Is AVCS worth the effort?

ReubenH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shale said:

Minor thread jack (sorry babe)...

As AVCS seems to essentially make more use of the power band when talking bigger than stock figures, this could also be good with a non-turbo build (you saw it coming, my apologies), by dealing to anotherwise dead and undrivable low end, yes? None of the other silly N/A builds overseas seem to have made use of AVCS as no one's had the ability to run it. (Could be outdated info though - can't recall, hasn't there been a 12:1 build with new vs old heads vs block somewhere?)

...and back to the turbos. :)

What output do you have in mind?

Shale said:

Despite several projects going for 300hp, I'd be happy as hell with 250 on a 2.2. Zzyzx did 300 on a 2.5 with a massive throttle body and SOHC heads with mild cams.

Honda BTCC 2.0 Four Engines remove the VTEC cam to make over 300hp with 8500rpm+.

To get the same and be kept civil on the street would require larger displacement to level out the cams.

Similar to AVCS and it's use's in regard's to larger compressors.

The main reason i've gone with 2.2 is the rev limit. And i don't like the bore of the 2.5 either. I am really of the opinion the EJ25 was getting too much displacement out of a block that wasn't designed for it. I've seen 25's with cracked cyl walls, there's the history oh headgasket issues, and the rev limit drop i could not live with, i need my STi 8000 redline.

Yes you can change all of these things, but that costs money and i'd just rather the 2.2. I mean heck, i chose a 20G block for my PBMS build because it was closed deck, i'm hoping to score a closed deck 2.2 for my next project.

There is one other option.... destroked 2.5... a semi closed 2.5 will be tough enough, and won't destroking it let it rev nice and high?

ReubenH said:

The main reason i've gone with 2.2 is the rev limit. And i don't like the bore of the 2.5 either. I am really of the opinion the EJ25 was getting too much displacement out of a block that wasn't designed for it. I've seen 25's with cracked cyl walls, there's the history oh headgasket issues, and the rev limit drop i could not live with, i need my STi 8000 redline.

Yes you can change all of these things, but that costs money and i'd just rather the 2.2. I mean heck, i chose a 20G block for my PBMS build because it was closed deck, i'm hoping to score a closed deck 2.2 for my next project.

There is one other option.... destroked 2.5... a semi closed 2.5 will be tough enough, and won't destroking it let it rev nice and high?

How much money do you have ::)

To build a 2.35 requires more pingas than a 2.5/2.0 build, although the 2.35 is not a hideously over square thing like the 2.5 it will not rev like a 2.0.

A 2.2 would yield similar top end to a 2.0 with an increase in capacity.

Whats the need for revs anyway?

JoKer said:

img8469rr4.jpgshamelessly stolen from another forum

You stole my sig....

And yes, the Impreza i was talking about was owned by a bloke in Austria who bought it new and was telling me how good the EL15 was on gas. Apparently it would happily whine its way into the 7,500rpm limiter after it was properly run in. He was getting around 8L/100km fanging it around Austria.

Sales specs said 106hp which isnt too shabby from a 1.5. The EL20 had a bit more poke in it but this guy opted for the 1.5R 'cos of its dual range box and AVCS.

Personally i dont think messing around putting some AVCS heads on will pay off. And everyone knows the length of your penis is a function of your cars rev limit

Have seen an EL15 in a NZ new Impreza. Looks like an EJ with a funny intake manifold. Have seen one on the net turbocharged putting out 210hp with a TD04

dont want to offend but if you are messing around with N/As at our type of budget the only way to roll is Honda IMO.

Anything else you are just pushing **** uphill.

AVCs heads sound intriguing but trailblazing costs more $$ and the overall effect wont be worth it on a N/A

Turbo diff story....worth it then

ODB said:

dont want to offend but if you are messing around with N/As at our type of budget the only way to roll is Honda IMO.

Anything else you are just pushing **** uphill.

AVCs heads sound intriguing but trailblazing costs more $$ and the overall effect wont be worth it on a N/A

Turbo diff story....worth it then

dude seriously?

My mates NA VVTI VZR eats them for breakfast.

Guest itsgotgo
 ODB']

Why not just stick with the 2.0 block reuben?

You can put tough 2.0 litre blocks together for next to nothing so even if things go bang its not the end of the world.

[quote name='ODB said:

You can put tough 2.0 litre blocks together for next to nothing so even if things go bang its not the end of the world.

He already has a good pbm 2.0 block neewwwby ;)

He wants to do another build.....and HONDAS ARE GHEY!!!!!!!

itsgotgo']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]He already has a good pbm 2.0 block neewwwby ;)

He wants to do another build.....and HONDAS ARE GHEY!!!!!!!

Yes, i realise he has already got a 2.0 block hence why I said why not STICK with the 2.0.

Hondas are not gay. They are some of the finest engineered small engines around from a performance perspective. most of the fools that do them up are gay, though.

For what they are, hondas are tough.

Ask anyone that regularly races......stripped hondas are very competetive even with turbo cars come track day.

Shale said:

^ He's putting the PBMS into a track project, and doing something more 'exotic' as it were for the Legacy. He's also mentioned that several times. It's common knowledge.

My reasoning behind it all remains. a strong 2.0 block can be build for peanuts(comparatively) and for a streeter the benefits he would get with the other engines mentioned in the thread......well......the cost would outweigh the benefit.

Nice try.

Anyway - there is a lot out there for the 2.2 as it's a standard size in LHD-land - and the tuning gear is decent too. The rest is available here. There are strong bases for the 2.2 available too (Legacy SS motor). I guess the original question is, will AVCS help in the 2.2 or similar application? The 2.0 has been done to death and while it is a mighty fine engine, if you want to try something exotic you might as well start at the crux of the issue; different block. It's not the destination, but the journey :)

Shale said:

Despite several projects going for 300hp, I'd be happy as hell with 250 on a 2.2. Zzyzx did 300 on a 2.5 with a massive throttle body and SOHC heads with mild cams.

not really wanting to start up a n/a turbo debate again (even tho it will)

WHY? you could get a td04 and make that power with almost no lag... dont need a venting bov or anything to give away it being turbo, well any more than what you have now...

if its about doing something different & wanting n/a (and if you got the money, which it will cost anyway) do a 3L or 3.6L

anyone who sees you is just going to think your muppet in a n/a with some sti parts to make it look turbo. ok it would be impressive to see a n/a 2L keeping up with a turbo 2L, but anyone knowing what it is & how much u spent to get there is going to laugh when they think how easily they could smoke you with a bit of coin

Nail. Head.

I know you are interested in "the journey" but lets be honest we have heard all this before.

And your journey hasnt taken you far thus far.

Im not trying to say Reubens wont, as he has actually acheived a fair bit.

Let the guy answer for himself please, as Reuben actually has something interesting to add usually.