Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2-pot to 4-pot...cert or any such thing required?

MercuryFree

TURTLE said:

Someone will care if you have an accident and the insurance company doesn't pay out because of it.

That someone will be you when you take that big fat rip off right up your caboose.

Better be safe than sorry.

yer totally.. jesus.. When i get my cert sorted.. im basically going to get anything and everything down to nuts and bolts put on eh.. just in case someone tries to stick it in my arse so's to speak should anything bad happen

yea there was a thread about it a while back with a link to doc saying slotted or change material - carbon etc needs a cert.

as i said no hassles and i doubt anyone would pick up on it...

then again insurance aspect of it yes, they will throw anything they can to not pay out...

No problems with mine but ive notified the insurers that ive fitted bigger brakes and a manual box. They assured me over the phone that the modifications were allowed and accounted for and my insurace policy now states the car has been modified.

I had to get new rotors for my last warrent and got DBA slotted ones .. only thing guy asked when I went for the re-check was.... "what are they? racing rotors?" no questions about cert or anything..

Might have to ring my insurance company though....

It doesn't matter what your insurance company says it will or won't cover. The only time insurance wouldn't cover an accident involving a car with slotted rotors is if the slotted rotors caused the accident. i.e. someone slots their rotors to deep, needs emergency braking, rotors disintegrate causing accident. Insurance company would likely not pay out cert or no cert due to unsafe car. even if it was certed the certifier would run for the hills saying those weren't the rotors on the vehicle when I certed it.

As for 4 pot front brakes, again if they are the cause of the accident (i.e. not connected or bolted on properly) you will not likely be covered. But to be fair if your factory brakes caused an accident due to similar problems you probably still wouldn't be covered and would likely be criminally prosecuted depending on the severity of the crash.

As is with everything on your car, if something on your car causes an accident by not being up to WOF standard even if you have a WOF at the time you probably won't be covered. Best example of this is bald tyres, but with a WOF, hit someone in the rear during rain. Watch your insurance company wriggle out of paying a cent.......Hope it wasn't a BMW :o

Treecrusher said:

It doesn't matter what your insurance company says it will or won't cover. The only time insurance wouldn't cover an accident involving a car with slotted rotors is if the slotted rotors caused the accident. i.e. someone slots their rotors to deep, needs emergency braking, rotors disintegrate causing accident. Insurance company would likely not pay out cert or no cert due to unsafe car. even if it was certed the certifier would run for the hills saying those weren't the rotors on the vehicle when I certed it.

As for 4 pot front brakes, again if they are the cause of the accident (i.e. not connected or bolted on properly) you will not likely be covered. But to be fair if your factory brakes caused an accident due to similar problems you probably still wouldn't be covered and would likely be criminally prosecuted depending on the severity of the crash.

As is with everything on your car, if something on your car causes an accident by not being up to WOF standard even if you have a WOF at the time you probably won't be covered. Best example of this is bald tyres, but with a WOF, hit someone in the rear during rain. Watch your insurance company wriggle out of paying a cent.......Hope it wasn't a BMW :o

Yup and as I have said before and I battle with this with people is that your car HAS to be up to WOF standard at ALL times while being driven on the road(barring any little incidents of course)

People think that their vehicles only need to be at wof standard at WOF time,and use the WOF check to find out what is wrong and needs to be fixed **** WRONG***** this includes one of the things I am anal about and that is non working headlights WTF

Also I have always upgraded to 4 pot brakes, have never had a cert, have always got VTNZ WOFs and have never been asked a question by anyone about them.

If you make modifications to a Subaru with Subaru OEM parts and do it properly, 95% of the population wouldn't know it didn't come from the factory like that. ;)

Best thing about that is you don;t need a long list of modifications on your insurance policy. As far as they are concerned my car is factory bar lowering springs.

Swindog said:

Youll need a cert if you run adaptors to change from singles at the rear to 2 pots cos it changes mounting points.

I did go through quite a few WOFs with them without cert but a VTNZ or On-road will pick them up.

The set I have are from a v1/v2 so only have the single pot rears so not applicable in my case, but good to know regardless :)

Swindog said:

Youll need a cert if you run adaptors to change from singles at the rear to 2 pots cos it changes mounting points.

I did go through quite a few WOFs with them without cert but a VTNZ or On-road will pick them up.

Thats why you change everything to OEM spec ;) No need for aftermarket parts that way.

• 5 months later...
 pl0x said:

yea there was a thread about it a while back with a link to doc saying slotted or change material - carbon etc needs a cert.

as i said no hassles and i doubt anyone would pick up on it...

then again insurance aspect of it yes, they will throw anything they can to not pay out...

Dragging up old posts :P But I was just looking at the thresholds (From 2004) for certification and you're allowed slotted as long as they are a catalogued part for your car and is the same size as OE and uses the OE mounting points. So technically, carbon ones would be allowed if they fitted within those specs.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/CertThresholdScheduleApril04V3.pdf

Swindog said:

Is it possible to change out the rear hub that has the correct mounting points for 2pots or don't the hubs change over (ie 89gt legacy with later model wrx rear hubs)

666SubSpeed']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

Is it possible to change out the rear hub that has the correct mounting points for 2pots or don't the hubs change over (ie 89gt legacy with later model wrx rear hubs)

yer v 7/8 WRX hubs :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can get away with it no problem, untill like was addressed a few times, you have a crash. i had 2 warrents with a lexus conversion and a manual in my hilux with only a cert from a previous owner putting a power steer unit in. but i have taken off the road to cert and do more work. what im trying to say is it dosnt matter what your warrent station say if your insurance can find the slightest way out they will. 500 bucks is a small price to pay in the long run, to make the cert realy easy id even drill the heads of the bolts and put tie wire through. best security you can have