Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More brakeShudder..........WTF???

Hailz

Riteo so in the weekend I put new brakes in the wagon, brand new discs and new bendix ultimate pads to get rid of the shudder it was getting under braking, so drove round real quietly so as to bed them in for a bit - about 150kms, and there is brake shudder there!! It's driving me up the wall! Its not half as bad as before but still there, what do I do now?

DRFVDR said:

wheels balanced

wheel nuts tightened uniformly :)

did u do all the brakes or only the fronts

are the tie rod ends/suspension bushes in good nick

Just the fronts as it was comming through the steering, will get wheels balanced tomorrow, tie rods are 15k old but rear bush on front controll arms have about 3-4mm of movement (stupid undersized nolathane crap), do you think this might be the prob? Whilteline ALK goes in on Thurs so that will fix the bush problem. If you give the pedal a good stab it wont do it at all.

Smurf

Both pistons in each caliper seemed to move freely when I pushed them back into the caliper so at a guess I would rule that out

Well slider pins all moved freely, wheel bearings seem sweet as and no movement, went round a round about yesterday and gave it a bit of stick and the steering wheel wobbled back and forth quite badly without the brakes on - not tyre spin or anything so its getting worse, scared the crap out of me! Dont know what to do next, its going in to mechanics tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to come up with something

Cheers so far guys

keltik said:

Wheels unbalanced/buckled?

Easy enough to stick the fronts on the back and see if the problem goes away

Hmm that might make sense then, I've already got one with a very light flat spot on the back so I'll get the front ones checked tomorrow and see what I come up with

So many things it could be eh! Agreeing with the front to rear, see if the sensation disappears or changes.

Re: bent/buckled wheel, I have a rim that's goneburger - they wouldn't put it back on the car because of the vibration it caused. Thing is, it would gain resonance at a certain speed rather than under braking.

Now, IIRC you can shake a wheel around that has a blown bearing, yes? As in rattle it back and forth with your bare hands when it's up off the ground.

Ok so wheel bearings checked and all ok, wheels balanced up mint, but I think the whiteline ALK has sussed it out - I reckon it was the movement in the front controll arms that was causing it, car tracks along really well now, no pulling all over the show. So yeah no more shudder as of yet - so should be good!

Thanks for all the help peoples!