Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boost control solenoid line leading into the air intake box....

8e4r

Hi, I recently obtained a 3" custom air intake pipe. It's basically just a straight swap for the stock air box you find between the turbo and the AFM on a V2 Impreza WRX. One question I do have though:

20px6l3.jpg

As you can see, on the OEM air box, there is a small inlet for the boost control solenoid hose that sits right underneath the 90 degree bend of the main air intake line.

Basically I was just wondering is this going to cause any problems if I don't have this hose connected with the custom pipe? Should I have it connected elsewhere or is it sufficient to just close it off all together?

I haven't made any changes since I bought the car and it was basically standard apart from a hateful aftermarket BOV which I replaced with the stock one (not sure if that has any relevance). So I'm assuming its always been in use? Is there a way to check and how do I just "block it off"?

Screw with cable tie. By the picture it looks like you are still using the factory solenoid. Put in the new intake and try it with it blocked off. You'll soon find out if you do need to connect it. It wont idle right.

BC5RA said:

+1

What are the details of your custom 3" intake? is it one of those job's of TM?

Yea I got it off tradme, here's a picture of it:

23qgx2.jpg

At the moment I haven't decided if I will keep it on the car permanently (It's still coming via post lol) but what I had planned in the long term was to replace the entire intake from the turbo (using this custom pipe as a guideline or mould towards my own design) with my own concepts. I just don't have time at the moment and this pipe on TM wasn't awfully expensive so I thought I might try it.

Still a bit puzzled as to what I should do with the boost control hose, since a few of you are saying this, others that. What changes will I expect to see if I just leave it open to atmosphere or close it off?

Well that would depend on who you trust.. Sorry to say and i'll face the ramifications but there's a lot of Mis-information and bullshit artistry from some of the members on this site and i feel sorry for the new guys who come on here looking for straight up answers and then come away more confused than before.

Personnelly I can vouch for two of the members who've answered you. One is Ichi Ban and the other is QUIKGT.

If you block off the hose you'll get about 5 psi...

I disconnected that on my 1st gen Legacy and boost rose ~1.5 psi. I'm not sure if that's typical though. The main reason I removed the hose was because I broke off the connection on the resonant chamber though.

Incedentally I think I'm probably one of the 'mis-information' people.

• 2 weeks later...

wouldn't leaving it off create a air leak though??

mine sounded like it had a air leak and i was loosing power, when i checked the hoses i found mine was disconnected, after reconnecting it, it seemed the prob was gone and all power back wea it should be.

someone else might know more?

Guest boostcut

no as its un metered air and its actually a vacuum switching valve and all the hose that goes to the airbox does is take air from after the airfilter but before the afm

DECIVD said:

Screw with cable tie. By the picture it looks like you are still using the factory solenoid. Put in the new intake and try it with it blocked off. You'll soon find out if you do need to connect it. It wont idle right.

PLastic golf tees work perfectly. Bit o grease to get them in and they are tight as and a wee cable tie.

• 3 months later...
 Swindog']

[quote name='DECIVD said:

/quote]

PLastic golf tees work perfectly. Bit o grease to get them in and they are tight as and a wee cable tie.

For other hoses maybe, but you do not want to block that bottom solenoid hose off!

• 2 months later...

hey just bringing up a bit of an old topic, getting a electronic boost control for my v3 Sti.

The current wastegate solenoid is kind of like that but only has two outputs for hoses. One to the turbo with a tee at the end of it then it branches to the wastegate and other side of the tee goes to restricter pill and boost side on turbo (will put up picture if thats confusing)

Then the other hose off the solenoid going to the Air intake pipe.

My new solenoid also has two hose outputs but the manual says you use one to go to the wastegate then the other to go to the boost side on turbo before intercooler. Thats understandable, so now no restricter pill

So then i just leave that hose running off the Air intake pipe to vent and not block it off?