• Raised $0.00

What is a resonable cost to do the following repairs

Hey guys

Just failed wof on the following:

Front suspesnsion Top hats Split

Vehicle has no rear bump stops

Rear shocks need replacing

Steering rack bushes need replacing.

What is a reasonable cost including parts and labour to do this? I was quoted between $1,200 - $1,500 for this work at a subaru dealership.

Why do people go to the dealership? I don't understand.

Though 1200 to 1500 doesn't sound all the bad.

The shocks you use will have a big influence on the cost I'd say.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Why do people go to the dealership? I don't understand.

Though 1200 to 1500 doesn't sound all the bad.

The shocks you use will have a big influence on the cost I'd say.

I only go to the deaership here because they serviced the car before I got it and have good records of everything so far. Also havn't found a new mechanic to go to as of yet but I understand dealers are expensive usually.

Good to know that that cost doesn't sound too bad.

In terms of the Shocks, i know there is a difference between struts and shocks but was hoping you or someone else could help me with understanding these.

WHat exactly do Bugeyes have? They have Struts right? Not separate Shocks

Is this a repair you can do yourself if you have the tools and a little knowledge or best left for mechanics?

And if I decided to at least source the parts myself, any recommendations on what to replace with.

Thanks Loren!

Edited by Bugeye01WRX

Yes the strut, shock and spring are one unit. You need to buy a new strut and swap over the spring and top hat... and if the new strut doesn't come with bump stops,

then put those on too. I have no idea what spec shocks you have in your car. 

You don't really need an special tools for this work apart from spring compressors... I don't think you should attempt it though.

I suggest that you ask them for a breakdown of costs, then you know what you are pay for parts and labour... I'd say it's only 3 to 4 hours work,

but the dealers tend to charge for more labour than they need. Ask them if a wheel alignment is included in their quote too.

Edited by Loren

Bilstein shocks can be rebuilt somewhere in Auckland (I forget where right now, I've only had one coffee). 'Std.' shocks https://youtu.be/Y47PDT4coNE replace with whatever suits your budget, second hand STi struts are a handy/budgetish upgrade for a std. WRX 

If you can lay hands on a spring compressor it's not rocket science, plenty of how to video's on Youtube, keep in mind you'll need a wheel alignment after any suspension replacements 

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/07/2021 at 7:41 AM, Loren said:

Yes the strut, shock and spring are one unit. You need to buy a new strut and swap over the spring and top hat... and if the new strut doesn't come with bump stops,

then put those on too. I have no idea what spec shocks you have in your car. 

You don't really need an special tools for this work apart from spring compressors... I don't think you should attempt it though.

I suggest that you ask them for a breakdown of costs, then you know what you are pay for parts and labour... I'd say it's only 3 to 4 hours work,

but the dealers tend to charge for more labour than they need. Ask them if a wheel alignment is included in their quote too.

Just a quick question. I got my car serviced a few weeks ago and needed new rear shocks and had no rear bump stops so basically rear suspension is shot.

Had it booked in to do this work tomorrow but since we have been plunged in Lockdown unable to get the work done.

I have avoided driving my car as much as possible but I notice that every time I drive over bumps in the road my back goes "thud" so I know the suspension is pretty bad.

I'm really pissed as the other day I hit a HUGE pothole where I scraped my exhaust (already posted about that), and I hadn't driven car since (lockdown). Had to drive today and I felt like the car just felt a bit "cheaper." If felt like it was thudding/clunking worse even with smaller bumps.

Just wondering what things would bear the brunt of the assault on hitting a massive pothole if the shocks are bad. I assume control arms and ball joints primarily?

I had a look and can't see any damage to them but what else should I look out for that could be causing this worse ride? is there anything specific I should get the workshop to look at when they do the work.

• Haha 1