post additional useful links as a new post for a Mod to add to the list.
      Mods, I've tried to categorise things logically and keep double-ups to a minimum. PM me any questions.
      Cheers,
      kamineko

INFORMATIONAL
      Documents

Every JDM brochure - @chappell943 SUBARU PARTS CATALOGUE - @B4 2000  
      Workshop Manuals

Workshop Service Manuals - Stoffa Gen 1 Legacy workshop manual - @slystiguy Gen 3 and 4 workshop manuals - @paulngui Legacy 1998-2003 Service Manual (GEN III incl RSK/GT) - @suubyduuby Workshop manual BE/BH 2003MY. Covers TT 4442 pages by Fuji Heavy Industries - @Rosssub FORESTER 1999-2002 Workshop Manual - @luvmaforzzy pdf Engine manual for a Ej20t Dohc - subaru-mania Vacuum Diagrams and Solenoid Placements for WRX - Swindog  
      Gadget Manuals

Programming Keyless Entry Info All Legacy GT/b's Installation manuals (Timers/Controllers etc) - @Joker Zero Sports Sequential Controller DIY translation - @nncoolg G4 pdf manual - evowrx GFB G-Force 2 Boost Controller Manual  Gizzmo Ibc Manual  
      Model Codes & Specifications

Impreza   WRX Classic Model Codes - kamineko JDM WRX ECUS - kamineko JDM WRX Brake setups - kamineko Factory Power/Torque/Kerb Weights for all GC/GF Models. - thorpy How to decipher model/chassis codes (JDM vehicles) - boostin  
      Legacy  
      JDM Legacy applied model codes - readosnr
      Legacy BL BP info - subieboy   Forester  
      JDM Forester applied model codes
      -readosnr  
      Engine

ECU basics from ScoobyMods including reset & CEL Reading procedures V3/4 Sti Shim under aftermarket valves Part Numbers - @thorpy Intercooler and Other Related FAQ's - @Swindog  
      Turbo

Subaru Turbo System explained - @Stoffa Turbo FAQ's - @Swindog More IHI Turbo specs - @Shale  
      Drivetrain

Manual Transmission Ratios - By @Johnnynz Subaru Gearbox Chart V2 - @GC8E2DD Subaru Gearbox Code Chart  
      Electrical

Full list of fault codes - @boostin Check Engine Light CEL Codes - @kamineko Subaru ABS Fault Codes Power Light Fault Codes (Automatic Transmission) - arsenal69 Wiring guides and pinouts - @ReubenH ECU Pinouts BC5 BG5a WRX (4 plug) pinouts V7 STI ECU Diagram jollygreenmonster.com ECU pinouts Speed sensor pinout - @gotasuby  
    • By NZGTB
      I recently imported my dream bh5 in the purple/ blue colour, auto ej206 which I'm fine with, it has 49,000 k"s and upon inspection it has had a centre decat and muffler delete and a back box from zero sports. It's a rev C from 2000 and I'm looking to get a base tune or Remap. I contacted possum bourne here in auckland but they are unable to tune the rev C ecu for some reason? Would anyone be able to point me in a direction of a tuner in auckland? Someone also mentioned on here about project lambda,  I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them and if it's worth it. Thanks guys!
  • Recent Status Updates