Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Synchro gearboxs, PPG, Dogbox etc

Disruptz

Has anyone had any experience with these on the forums? I'm not too in the loop about them, but know you can synchro shift. I'm looking at a 1-2 dog synchros engagment box, what happens to the other 3 or 5 gears? would they need to be clutch engaged?

are dogboxes & straight cut gears street legal in New Zealand?

I have never seen a street car with them, I only presume because of the high price.

You either have a dog-engagement which means you can pluck that gear without a clutch and at any rev.

Or else you have syncro engagement, which means you need to use the clutch. Unless you're a rough *&#t (or really skilled).

You can get helical or straight cut gears with dog-engagement. Straight cut puts less stress on the gearbox casing as there's no thrust loading through the input/output shafts but helical gears are stronger (if the same width) as there is better tooth engagement. Straight cut is also rather noisy and not very nice to have to put up with on a daily (or even weekly) basis.

Yes they are dog boxes and straight cut gears are legal. Just expensive and a pain in the ass. Unless you're really worried about the extra weight, a six-speed is stronger and is nice and quiet to drive. You can get dog engagement straight cut gearsets for the six speed boxes which are even stronger again.

You don't see them on the street in NZ due to the fact that there's no point unless using for something competition based. However they are quite common in Australia (and used on the street)

You'll have to feed it clutch's and change Gearbox oil at around 5000ks so not a viable option for road duty.

General road driving will require rev-matching and double clutch and so will be slower than a synchro box.

If your retaining standard 3-5 (???) then you'll need to treat these gears as normal, most when doing this mod and keeping the vehicle road registered then they modify 1-4 and retain the standard (and not noisy) 5th gear for motorway use.

Koom']

[quote name='Joker said:

not to mention the noise of a 'dog'box

/quote]

Its the striaght cut gears that are noisy. A helical gear dogbox sounds like a normal gearbox.

Are they still noisy when engaging the gear? As in the dogs clunking together?

i run a straight cut first and helical billet syncromesh gear set in my 89 rs legacy, which is road driven and drag raced mostlly, i installed it myself but the gearset was imported from oz by reese at reckless performance in invercargill who is the agent for par gearsets. i drive just like a normal car as it still runns syncros although i put in the double syncros from a later model wrx box. this set up is claimed to handle 500hp atw. my set has had over 200 launches at over 6000rpm with a solid centre heavy duty puck clutch being dropped on launch and never hurt the gearset. yes they are expensive but you neeed to weigh up how your going to drive it and how many standard boxes that you would go through compared to the price of a billet syncro setup. the next step is full dog ingagment but they are not recommeded for daily driving because of the wear on the dogs and cost of maintenance , also not very nice to drive around town rev/road speed matching to change down etc etc.

check out fst rs on u tube to see pics of my box/gear set, or pm me for more info

off2harrys']

[quote name='keltik said:

buy a VTD 4eat, stick an IPT valve body in it, re-clutch it, mod the tcu, fit a high stall torque converter and say hello to 11's in a forester

/quote]whoa thats a whole nutha language to me

Basically mod an auto.

BC5RA']

[quote name='keltik said:

buy a VTD 4eat, stick an IPT valve body in it, re-clutch it, mod the tcu, fit a high stall torque converter and say hello to 11's in a forester

/quote]whoa thats a whole nutha language to me

Basically mod an auto.

OH rite mod an auto... I got the 11's bit

It's like $800 for a high stall torque converter, IP body would be like $1200, prob looking at $2500 all up,..

I can buy a manual transmission for like $500...and swap in a dog set for $1200 1st & 2nd)...then another $3000 for misc.... maybe that's a dream.

• 2 weeks later...
 Disruptz said:

Has anyone had any experience with these on the forums? I'm not too in the loop about them, but know you can synchro shift. I'm looking at a 1-2 dog synchros engagment box, what happens to the other 3 or 5 gears? would they need to be clutch engaged?

are dogboxes & straight cut gears street legal in New Zealand?

I have never seen a street car with them, I only presume because of the high price.

I have a PAR gearset in my 5 speed STi Box, currently up for sale, the gbox, diff, gearset, everything complete. Rated too 450hp. Check my listing in the For Sale area for details. Going very cheap....

Total spent on the setup is $7000, selling for less than half that

So, is it possible to say, get straight cut gears on first and second only. Do people make aftermarket setups like that, or would it have to be custom? And are straight cuts noisy all the time, or only when engaged (so whining on first and second, then quiet on third and up for example)?

What about dog engagement, can you still use them like normal with a clutch when you're not going for it, or is it revmatching like a nazi/double clutching all the time (and flat shifting when you're going for it right?)

Anyway, saw this vid last night - bloody awesome

Straight cut gears in my Auto ;D

"I can drive a manual" jsut so you guys know, I picked up the auto dirrtt cheap fresh from JPN low k's. :D

..From what Iv'e read a dog box you only need the clutch for a stop->go then after that who cares. They sound the Sehx thou.

Disruptz said:

Straight cut gears in my Auto ;D

"I can drive a manual" jsut so you guys know, I picked up the auto dirrtt cheap fresh from JPN low k's. :D

..From what Iv'e read a dog box you only need the clutch for a stop->go then after that who cares. They sound the Sehx thou.

Ever driven more than 10kms in a car thats got straight cut gears??

Ear Muffs are necessary, and its sounds teh ghey :P

Koom said:

I've been in a couple, I wouldn't recommend long distance, But i wouldn't say they sound gay.

BC5RA']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

I've been in a couple, I wouldn't recommend long distance, But i wouldn't say they sound gay.

More just putting it into the type of language that it appears he speaks ;)

The ringing in your ears for ages afterwards is a major pain though.

Dog gears in a street car would suck harder than someone trying to crash start a leaf blower.

When every you arent under power and driving at a constant speed it sounds like a bucket of bolts is been thrown around in your gear box. Not to mention putting it in gear is alot less than ideal at the traffic lights.... crouch, hold, lean, engage....

I like it anyways...they fo shizzle on tha laydeizz nizzles.. 8)

I like the layze style of no clutching, it's grown on me. ;D but then again it's a a bit like driving around town as if you were playing Gran turismo etc with the two pedal steering wheels..

Manual FTW= no more my miss's trying to drive.