Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RWD my GTB

hey everyone

I,ve done the second gear syncro on my 96 GTB.

since im taking gearbox back out i am going to lock the centre diff.

if anyone has done this i would like to know.

is the rear diff able to take the extra load?

will i get a more powerful car since im not running the front wheels?

any info would really help

Thanks AKAY

My GTB used to be rwd when the last owner had it. Broke a diff on average every three weeks, axles sporadically aswell. Plus he had the same amount of power as my RS and I'd leave him behind everywhere. It doesn't work too well with the standard bilsteins and was really unpredictable to drive.

from someone who has a rwd conversion.

yes the rear diff will be fine for day to day driving, but start spinning the tyres, drifting, dropping clutches at high revs, and you will break the diff or axles for sure eventually. and no you wont have any noticeable power increase, there is a tiny increase though. i also have my front diff totally removed, saves the gearbox spinning it for nothing.

i have only managed to break one diff, wasnt totally poked just wore out the front bearing. i just try not to drop the clutch as that force isnt good for it ;D

i have however blown the gearbox up twice, first time i lost 1st gear, had to do a large rebuild, cost $1000 trade in parts alone, and then it cooked a transfer case bearing, that was a few hundred worth, and i have just rebuilt it for a third time with new input shaft bearings.

i see the gearbox as the weakest link.

so yea all in all i say if its what you want then go for it. you will also sacrifice some handling doing the conversion.

JoKer said:

we know you want to Demo!

there is/was a basic guide around somewhere

GTB is par with V3/4 STI so not as fragile as the rest of the minions (not entirely true but makes me feel better

sshhhhhh me not gonna RWD the brumby me not well maybe a wee bit

:)

subieboy']

[quote name='Durty-Sanchez said:

Do it!

/quote]

Ha Ha..

Dale from P/N's old car..

Depending on how old those pics are may be him driving...

LOL Yep...

He sold it a while ago.

Not sure who too..

I worked with him on a few building sites a few years ago..

Only trouble was we never really got much work done. We spent most of the day talking Subbie's

Thought that was his car...

• 4 weeks later...

from someone who has both a bf5 converted to rwd, and now my bc5 also, if you are going to do it, do it right, in saying that with the first setup I did in mf bf5 I only managed to bust one diff and then one rear halfshaft and that thing got a hell of a hiding, ate about four sets of rear tyres before the diff blew the first time and then another few before it snapped an axle, my mechanic said that usually the axle will go before the diff (dont know how true that is but have even heard of quite a few 4wd subarus snapping rear halfshafts), then I bought a decent second hand diff and had an engineer make up some nice thick custom halfshafts and havnt looked back since, the setup has had a hell of a beating, and hasnt failed yet, allthough those new halfshafts are now in my BC5 which is going to be pumping out a whole shitload more grunt than the wagon so be interesting to see how it lasts, also id say suspension setup will play a big part in how it handles as a rwd, havnt driven a setup on stock suspension before but even with coilovers etc in the wagon it felt a shitload better to drive once it was given a wheel alignment as a rwd etc