Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

AV Gas??

1CE

Any body know whats the deal with running AV gas on a standard tune??

Ive heard AV gas has lead in it & its bad to run in street cars? Is this true?

If its safe to run, is there any performance gains to be made over running 98 BP Ultimate?

Heard some people were running it in there subies for drag meets. I dont know anything about the octane rating of AV gas or whats in it or if you need the ECU mapped to run it so I thought id post it up.

I used to run it in one of my old cars when I went cruising (a long time ago).

It is illegal to run on the street, so if you are buying it from a service station they usually won't let you put it straight in the car. Just drive around corner and do it ;)

Didn't really give any performance gains, but the engine ran allot cooler so you could keep your foot down for longer on hill runs etc. without worrying about overheating. The exhaust smells awesome as well (which adds to the wank factor).

If you are in christchurch I think a garage out in Tai tapu sells it.

as above....

pros -

avgas smells good

avgas resists det better (main reason i run a mix of it for trackdays) - this is just my protection against det on standard ecu and who knows what other problems may happen.

cons -

eats o2 sensors (dont think mine is installed)

pricy - at 2.57 a litre

other -

has no tax on it - popo not happy.

fuel useage seems to soar.

smells good.

nasty stuff to get on skin.

and,

it smells good.

Buy it from an airport, or aero club.

Its prob cheaper than a gas station, and it gets used up quicker. So you are always getting fresh stuff.

The petrol station by Manfield sells Av, but the rumor is thats its old stuff, and sits there a while.

You just need some 20l containers, and usually sign a form to say your not using it on the street.

But MSNZ have phased out the use of Avgas for the top teirs, and at some stage will phase it out for all motorsport, as its bad for mother earth....

But it smells GREAT!

loren']

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

anyone know wheere in dunedin one can find AV gas?

i need some for thsi HC coming up

/quote]

are you for real?

look here at your very own thread, where you ask the SAME question and get lot's of

answers.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,4602.0.html

Wasn't that thread about possible causes of suspected detonation in his car??

I don't remember anywhere advise on a place to get avgas in Dunedin.

• Admin
 loren']

sorry mike... he asked it here after being told about it in the det thread.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,4592.msg61359.html#msg61359

im about to quote the post you and linked to...

sorry to hijack, but where in chch can u get avgas?

im asking where in b]DUNEDIN[/b] one can buy AV gas, that post you linked to asks where in CHCH you can get it.

now im assuming you havnt spent much time in the south island, because the drive from CHCH to DUNEDIN is 365 khs (min) and im not sure about your cars fuel economy, but thats atleast 2 thirds of a tank in my car, meaning after driving down there id need to fill up again before the hill climb...

so as you see my above question is a valid one.

RAYDEO']

sorry mike... he asked it here after being told about it in the det thread.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,4592.msg61359.html#msg61359

im about to quote the post you and linked to...

sorry to hijack, but where in chch can u get avgas?

/quote]

im asking where in DUNEDIN one can buy AV gas, that post you linked to asks where in CHCH you can get it.

now im assuming you havnt spent much time in the south island, because the drive from CHCH to DUNEDIN is 365 khs (min) and im not sure about your cars fuel economy, but thats atleast 2 thirds of a tank in my car, meaning after driving down there id need to fill up again before the hill climb...

so as you see my above question is a valid one.

Well does Dunners have Airports?

If it does, there will be AVGAS! Its what planes use after all....

Find a local aero club, the ones that fly the small planes. You can usually buy from there.

I used to go to the Wellington Aero Club at Wellington Aiirport and buy mine there. Im sure Dunedin will be the same.