Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bored? Offer your 2cents on a few cars..

webup']

[quote name='TURTLE said:

They can't be that bad if they are still in business.

/quote]

No it just shows how many dimwits are out there.

Any company that specializes in those types of cars is going to get a bad wrap as all of the cars they sell are prone to explode.

Plus some of the staff are idiots. I went in there once and when I told the guy that I wouldn't have the cash till next week he told me I should buy it now on HP and then just pay it back....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grifter730']
Decisions are so tough!!

I hear ya, but at least your budget's decent! Out of the non-subie, why the Z over the RX7/8?

Just personal preference i guess, i reckon it's a bit classier and less boy-racer. Also i think performance is slightly better than the RX8, and it's a 3.5litre rear wheel drive! ;)

[quote name='hellmitt said:

i dunno, i mean, lowering my car that much is just not my scene, i just dont get it, but, i would get a nice set of adjusties in a heartbeat, ive had them before, and they really do make a difference to the driving experience, plus thsoe are probably set to their lowest point. doesnt look like its been too "boyracered" but does have a couple of tasteful mods.

Yeah i don't like them that low either, although the 19's probably make it look a bit worse too. I'd get rid of them for some 18's and raise it back up a bit i think.

Have had a bit of a turn around after remembering and having another look at this video: url]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/208-Fifth-Gear-Impreza-UK_178097.htm[/url] (although i hate Fifth Gear!). The Forester could be an option. I contacted the dealer about this one, asking whether it'd have a 100,000km service done before sale, and he said "it would come with the engine already serviced" and "am I right in that you would buy it if I took care of the cambelt job".. so i've replied saying i would only consider buying it IF the cambelt was done, and what exactly does he mean by the engine being "serviced". Could just be an oil change!

I am a big fan of the Sti forester's. Keep in mind tho that the one on 5th gear has been retuned slash reflashed to run on UK fuel so isn't exactly a a standard car. eg Making 300hp and if you compared a standard STI forester and a standard Sti sedan the sedan would thrash it.

well, just goes to show that if its got an STI badge on it, its all good!!! i like the idea that one day when i actually have kids, that i can get something that fun, and still pass it off as a stationwagon to the Missus. GENIUS!!!

DPI said:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-230105520.htm

Bruce at rose city, only sells good cars…I have brought 3 subaru’s from him, all good.

I only just realised that that Spec C is the same as the damaged one here. He's said it needs the front crossmember to be replaced, front subframe needs to be repaired or replaced and the front bumper needs to be repaired or replaced. Also radiator support panel needs aligning.. that sounds pretty expensive to me, and also like a decent prang

Can't stop looking, managed to cull my watchlist from 25 to 15 today, but found this as well: Modded Version 6

[Edit] Just noticed it was listed for sale on May 24th earlier this year, and at that time someone asked for pictures of engine bay and they said no??! Here's the old listing: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/WRX/auction-219072246.htm

That one has been around for ages I see, doesn't catch my eye for the price you pay... Seems far too overpriced. For 25kish I would still prefer to either grab a v8 or 9 sti

For the price you can pay for that would also net u easily this v4 sti wrx another member is selling here in Chch which has every modifcation you can imagine.....Some serious coin been spent on this car and has been well looked after.

900A0587.jpg

carcarcar.jpg

subiv5']

I am a big fan of the Sti forester's. Keep in mind tho that the one on 5th gear has been retuned slash reflashed to run on UK fuel so isn't exactly a a standard car. eg Making 300hp and if you compared a standard STI forester and a standard Sti sedan the sedan would thrash it.

Excuse my ignorance, but how come a car tuned for UK fuel would be more powerful? I'm in the UK at the moment and they seem to have similar 95/98 fuel like we do (to my untrained eye anyway).

[quote name='WRXER said:

That one has been around for ages I see, doesn't catch my eye for the price you pay... Seems far too overpriced. For 25kish I would still prefer to either grab a v8 or 9 sti

Yeah you're right, it's definitely overpriced and hence why no one has bought it yet.. although i wonder if there's something else dodgy that's stopping it from selling too?

Just found a video from NZ (random!) that compares the RX8 and 350Z.. even has an STI in there too (kicks arse): url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFXtiKxD6Y[/url]

Dont get the forrester, from my anecdotal evidence on here, they are generally sold and an sti brought. If your buying them because you may have kids and want the room, you may as well get a four door saloon theres not much in them compared to other four wheel drives. Ive got to kids and we manage to fill ou long wheel base Pajero up pretty easily., plus the extra seats in the back are real handy, instant bus when required.

If you love the shape buy a forrester, otherwise you may as well just get an sti, they are just as practical.

For the price range your looking in, I would drive a hard baragin on a standard v8, an evo 7 or if you were real lucky a v9, but it sort of depends if you want something different to what you had?

Ideally I'd get what I had before, but funds won't allow that anymore, plus they're still comparatively rare. V8 or 9 would be good, but again there aren't many good ones in my price range. I don't particularly like the shape of the forester, but seems to perform pretty well and still have room for surfboards :P, mountain bikes etc. In saying that, I'd still rather have something else (that's why I'm looking at multiple other options), but may turn out that the forester is the best value for money..

Prepare for a fair bit of depreciation if you go that way...

I have been able to fit two surfboards in my stis and my legacy with the seats up.

I would proabably go for a newer gtb over the forrester, has alot more boot space.

Did you have a sedan or wagon STI? I could never fit surfboards in my STI, I could get my snowboard in by opening up the gap in the middle arm rest, but that was it. You're right though, I put a fridge in the back of my old legacy! But my impression is there aren't any legacy's out there that perform like the STI forester (including the s401)

subiv5']

http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru_06forester.asp

These are the guys that import them into the UK.

The great thing about these are that they have to remap-able/flashable ecu's so doesn't take much to get them making heaps of power.

So they need remapping from Japan to suit the UK fuel.. then wouldn't the same be the case for NZ fuel? Looked at the site and they definitely look like they do a nice job! Anyone know of anybody in NZ that does a similar thing?

[quote name='BlkPnthr said:

Just found a video from NZ (random!) that compares the RX8 and 350Z.. even has an STI in there too (kicks arse): url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFXtiKxD6Y[/url]

Ah some old school footage from the High Octane guys.... and that STi was owned by Jono at the time who now drives the Buddyclub Integra.

Yeah, that's the sort of vid that makes things difficult. I spend ages telling myself that i'll be happy with the Nissan or Mazda, and then they go and embarass both of them easily with a nice STI.

Found this today, looks like a good condition low km version 8. Now to find out how negotiable they are on price. If i can get them down a reasonable amount, anybody want to go look at it for me? :)http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239020884

If you get another STi and want to fit your snowboard in, don't get a Spec C, as the intercooler spray tank is solidly mounted to the back of the rear seats. Spec C are great drivers cars though.

I found the 350Z to be noisy, the interior to be a bit plasticky, the ride quality to be very firm, and the boot to be stupidly tiny. Driving dynamics wise they're very good, but you get very little else for your money.

Buy a cheap daily beater, then get a little Lotus 7 replica as your play car.

sure, i would go look at it! looks good from the photos, and it has to be the best out of all the ones youve mentioned so far, still a while til u get back tho...

stira said:

Thers plenty of those around. I wouldnt rush in to it. Why not go for something a bit rarer?

I slid a note under the windscreen of a rough looking lancia delta integrale this morning.

I really really really, hope to hear back. Was pretty rough though.

TURTLE']

[quote name='stira said:

Thers plenty of those around. I wouldnt rush in to it. Why not go for something a bit rarer?

/quote]

I slid a note under the windscreen of a rough looking lancia delta integrale this morning.

I really really really, hope to hear back. Was pretty rough though.

Just means itll be fun making it not rough ;)

Simon C']

If you get another STi and want to fit your snowboard in, don't get a Spec C, as the intercooler spray tank is solidly mounted to the back of the rear seats. Spec C are great drivers cars though.

I found the 350Z to be noisy, the interior to be a bit plasticky, the ride quality to be very firm, and the boot to be stupidly tiny. Driving dynamics wise they're very good, but you get very little else for your money.

Buy a cheap daily beater, then get a little Lotus 7 replica as your play car.

Yeah I did realise that about the Spec C, obviously that purchase would be swaying towards performance, and same with the 350z (which seems to have zero practicality!)

[quote name='stira said:

Fair enough, but just because it's common doesn't mean it isn't a good buy. Would like something rare, but not going to pass up a good condition, well-priced common car if I find one

So, not wanting to derail Grifter's thread, thought i'd start up again in here.

Someone linked to www.tradecarview.com, and there are tonnes of cars on there, ranging from very expensive to what seems very cheap.

So shipping costs would be about another $2k, but does anybody know what you pay when it arrives? Import duty, compliance etc.. what sort of dollars are those?

Shipping + MAF will cost you about $1300 (no clue what MAF means, but I think it's something to do with the guy that inspects the car for you). Then there's GST. Compliance/wof/rego will be another $1000.

I use tradecarview as well as this, which is where I got all my info from: http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction/auctions_calculators.htm. I also use carwebs.co.nz.