Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

SUBARU Upper Engine Cleaner...anyone used this?

Hailz

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hailz']

[quote name='G-unit said:

jeez maybe my old girl needs some of this

/quote]

Do it...

It makes a tone of difference aye! i did it on mine, way to much smoked, covered half my street and made the people down the road from us panic a little

I do mine ever 2nd oil change now

Where do you put it? Somewhere in the intake I'm guessing?

i just take off vacuum hose to BOV and spray in there, never had a problem with it but any vacuum hose will do

Bazza-NZ']

[quote name='G-unit said:

jeez maybe my old girl needs some of this

/quote]

Do it...

It makes a tone of difference aye! i did it on mine, way to much smoked, covered half my street and made the people down the road from us panic a little

I do mine ever 2nd oil change now

Think he was referring to his other girl :-p

Max Headroom']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Read the instructions on the can; you can't go wrong.

Just pop off a vacuum hose on the intake.

/quote]

I'm always nervous when I see instructions/directions which include phrases such as "you can't miss it" and "you can't go wrong" . . . . . ;D

Yeah but with this product... your really can't

read instructions, spray, Done ;)

its the simplest thing you can do for your Subaru

• General Member

eh? just indo pipe clamp (1x Flat head screwdriver) and spray into intake pipe after AFM (I may have wrong end of stick and single turbos BOV feeds back into same area - then yes BOV vent pipe will do)

TTIUWOP

let it sit 15.6 mins I think, then start up and drive (I think you need warm motor to start with)

We did it to a friends impreza before he sold it and there was a fair bit of smoke coming out of it lol.

When I did it to mine didn't have any smoke that I could see, Prob cause I take it on the open road as much as poss and keep it hawtt.

Also Re via the air intake, So could I just run it and spray some in there and maybe clean the turbos / intake pipes up a bit ?

if you were to spray it via the air intake, i would spray it after the airflow meter.

i found when i tried it like this on mine most of it just sits in the intake pipe, and it takes a bit of driving to get it to suck through

(sorry if this has already been mentioned)

-smurff

guys guys guys....

get can, read back of can

follow directions on back of can.

iirc, get car warm, then squirt into intake manifold via vacuum hose...

th_carbuildup001cropCustom.jpg

for example, the green hose, or even the blue one. To be honest, it doesnt matter, just try and spray DIRECTLY INTO THE MANIFOLD, BEHIND THE THROTTLE PLATE

spray half can in, let sit. get mate, to crank car as you spray other half of can in. sit

then start and take car for a smoky drive.

This stuff is good at removing CARBON buildups, not film oil.

If you have ever looked inside a turbo/intake/intercooler - there is sfa carbon, its 90% oil. If you really worried about cleaning that, take it out, then run a bunch of petrol/degreaser/brakecleen through, drain, and let dry before putting back on car.

This stuff is a foaming cleaner, so it needs a fixed area to work in, say the intake plenum. The cranking bit just draws some through into the cylinders i think (not 100% on this bit)

i dont like idea of spraying into the pipe directly behind the afm - too far to the parts that need it (idle control) and the throttle plate will stop it getting past there anyway.

and as said elsewhere

Because Subarus are a flat four or horizontally opposed (correct technical term) engine they are prone to carbon build up in the inlet manifold.

There is chemical spray you can get to clean it all out which can give significant gains in the overall performance of the engine depending how dirty it is. People with brand new Subarus or guys who have there Subarus serviced at a Subaru dealership will automatically get this done everytime they go in for a service.

But if you do your own oil changes and services this is something you will want to do about every 10,000km's or at every oil change is a good idea. Also if you get your Subaru serviced at just a general mechanic you might want to check with them to see if they are using this stuff, if not do it yourself.

The can cost about $17 from subaru.

upper.jpg

Instructions are on the back of the can as far as application is concerned.

upper2.jpg

upper3.jpg

On the GC8 model Subaru you pull this gromet off and spray it in there. For newer Subaru models you should be able to find a similar gromet around the top of the IM. For older Subarus if there is no gromet just spray it down a hose that leads into the IM. Once again instructions for application are on the can.

Once done take it for a good drive and put the engine under load, depending on how dirty it is you might blow a fair bit of smoke, this is good :)