Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best head to put on CD block?

Ryan

ReubenH said:

Ryan, that blown EJ20R of yours is perfectly good for a build with a CD block. That's basically what i did with mine, been running sweet for 25,000K's now with V3 STi stuff strapped on, such as manifolds and ECU and such, with VF39.

And San, auto GT's are 7000, cause they have the EJ20H. Manuals with the EJ20R are 7500, and mine's shown no issue with the STi's redline. Part numbers on the cams for 20R's and STi 20K's are the same, but that's a discussion had before. Also, apparently V3 is shim over. V4 is the shim under engine. I can't recall if my GTB (BG5C, so same gen as V4) was shim under or over... i have pics though.

pic 1 and pic 2

Can anyone tell if that's shim over bucket or shim under? I'm still learning.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is the same between proper GTB, and STi, and what is different. I was once told they were the same, and shown proof by someone who knows a feck load more than i. But lately i've been finding out some tid bits that confirm, and bits disprove that claim.

where the HELL did you get the informations on the V3STI as shim over? the only shims over i seen are off foresters, jdm wrx and GT/RS-Bs.ive striped more motors then you think. most of the cars that i worked on are ver3 and 4 STIs. you got pic? i got the block and heads at my place. oh sorry 2 sets of heads here. a V4STI which is on trademe. 2 sets of JDM4, GTB heads, 2 Ver5 RA heads from my old V5RA shin overs and V7STI heads which im building up

Qwerty said:

I think you can but has anyone done it ?

you can, you just need the matching pistons to get the right compression ratio, later pistons have less dish volume than the earlier pistons

shim under (sti v3-6) or solid lifters (sti v7+) is a far superior valvetrain to the shim over stuff

the shim under arrangement is a solid abutment of parts that cant come apart without removing the cams; the shim over stuff are comparatively loose layers sandwiched together thus having more clearance, this is a problem at high rpms when the layers can come unstuck, fly out and stuff your motor

SPANKU said:

where the HELL did you get the informations on the V3STI as shim over?

Er, boostin. But we've since found that they were indeed shim under (so there's a bit of foot in mouth on my behalf there). Turns out his V3 STi heads are actually just WRX heads. Bummer.

ReubenH']

[quote name='SPANKU said:

where the HELL did you get the informations on the V3STI as shim over?

/quote]

Er, boostin. But we've since found that they were indeed shim under (so there's a bit of foot in mouth on my behalf there). Turns out his V3 STi heads are actually just WRX heads. Bummer.

sorry, i didnt ment to make it out like its in a bad tone. just suprised you said that as where there are a whole thread about these heads in here.

Optical said:

shim under (sti v3-6) or solid lifters (sti v7+) is a far superior valvetrain to the shim over stuff

the shim under arrangement is a solid abutment of parts that cant come apart without removing the cams; the shim over stuff are comparatively loose layers sandwiched together thus having more clearance, this is a problem at high rpms when the layers can come unstuck, fly out and stuff your motor

interesting. any information/opinion on the V2 sti ra heads? supposedly solid lifter?

Optical said:

Is the v2ra lifter a solid replacement for the hydraulic lifter? Sorta like the evo guys do?

Or something else...

From what I've seen and heard of you can't swap the Hydraulic lifters out for solid lifters within Subaru components.