• Raised $0.00

Is AVCS worth the effort?

ReubenH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99stiravlmtd said:

il just jump in right at the end im not 100 percent sure on this but have been reading alot of american forumbs on these heads as i had the same ideas and one had some specs sheets on the later model avcs il try find it again and avcs was mainly for lower fuel consumption and emissions control made slighly higher power but the variable lobe wasnt a hell of alot bigger so didnt give to much extra valve lift over normal lobe some one correct me if im wrong

iv just got ported version 6 sti heads they seemed to do the job ok

That's AVLS, what is being discussed here is variable timing, not lift.

BC5RA']

[quote name='funkytown said:

so on my build (235kw) on completely stock heads.. and 2L and an open deck is well within power tolerance and hoons big time.. It even still uses the outers of my old VF23..

Come for a skid at MM rheubs.. b]I think you will be quite suprised how easy it is to make that sorta power and keep it reliable..[/b]

That and how fast 230+ is for a daily.. iv come to realise i cant harness mine anywhere except the light that go onto the motorway in wellies i.e 0--->100, other than that im likely to skittle a kid/pet/object/parked car/not parked car/pot hole/or adult who unexpectidly crosses the road or steps out in the way.. any more than part boost is waaaay dangerous round town, and even on open road it wants to do 150km's plus real fast..

to turtles point my tune has been limited to 7 grand.. and im slamming into that way to quick.. it needs to be pushed out 500rpm or so.. not for "power" but to let it run over for gear shift when hooning

I don't think anybody can say there engine is reliable until a lot of mileage has been covered without an issue.

(no offense to Rick)

Everybody has there idea on what engine build they would like, some would say a 2.0 open deck engine build is boring ::)

sure, the more kms the more evidence you have to say its reliable.. and perhaps im getting a little off topic myself but my point is im making good power on totally factory V3 heads. From the comments and any one thats been near the car all comment about how nice it sounds / feels. Time will tell

edit: 2.ol open deck -> boring. I promise you once its together and tuned and you get to drive it its nothing but boring ;)

hrm.

excuse me for saying this but its a block FFS. None of them are exciting. You want it boring. It means it hasnt sh1t itself!!!

I dont care what block it is aslong as it does as god intended, helps make good power and is cheap to replace if it does break.

yep as i said many pages ago - factory heads non avcs will do 500hp with the right turbo

No offence FT but if your sticking with 2.0 then for a few dollars more CDB is a better option.

230 odd kw is certainly more than adequate for the road

On the whole 230 kw is heaps debate, I'm sure it is. As is 180 kw. The GTB in it's current states is plenty fast, but... it could be faster. And i'm sorry, no-one has the right to shoot me down for chasing power, cause half of bloody clubsub is doing the same. There are VERY few who have stock engines and want to leave em that way. We have EZ30R's with link ecu's in impreza's, 2.5L Twin turbo monsters, 250 kw here and there. There is nothing wrong with me wanting to do a bloody 2.2L AVCS build! It's not like i want 500kw, 250 would be plenty. All i wanted to know when i started this thread is, is AVCS worth the effort on such a build, or will my money yeild better results without converting to AVCS.

Will having an AVCS head and loom, and some aftermarket cams cost less or more that sticking to V3 STi and porting them?

For a start, how much is it to get a proper profesional intake and exhaust porting job? How much are aftermarket cams? Will it help lag, make lag worse, or not effect it, and just add top end power?

Guest boostin
 ReubenH said:

On the whole 230 kw is heaps debate, I'm sure it is. As is 180 kw. The GTB in it's current states is plenty fast, but... it could be faster. And i'm sorry, no-one has the right to shoot me down for chasing power, cause half of bloody clubsub is doing the same. There are VERY few who have stock engines and want to leave em that way. We have EZ30R's with link ecu's in impreza's, 2.5L Twin turbo monsters, 250 kw here and there. There is nothing wrong with me wanting to do a bloody 2.2L AVCS build! It's not like i want 500kw, 250 would be plenty. All i wanted to know when i started this thread is, is AVCS worth the effort on such a build, or will my money yeild better results without converting to AVCS.

Will having an AVCS head and loom, and some aftermarket cams cost less or more that sticking to V3 STi and porting them?

For a start, how much is it to get a proper profesional intake and exhaust porting job? How much are aftermarket cams? Will it help lag, make lag worse, or not effect it, and just add top end power?

You forgot this is ClubSub, Reuben. Shoot them down first, answer questions later.

ReubenH said:

most of this has all been answered !

ReubenH said:

My advice (and others)

If you have AVCS heads then it's not worth upgrading; If you don't then they are not worth upgrading to.

It's within the reach of a set of cleaned up V3/V4 STI heads to make 300kw@wheels (is that the output you have in mind?)

AVCS would make a difference in the power band (earlier/wider) and brings boost on sooner.

Dual AVCS would perhaps be more power productive as exhaust timing can be altered as well as intake cam.

Porting and polishing would be well over 1k, new cams 1k which would need new valve springs, mandatory larger turbo and ECU upgrade.

All of these points have already been made within the thread anyway, so look at this as a summary.

Reuben, bro.....calm down.

No one is trying to shoot you down for whatever build. However, you put the question out there and we called it as we saw it.

It seems like you dont like our advice and so have repeatedly asked in order to try and facilitate a new answer. At least thats how I see it. Its almost like you need our validation before you go ahead. You dont.

Do something that makes you happy man, cos thats whats its all about at the end of the day.

Yes the USDM 2.2 CDB and AVCs will be overly expensive in terms of bang for buck. Yes 250kw is not really necessary for a daily driven wagon given that you are also building a legacy track hack. Yes v3 STi heads will be almost as good.

But its your call man.

BC5RA']

[quote name='ReubenH said:

/quote]

My advice (and others)

If you have AVCS heads then it's not worth upgrading; If you don't then they are not worth upgrading to.

It's within the reach of a set of cleaned up V3/V4 STI heads to make 300kw@wheels (is that the output you have in mind?)

AVCS would make a difference in the power band (earlier/wider) and brings boost on sooner.

Dual AVCS would perhaps be more power productive as exhaust timing can be altered as well as intake cam.

Porting and polishing would be well over 1k, new cams 1k which would need new valve springs, mandatory larger turbo and ECU upgrade.

All of these points have already been made within the thread anyway, so look at this as a summary.

+1 i think Ben sum everything up. i like this advice